Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hey Everyone! I have a simple question (not simple for me)
Pigpen Offline

Hey Everyone! I have a simple question (not simple for me)
Hey everyone, since moving out here to Utah I've tried to experiment with smoking and all the advice I've read on the forums have helped so much! But my question is when I'm smoking pork BB ribs how do I get the meat to fall of the bone? I control the heat very well, and I've tried a few ways. Any advice would be great! I hope everyone is doing good and staying warm.
12-15-2008 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Hey Everyone! I have a simple question (not simple for m
Overcooking them will make them fall off the bone. Most of us want them just done so when you bite the rib the only meat that comes off is where your teeth went through the meat. That is a perfect rib.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-15-2008 03:01 PM
Pigpen Offline

Awesome! Thank you so much, I guess I have been doing it right from the info on the forums... Thanks again!
12-15-2008 03:02 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Pigpen! Hope all is well, cold and snowy here in spudville. What ya cooking on?, time? and temp? Some of us have a lot of experience on "Fall off the Bone Ribs" :cry: :cry:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-15-2008 03:07 PM
Pigpen Offline

I'm just cooking on this tiny side by side (i think thats what it called) smoker. I'm staying around 225-250 degrees and i'm using a 3-2-1 method.
12-15-2008 03:16 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That's pretty close to what I do on the Traeger too. 5-6 hrs. Smoke 3, foiled for 2, uncovered for 1 hr, sauce here if wanted. The small end of the bone should be just visible from the rib meat. Getting hungry now.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-15-2008 03:29 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I am a little surprised that cooking baby backs 3:2:1 isn't giving you fall off the bone ribs anyway.

I do a modified 2:1:1 for baby backs and that's two hours less cooking time than 3:2:1.

One of the things I'd check is the accuracy of your thermometer, and it would be worth buying an oven shelf thermometer, they are $4 or $5 at Walmart and map the heat in your cooker.

If you buy 3 it makes mapping easier to complete in a speedy fashion, set the thermometers front to back across one end of the grate, one at the back, one in the middle and one at the front, get the pit up to temperature, pop open the lid and read the temperatures, write down the 3 numbers, then move the thermometers down to the middle of the grate, repeat, then move to the firebox end, and repeat.

This will give you a better idea about where any hot or cold spots are.

If you pit thermometer is not set at grate level it could be reading as much as 40 or 50 degrees off, as well as being in accurate.

So do a little checking and come back and let us know what the results are.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-15-2008 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pigpen Offline

That is a great idea... I will go get that tonight and try it this weekend... this snow is nothing compared to the ice storms we have back in DC. I'll switch mine to the 2:2:1 method as well. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me.
12-15-2008 04:38 PM
Unregistered

Mr. Pen :wink: - I know you're not cooking on a WSM, but you might give one or both of theses processes a shot.

Chris Lilly’s Competition BBQ Ribs
BRITU Ribs

John
12-15-2008 05:33 PM
Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

Sometime the quality of the ribs matters.....I bought some budget ribs from Pauls in MCCall last year and nothing could make those tender, much less fall of the bone
12-19-2008 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Good point BBQSki!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-19-2008 10:26 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, I once had a cook come by the restaurant in question of the same situation. In his case, I found that instead of the usual 3.5 and down rib which is the basic size of a spare sold in most stores, he got a good deal on some spares in the budget area of a meat counter . Not to say that this is the case, but the racks were 4 and up. This would also change your cooking time being a larger rack. The most used 3.5 and down rib is no more than 1" thick. Again not saying that this is the case, but it could be a possible. I have also been offered by some meat suppliers cheap case prices for 4 and ups. The only use that I have for them is to trim them and save the trimmings for rib tips in maybe a catering gig. This cut also comes from older hogs.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
12-19-2008 04:09 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

So T, you know if you were to share the recipe for that strawberry glaze of yours, it would certainly improve the taste of all of our ribs!!! Come on, give it up :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
12-20-2008 09:42 AM