Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Kingsford "Competition Briquettes"
Unregistered

New Kingsford "Competition Briquettes"
All,

For those that haven't heard, in January 2009 Kingsford will start shipping a new pressed lump briquette product called "Competition Briquettes". In other words, it's their Rancher-killer. I heard an interview with Chris Lilly and he is excited about it. He helped them with the R&D.

It will be available nationwide (Home Depot) in April. The suggested retail will be $9.49 for a 12-lb bag and $16.99 for a two-pack of 16.5-lb bags.

Just a heads up,
John
12-08-2008 12:12 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Re: New Kingsford "Competition Briquettes"
How do I get these to work in my mini log burner??? Kingsford seems to be showing an awful lot of bias here and that's not right.
I hope they don't burn in such a fashion as to allow the non enlightened folks who don't use mini logs to relax and get sleep.
I make myself laugh.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-08-2008 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Dude! You should not be home alone by yourself! Its not safe! LOL

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-08-2008 01:43 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

I know....but I don't know where John lives to check on him. If anyone has his address, please check on him.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-08-2008 02:56 PM
Jaybird Offline

I wouldn't buy Rancher again anyway. I don't have a problem with Kingsford the way it is now. Probably won't get my business.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
12-08-2008 03:38 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Jaybird what was your problem with Rancher?

Out of the bags I've had only one single bag that was poor burning, and I'm fairly sure that it had been wet at some point, either before I bought it, or after a minor flood I had.

All the others have been great and I wish it was still available out here in the west.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-08-2008 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Offline

I loved the Rancher briquettes & would buy them again in a second if available around here.

The new Kingsford Competition briquettes sound interesting. I will definitely check them out when available.

Jeff

KCBS Certified Judge
12-08-2008 05:05 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I have to say I have never used it nor looked into the pro's and cons to using lump charcoal of any brand. I have heard talk about the amount of ash or heat it generates and this and that, but that has never bothered me enough to make changes in my technique

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-08-2008 05:08 PM
Jaybird Offline

Have you ever cooked with it on your Weber kettle, snuffed out your fire and try to use it again the next time? It just turns to black dust. I bought 40 bags of it and am finally down to my last. It worked great for a 'first fire'.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
12-08-2008 05:34 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I wonder about dropping one in the pellet burning fire pot. With that convection flame a roaring, it should heat up pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying them on a Dutch oven, the regular brickets gives me a headache.
12-08-2008 07:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

I'm with Larry. I'd like to try them with my DO's as well. I'll give them a shot in the UDS too.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
12-09-2008 06:41 AM
cookinid Offline

So, are these new "competition" briquettes made from a special "competition" blend of sawdust, coal, sand, limestone, starch, borax and railroad ties? Or something else like real compresed wood with a clean smelling binder?
12-09-2008 07:34 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The most I've done with it as a second burn was in the WSM's and I'd use the nuggets that were left in the top of the chimney to fire up the next one, but I'll say you're right, they had to be handled with a light touch if you didn't want just a pinch of dust in between your finger tips.

I'd load 3/4 of a chimney of fresh and add in dross from both WSM's to the top, it would pop and spark but it was just part of my start up process, so it never really bothered me, I'll bet if i used it regularly in a kettle I'd be over it too.

cookinid that's funny!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-09-2008 10:04 AM