Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Utah BBQ Association honors Marine veterans!
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Utah BBQ Association honors Marine veterans!
2 Pigs Smokin BBQ team was approached with the possibility of a cook for a couple of Marine Veterans, who have served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and were going to be home in Utah for Xmas leave.

Jonathan from 2 Pigs asked for help and assistance from members of the Utah BBQ Association, in a couple of hours, there was enough support to go forward with the cook and thank you meal.

Members who offered to contribute included.
2 Pigs Smokin' BBQ, Frankenswine, PattioDaddio, PackerBacker, Tubby's Smokin' Q, Utah Smoke, Team M.O.A.B, Smokin' Hot Sistahs, Hi-I-Que, Pegleg, Barbeque Heaven and some other friends of the Association, including myself!

Here is a slide show of the day.

LINK

The day never got past about 27 F but the food went on the 3 pits, that were brought in for the cook.

It got a little chilly between 2:30 and 3:30 when the sun went behind the roof, then it got colder still as the sun went down.

The two marines had served both in Iraq and lately in Afghanistan, where they were deployed in the South East of the country, at platoon strength, an hour and a half from the next nearest base.

Their unit came home from their tour in Iraq safely, but they lost 20 KIA (including an Afghan interpreter) and 153 WIA on a 10 month tour in Afghanistan.

The event went well and I know from the cook and volunteer side, we all had a great time and enjoyed being able to say thank you, to two active servicemen.

Thank you to those who serve to keep us free, and to their families and all others who support our troops!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-10-2009 11:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Utah BBQ Association honors Marine veterans!
Awww yeah! You folks are great for honoring those heroes and their families. It looks like it was a good time of fellowship and food. Thanks for being such a wonderful caring group.

In your honor

Chris - Thanks for the pics. I hope you don't mind me using/linking to them.

John
01-11-2009 01:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Thanks, Jonathan and all others, for all your time, effort, and hard work to say "THANKS" to some very deserving vets yesterday!! I only wish I could have been there to have helped as well... From the photos (thanks, Chris), it looks like they were served quite a feast - and I know that they (and their families) must have thoroughly enjoyed it...

Thanks again, Jonathan, for heading up such a worthy cause...

Hoochie
01-11-2009 08:48 AM
Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I wasn't able to make it but I would like to say Thank you to the Millitary personal and their families for protecting our freedoms and helping preserve our way of life. I would also like to say thank you to Johnathan and everyone else who stepped up and help with the effort.
01-11-2009 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, a great day with some great people, for a great cause. Thanks again Jonathan. Good to see all of the cooks together again doing what they love to do. God Bless America.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-11-2009 10:52 AM
Flexo Offline

I gotta tell you all, it is a great privilege to honor those who serve in the military. I am very grateful for the freedoms we have in this great country. I am grateful for the men and women who serve to protect our country. I am also grateful for those in our association that feel the same. It is easy for us to take a few hours and cook up some grub to honor the military. It is not easy for someone to put themselves in harms way everyday for a year or more. This is my way to thank those who serve. I am also grateful for those who came out and helped.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-11-2009 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

That was a wonderfull thing you guys did. From the pictures, it looks like everone had a great time.
Thanks for all you do guys.
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-11-2009 03:02 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Great job everyone! Very nice to show our support for the guys and gals in uniform, Great pics too!
Thanks for the birthday sing- along!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-11-2009 03:53 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

You guys all rock, great job!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
01-11-2009 07:36 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Thanks to our troops and Godspeed to those not able to be home with their families. Thanks also to you for cooking up some great 'Q for 'em.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
01-11-2009 09:23 PM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Yesterday was a great day. I can't think of a better way to spend the day than cooking for the men and women that help keep our freedoms. Thanks for all you guys do.
01-11-2009 10:23 PM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

I want to say thanks to a wonderful group on people we call the Utah BBQ Association. When approached about this dinner they wanted us to cater it for them, and Richard and I didn't feel like we could very well charge for something we enjoy doing when these people put their lives on the line everyday for our freedom. When I posted out on the website about this the response was overwhelming. It just shows me that there are great people in this association that will drop anything and come to do this dinner. To those who came and helped, what an awesome day we spent catching up on old time, talking about the present, and then looking forward to the future events where we can all once again be with friends. We even got to sing to Dave. I am sure his ears were ringing when we were done as well. To Dave and John, This event shows that distance means nothing in the brotherhood. You guys ROCK! To T, Richard, Doug, Mike, Dan, Chris(SoEzzy), Chris, Chuck, Norm, Linda, Carla, Lyle and Delanna, my words cannot express my thanks to you for making this event. The mother and father of one of the Marines told me last night before I left, that they were awestruck that some many people could care for a couple of Marines enough to take a whole day and spend it cooking just for them. People you truly are what this world needs more of. COMPASSION!! Thanks again to all, and God bless each one of you.

Jonathan
01-11-2009 11:01 PM
beensmokin Offline

Thank you for the oppurtunity to join and cook this dinner with the bbq association. Thanks to the Military men and women that give everyday we pray for your safety and your safe return to your families. The team and I are looking forward to the summers events and meeting more of the BBQ association members. T thank you for the class on trimming chicken. Mike
01-12-2009 01:17 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'm sure those Marines had a Semper Fi for you folks that made this event happen. Good job guys/gals.
I also echo comments about the military helping to preserve our freedoms. This former Sea Bee resounds a "Can Do" attitude for these gatherings.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-12-2009 01:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Utah BBQ Association becomes Organized SoEzzy 6 4,458 02-16-2011 04:14 PM
Last Post: tex-mex
  so what is the Intermountain BBQ Association??? BBQUte 16 4,545 05-03-2010 01:47 PM
Last Post: wallywombat
  2009 Utah BBQ Association Holiday Get-Together BBQMama 29 5,965 12-16-2009 11:23 PM
Last Post: Grill Sargent