Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoking a whole Beef Round
spencevans Offline

Smoking a whole Beef Round
Hey has anyone ever smoked a whole beef round? I was thinking a cooking it like a brisket, but then I thought I should ask first, because I don't want to screw up that much meat.
12-05-2008 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Smoking a whole Beef Round
I bought one for that reason but haven't got to it yet. One of the other guys on a different forum says that it has become a favorite with some of his customers. I would think that seasoning and smoke penetration would be different from brisket but with flats going for $3.00 p/p it might be an idea. By the way, I'm just putting in my third load of flats, 8 per load for a total of 150 pounds. Church Christmas party Saturday for 250.
12-05-2008 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I've done a couple of bottom round sections and a top round section on different cooks, but I've never done a whole beef round, I liked the bottom rounds best, but my family liked the top round better.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-05-2008 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
spencevans Offline

SoEzzy;p="12738 Wrote:I've done a couple of bottom round sections and a top round section on different cooks, but I've never done a whole beef round, I liked the bottom rounds best, but my family liked the top round better.

What temp did you cook the rounds to?

4D55 Performance BBQ
12-05-2008 07:35 PM
spencevans Offline

Larry, which forum and whats his username, I want to learn.

4D55 Performance BBQ
12-05-2008 07:42 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

145 - 150 F internal, still just a touch of pink in the middle, tested deep with a digital thermometer, then tented under foil to redistribute the juices.

Some like to take it off lower, and have more pink, or take it a little higher and have no pink, if it was just me I'd probably take it off at 135 - 140, but if I do that I get complaints about pink meat, there's a part of me that likes to put the knife to a piece of beef and still hear the MOO! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-05-2008 07:46 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Dang Larry, ya'll got some meat eatin' folks at that church... over a half pound per head! I guess you can never have to much brisket tho... what's the worst that happens? You have to eat it the next day???

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
12-05-2008 10:47 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I did my home work on this one. 150 pounds raw = 100 cooked (.33 lose) = 250 6oz. portions.
12-06-2008 02:00 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Larry... Were those flats Choice or Select?? It would be interesting to know what you ended up with in weight. I cooked a case of whole packers last summer, they were Choice, and lost close to 50% :shock: I went back to Select and get about 35% loss

BTW, I thought you were going to start saying NO! to those big cooks/gigs???? Mr Yes Man :wink:

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-06-2008 10:02 AM
spencevans Offline

So to follow up, I split the round and just cooked the top round and decided to freeze the rest. I heavily coated the round with cosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I smoked the round with hickory smoke at 220 degees for around 6 hours and until the internal temp was 141*. I wrapped it in foil and placed it in a cooler for 4 hours. Then I placed it in the fridge to allow it to completely cool before slicing it on my meat slicer. The meat turned out perfect and I dont think I would change a think. We have used the meat for everything from roast beef sandwiches to fajitas and my favorite, french dip sandwiches.
12-21-2008 10:21 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

hey spence, sounds delish... but as you may have heard, around here it's "no pics, didn't happen..." especially for someone from providence, we've heard all about the guys from your end of the valley :wink: :wink: :wink:

KCBS Member and CBJ
12-22-2008 05:20 PM
spencevans Offline

sampson;p="12973 Wrote:hey spence, sounds delish... but as you may have heard, around here it's "no pics, didn't happen..." especially for someone from providence, we've heard all about the guys from your end of the valley :wink: :wink: :wink:

Well, I see how it is, and for what it's worth Q just tastes better now that I live in Providence. The air in Logan made my Q taste funny. Big Grin

4D55 Performance BBQ
12-22-2008 11:45 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

spencevans;p="12979 Wrote:
sampson;p="12973 Wrote:hey spence, sounds delish... but as you may have heard, around here it's "no pics, didn't happen..." especially for someone from providence, we've heard all about the guys from your end of the valley :wink: :wink: :wink:

The air in Logan made my Q taste funny. Big Grin

That may well be but the air out here in North Logan is clean and pure with just a hint of hickory in it...

KCBS Member and CBJ
12-23-2008 11:01 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

The air in Logan is laced with Pecan and Maple on the Island any way.
Providence seems to be afoul with the dairy scents from Nibley and Hyrum, due to the Southern breezes. :wink:
Welcome Spence. Providence is a good town. My Father and his brothers and sisters were all born there. It sure has changed over the past 30-40 years, uh, what hasn't tho. Right? Are you a newby to Providence?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-24-2008 09:58 AM
spencevans Offline

Yeah I am new to Providence but it might as well be Logan or River Hieghts. Across the street to the west is Logan and across the street to the North is River Hieghts. So I live right off Golf Course Road in the very, very Northwest corner of Providence. We moved to Providence 6 months ago so my wife could walk to work. She is the suprivsor over Vocational Rehabilitation for Cache Valley and she works just down the street at the state building.

We may be new to Providence but we have lived in Logan for the last 9 years. When I first moved to Logan all we had was a regular Walmart with no grocery store attatched. Now we have a Sam's, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. etc. I could go on all day with all the changes I hav e seen here in Logan. Soon we'll have 2 Super Walmarts which does not make me happy. Is there really a need for 8 grocery stores in Logan? Man how time flies.

4D55 Performance BBQ
12-26-2008 01:15 AM
spencevans Offline

For the record, I am not a newbie, I have been a member for over a year and a half. Also I have been a chain smoker since 2002, when I got my first little Oklahoma Joe's smoker. Big Grin

4D55 Performance BBQ
12-26-2008 01:25 AM
Sexy Mexican Offline

You boys go ahead and fight for second place in the Cache Valley. Everyone knows that Hyde Park is the Promised Land! Sampson, North Logan is close, and yet so far :lol:
Galo

"Yo Quiero BBQ!"
12-30-2008 09:28 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Where in the H [no cussing please] is Hoid Pork? That's how some of the locals pronounce it.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-31-2008 09:19 AM
Sexy Mexican Offline

Mmmmm. I love Hoid Pork! Once you get past the glow-in-the-dark crust, you have all sorts of tender porky goodness Tongue

And for the geographically challenged: Hyde Park is just north of Logan. It's a lot like Logan, only with fewer cars parked on the front lawn :shock:

Galo

"Yo Quiero BBQ!"
12-31-2008 07:33 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Hyde Park is just north of NORTH Logan... for the record you know! Therefore, as a resident of North Logan, I can claim that my Q is more of a southern thing than Gallo's :lol: :lol: :lol:

KCBS Member and CBJ
01-01-2009 10:38 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

If that be the case, Jaybird's got us all beat. Now if we be talking about CV in general Spence's got us 3 beat.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-01-2009 11:05 AM