Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Broiled Pizza
Unregistered

Broiled Pizza
Here's a must-try technique.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/03/broiled-pizza.html

I tried this last night using Jiffy pizza dough mix and the lid from my 14" dutch oven (upside down), and it was outstanding. I cooked them for three (yes, three) minutes. It makes a serious old-school Italian pie.

Here's the process I used:
  1. Clean the lid/pan well (no soap, of course).
  2. Put it on the oven rack so that the pan/lid surface is about three inches from the broiler.
  3. Pre-heat the oven to 450* for about 30 minutes (to heat-soak the lid/pan)
  4. Quickly (and carefully) wipe the lid/pan surface with a wad of water-soaked paper towel (to remove and residual oil)
  5. Roll out the dough. I must be super thin -- almost to the point where it's translucent.
  6. Turn the oven to broil.
  7. Prep the pie and put it on a piece of cardboard with a thin layer of corn meal
  8. Carefully slide the pie onto the lid/pan starting at the back of the lid/pan.
  9. Cook until the edges start to char.
  10. Slice and enjoy.
NOTE: Leave the lid/pan under the broiler to reheat between pies.

Give it a shot!

Next time I think I'll try putting the lid on the grill for that wood-fired deliciousness.

John
12-11-2008 01:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Re: Broiled Pizza
John,
Sounds great. I think I'll skip the Jiffy, I got a great pizza joint down the street (Wasatch Pizza) that'll sell me the dough already rolled out and rested for $2/Large Smile . Gonna have to try the lid though for that Deep dish effect that I can't get with a pizza stone.
Oh, and for a real treat, try making your own mozzarella:
Sausagemaking.org forum
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-11-2008 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Don't let the Jiffy scare you. It's good stuff and costs $0.63 at Fred Meyer. It takes about five minutes to make. One package will make three 12" pies. You have to roll it out super thin -- almost to the point where it's translucent.

John
12-11-2008 01:30 PM
norm Offline

Thanks,
I'll try it.
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-11-2008 01:37 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I was wondering about pizza on the UDS, they can run along between 425 and 475 when running wide open, lid off, so I think it might be one to try on a stone in the UDS.

I'll grab some jiffy dough from where ever I can find it as we're now out of Fred Meyers in Utah, they're Smiths here now.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-11-2008 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Chris - I don't think a UDS will give the same results, as it's simply not hot enough. You need that 600* close heat to get that wood-fired oven effect. When I try it on the grill it will be very close to a mess of coals. I'm thinking of a 50/50 Kingsford/lump mix where the DO lid is like four inches above. The problem is that you need intense heat from the top and bottom. Try it in the oven first and you'll see what I mean.

John
12-11-2008 11:46 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

I agree with John.
* You would probably want to set your lid right above hot coals.
* I would avoid putting a cold, water soaked paper towel on a hot cast iron pan. It may crack!
* You could also use a Camp Chef type stove, they heat up very hot.
* If you want top heat, you could place your pre-heated dutch oven or foil over the top to melt the cheese.
* If you get your cast iron really hot, it will burn off your seasoning and you will have to re-season.

You can just cook a pizza inside of a dutch oven with coals on top and bottom.
Or...just place it in a smoker at a high temperature, lower rack.
Myself, I don't care for the black crust.

Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-12-2008 12:11 AM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: Pizza on the Traeger is really good! Although you can't get the real high temps that you can with charcoal or wood, just open it up all the way and it works.
I have a recipe for Amish pretzels and that dough is an excellent one for darn near anything. The wife thinks we are really saving money by making our own dough. What she doesn't seem to realize that by the time we add all the toppings they cost us about $20 bucks each. Worth every penny though. :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
12-12-2008 12:11 AM
Unregistered

I have had great success doing pizza in my Stumps at around 400.... Whether "home made" or even the Digiorno- type frozen pizzas when I am lazy... I actually did my first one up at Grill on the Hill for Friday dinner and was pleasantly surprised... Took about an hour... Don't need much smoke, mostly heat.... But oh how that smoke can accent the flavor of the pizza!!

Hoochie
12-12-2008 09:06 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I hear what you say about the UDS, but as a $5.00 experiment, it's almost to cheap not to try!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-12-2008 01:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tex-mex / Idaho Offline

I prefer using my 14" Camp Chef D O with the deep lid and legs on the lid.
Just invert the pot, crust in the lid and bottom of pot to cover, put most of your coals on the bottom of the pot ( which is now the top) and enough under lid (bottom) to cook well but not burn the crust............... I also like buying my crust from the local Pizza place.

tex-mex / omar
12-12-2008 02:38 PM