Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Utah Smoke Winner UBBQA 2008 Team of the Year
Pegleg Offline

Utah Smoke Winner UBBQA 2008 Team of the Year
The 2008 winner of the Utah Barbecue Association Team of the Year is UTAH SMOKE. Congratulations T and Becci for a GREAT year. T and Becci have played a major role in keeping the association together and putting Utah barbecue on the map ---- there's no stoppin' em now!!!!

Utah Smoke took Grand at Fire Water and Ice, Reserve at the Eagle Rib Cookoff & Spudfest and third at the Stars and Stripes BBQ Blaze (July 4th) for a total of 27 points.

Now for the small print:
The scores were tallied on a scale of 1-10 with Grand Champion being a 10, Reserve a 9 and so on. The highest scores from any three UBBQA related competitions were tallied; the qualifying competitons were posted at the beginning of the year.

The qualifying competitions were Hyrum, Grill on the Hill, 4th of July’s Stadium of Fire, Fire, Water, and Ice, Rock -n- Ribs, and the Eagle Rib Cookoff and Spud Contest; also added of course was the Wild West Showdown at Thanksgiving Point.

I would like to list down to 10th place if possible but I do not have all of the scores for the Fire Water and Ice which I was not able to attend. If anyone has those scores please PM me or e-mail them to me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:earlld@ldschurch.org">earlld@ldschurch.org</a><!-- e -->.

2008 was a great year and we are all looking forward to the 2009 BBQ season.

Very Sincerely,

Lyle Earl
Chairman, Utah BBQ Association
01-05-2009 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

Nice job T and Becci!!!! I gotta a lot -o- practicing to do!!!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-05-2009 11:01 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Utah Smoke Winner UBBQA 2008 Team of the Year
A big congrats to T & Becci! A well deserved accomplishment! You two cooked your a$$ off in 2008! Thanks for all you both do for the UBBQA, It would not be what it is today with out your efforts. Now one request I have :wink: Can you just pull it back ONE gear for all of us in 2009??? ( mainly for me), Heck who am i kidding, I'm just a little 4 banger, compared to you two!!!

Congrats again! Love ya both!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-05-2009 11:04 AM
Jaybird Offline

Congrats to T and Becci!! You guys are awesome and are well deserving of this award. Thanks for what you guys do for BBQ. It's an honor and a pleasure to call you both not only friends....but family. I'll throw one back for ya tonight...cause I can't drink at work!! Big Grin

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-05-2009 11:26 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Well done Utah Smoke congratulations on a great year!

Practice, practice, practice, is what we need to do to get to the stage T and Becci are already at.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-05-2009 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Congratulations, T & Becci...

Well deserved!!

Hoochie
01-05-2009 01:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Arlie Bragg Offline

Congrats T and Becci, andthe whole Utah Smoke Team, I know the whole community is proud of you and your promotion of bbq through out the area. I dont care what Ed says you are a great PIt Master! Arlie
01-05-2009 02:05 PM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Great job T and Becci. You guys definately deserve it.
01-05-2009 02:16 PM
norm Offline

Great Job. Thanks for all you do.
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
01-05-2009 05:28 PM
okcbbq Offline

Great job T and Becci you both rock 8) 8) !!
01-05-2009 07:24 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Congratulations Becci and T.
01-05-2009 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Congratulations on a great year! Y'all done good.

You'd better eat two bowls of Wheaties before our next meeting on the competition trail. Papa's got a brand new bag. :shock: Big Grin

John
01-05-2009 09:13 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Humm..... Just Two bowls???? Idaho BBQ in 2009 Baby!!!!!!! Yo??? Slow Joe? You in this? If not we'll take Cajun and Hoss and Ty :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-05-2009 09:56 PM
hossrocks Offline

PackerBacker;p="13224 Wrote:Humm..... Just Two bowls???? Idaho BBQ in 2009 Baby!!!!!!! Yo??? Slow Joe? You in this? If not we'll take Cajun and Hoss and Ty :wink:

Dave

Whaaaaahoooo, I'm ready baby! T and Becci congrats on the award. Well deserved.

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
01-05-2009 10:14 PM
Unregistered

PatioDaddio;p="13221 Wrote:Congratulations on a great year! Y'all done good.

You'd better eat two bowls of Wheaties before our next meeting on the competition trail. Papa's got a brand new bag. :shock: Big Grin

John

Oh, I don't know, Patio.... What do all you Utah cooks think about that kinda talk???

I figure it will be more like
Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss... :twisted:

Hoochie
01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Unregistered

I was just kidding folks! I didn't mean to throw down a gauntlet. Haven't y'all been around me enough yet?! Big Grin

I have every confidence that T and many more of my BBQ brothers and sisters will continue to beat me handily.

John
01-05-2009 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Hoochie-Que;p="13227 Wrote:I figure it will be more like
Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss... :twisted:
I think you got the wrong link. Are you sure you weren't after this one? 8) Again, I kid, of course.

John
01-05-2009 10:49 PM
Three4Que Offline

Congrats T and Becci. It is a well deserved award for a great team. Looking forward to seeing you on the trail this year. What are your hours on Saturdays at the restaurant? I'll be through there on the 17th.

Doug

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-06-2009 07:36 AM
gene01 Offline

Damn T, did Arlie help you with these wins..? Congrats my friend.....
01-06-2009 10:59 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Three4Que;p="13230 Wrote:What are your hours on Saturdays at the restaurant?

Doug

Monday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sunday 12:00 - 8:00 PM

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-06-2009 01:59 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, from Becci and I,we thank the association for the first ever UBBQA Association Team of the year award. This whole thing has been a big dream come true, starting three years before the first sanctioned ROCK n RIBS, which I started. Don't really know what happened to all of those teams that showed up in those days, but some of them were eliminated because of the fuel their cookers used. The end of the third year, while hanging in front of my old restaurant with a friend from California, who you hear Arlie and Gene kid me about ED BELL, Joe and I started talking about our love for BBQ, and a way to reach other cooks in Utah. I had been around BBQ people all of my life and knew how special they were, so it was on. Look at the lifetime friendships that have been developed, because of the Association. I would also like to thank our sponsors, Camp Chef, who were super in their support of us and some of our events, giving cutting boards to give out. I'm sure some appreciated that? Also thanks to Kingsford Charcoal for their sponsorship for the 120 bags of charcoal to the cooks at R&R. Thanks to all of you, who made all of us better cooks, and we are proud of all of ya. In the coming season, I know all will step their game up as should be. From day one, my intentions were to help cooks bring their cooking game up. I was at a competition in Arizona a couple of years ago and the promotor said to me, " Hey T, why don't we have a competition between Arizona and Utah. Well, I sucked up my pride and went out the back door, after taking first in chicken and said, "Give us a few years. We have some good cooks coming. Otis & The Bird, Rythym & Que, Oink County Cookers, Blakes BBQ, just to name a few of their all-stars (a consistent bunch) But we would have to come on like those Utes came on BAMA to beat them. Hey John, Dave, Joe, Hoss, Cajun and the rest of you Idaho brothers,why am I the one you want, when two years in a row ,Petey, who cooks one comp a yr kicks my butt and all of yours! Takes GC two years in a row and I finish with RG twice to him at the Idaho State Championship. Sorry for throwing you under the bus Petey, but how does that chit work? LOL We have some good cooks which most of you will find out this year, and more coming and I know it's all in fun,as should be, anyone can win on any day. The restaurant on Saturdays will be open from 11am til 9pm. Arlie get on that State competition. God Bless, Be safe, practice, practice, practice, Winter we and thanks for all of your kind words.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-06-2009 02:06 PM
Big Hole BBQ Offline

Congrats T & Becci .Well earned and deserved. Hope you had a great holiday season take care!
01-06-2009 03:07 PM
gene01 Offline

Hey, you didn't tell me that Ed was at your place, tell him Hello for me.... make sure he cooks some events this year maybe Snowbird, don't see him in California, will have to go to Utah to see him.... again, Conrats to you and Becci...........
01-06-2009 09:50 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Gene, The last time that Ed was up here was three years ago maybe a little more. He as you know cooks on the Imperial kamado <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imperialkamado.com/">http://www.imperialkamado.com/</a><!-- m -->, so I was more less breaking him in on Showtime, my offset and he did real well. Fire control is a different animal with those two units. I showed him then how to do a brisket in 5 and a half hours. It was a fun time and he got a chance to meet some good people. I spoke with him the other night and he told me to tell both you and Arlie that he will do four or five cooks this coming year. The competition fire doesn't burn as bright for him anymore. He is also planning on coming up this year again, maybe I'll see if he can make it during a competition. Ed can cook some catfish, but the next time you come to town stop by the restaurant for another option, not a challenge but another option for ya when your in town. Good luck again in the up and coming elections, and I will remind those that are members to vote.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-06-2009 11:23 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Who da thunk, :wink: T & Becci taking top gun. It was a no brainer from where I stood or laid as the case was late last Summer. Congrats you two. Like our little buddy from up Nort says, "wait til next season" (paraphrased) a mite.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-07-2009 08:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2008 KCBS team of the year stats SoEzzy 3 981 01-02-2009 05:06 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy