Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
jerky
stan.jacobs Offline

jerky
Got a Elk this week, I want to make some jerky in the smoker. Any tips advise or recipes

Thanks
10-15-2010 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Re: jerky
Never cooked Elk even though I've eaten it a few times.

From memory it was similar cuts to beef cuts, but had a whole lot less fat either as marbling or as ribbons, searched out a couple of recipes, this one sounded the best of what I found.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_recipe_spicy_teriyaki_elk_jerky/skills/13085">http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_recipe ... ills/13085</a><!-- m -->

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-15-2010 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

I have smoked an elk roast for a friend. It turned out nice. I kept a very close eye on it since it is very lean. We did marinate it in a teriyaki marinade.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-16-2010 09:49 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

I have done tons of elk jerky. Just use any recipe that you would use on beef. The taste of elk and beef are very close and the recipes will interchange.
The most requested jerky I made was to grind it up like very lean hamburger and mix in some of the "American Harvest" Beef Jerky mixes.
These mixes can be found in places like Wal-mart, Shopko etc. They are kept by the food dehydrators and canning supplies.
Very quick, easy and tastes good.
If you would like some do it yourself recipes, shoot me an email and I will send you a bunch of them in a Microsoft Word file.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
10-16-2010 10:53 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:No pics, didn't happen.
Sampson. Bull, cow, spike? Cow? good eats, can't eat antler anyway. Save the ivories.
Hi Mountain Jerky has a great line of jerky seasonings. Out of Riverton WY. They have a list of retailers on their web site <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.himtnjerky.com">www.himtnjerky.com</a><!-- w --> that gives you the store and address where they can be purchased. Used 'em for years. Available all over UT. Try 'em. Their original and teriyaki are the 2 we like.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
10-16-2010 12:10 PM
vbtjvt Offline
Banned

can't help with the jerky, Just wanted to say congrats on the elk, my son and I just got back today, didn't get anything but had a hell of a time just hanging out together.
10-16-2010 09:40 PM
mjerdmann Offline

RE: jerky
Made some Elk and Venison jerky this weekend. Learned the hard way not to slice it so thin.

What about reqular beef? Should I use sirloin, London Broil...? Any suggetions on the right beef toi use for Jerkey? THX!

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
09-12-2011 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

RE: jerky
London Broil works well for sliced whole meat jerky. BUT....... I have turned to 93% lean gr. beef for jerky. For some reason elk, moose, etc. not so available here. Confused Gr. beef is way easier as well. Hi Mountain has this caulking gun looking rig that you just squeeze out strips of the seasoned meat onto a mesh screen and slip into the smoker, 225* for 1 hour. They have a Jalepeno seasoning that's quite good also. Flavor but not too much bite.
Have fun with that.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
09-12-2011 03:12 PM