Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2009 Grill on the Hill
jim Offline

Re: 2009 Grill on the Hill
Arlie -- looks like this is a closed contest if your holding @ 29 teams -- and preference to past attendee's. If this breaks up let me know
jim
12-10-2008 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arlie Bragg Offline

My experience says that 15% will not turn for many reasons, school, vacations, weddings, etc. They said we could have 30 teams. Lets see what happens.

Also how many teams will give out samples, they want the teams to do this in 09 to help grow the contest.

Thanks, Arlie
12-10-2008 06:26 PM
norm Offline

Welcome back Arlie.
I can't wait for them to try my 2hot2 Trotters and my Ox Lips Hoolihans. They've never had anything like 'em.lol
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-10-2008 07:18 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Arlie Hi-I-Que would love to sample.
I have been talking to the health dept about just that. They say that we can sample at a contest but if we do everyone has to do it. Its all or nothing. They said that every team has to apply for a food service permit and each booth/ team has to have some one with a valid food handlers permit at all times. This could be done but it would take some work.
12-10-2008 10:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

no1plumber;p="12820 Wrote:Arlie Hi-I-Que would love to sample.
I have been talking to the health dept about just that. They say that we can sample at a contest but if we do everyone has to do it. Its all or nothing. They said that every team has to apply for a food service permit and each booth/ team has to have some one with a valid food handlers permit at all times. This could be done but it would take some work.

Vic, my suggestion to you is to stay off the phone and let Arlie handle this.You may have just opened a big can of worms.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-10-2008 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Dave - I know what you are saying, but I can't blame Vic for looking into what it takes to be legal. There's nothing wrong with asking relevant questions of the authorities, and I doubt that there was any harm done. Let's not get all bent outta shape with our BBQ brothers and sisters about minor things.

John
12-11-2008 12:25 AM
Quote this message in a reply
hossrocks Offline

We are down for giving out samples no matter what "THE CDHD MAN" says!

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12-11-2008 05:19 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

John / Vic,

Number one I am not bent, but I guess I wondered why after all the contests that ALL of us have cooked in Utah or any other state, do WE start asking questions about handing out samples, when we have or most of us have (including Vic) done that for many years? Now with the info that Vic gave them, we all are required to have permits and or license to be there even if we don't wish to hand out samples? Thats the can of worms I am talking about. I won't be surprised one bit if the Health Dept. shows up at all of our booths possibly at or during turn in time, as they did at another competition.

I guess I will be bent if it comes down to me having to pay the state of Utah for a permit/ license just to be there to compete, and then be forced to possibly go through there inspection process.

Just my .02
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-11-2008 09:27 AM
BlackIronGrill Offline

dave i do events and cater and if u don't have someone with a food handlers permit and lic. to do events and temp food permits. they have a chance of being sued if some one get food poisoning. and u should have insurance to. and if the inspector heres there is an event they will shut u down with out the proper permits. i have seen this happen in several small town pioneer day celebrations
12-11-2008 01:41 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

But do those rules apply to a KCBS sanctioned BBQ Contests? Where the Teams are handing out samples (not selling) or possibly involved in a "peoples choice" where the public buys tickets from the promoter/organizer, and they get to also sample and vote for the there favorite? I realize the HD rules, we have them here in Idaho also, but the HD as far as I know has never been an issue in any BBQ competition that I have been to?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-11-2008 03:08 PM
Jaybird Offline

Every contest that I have been to that allows handing out to the public/peoples choice requires the HD inspection. I do not hand out food and never participate in PC.....ever.
Yes, you will see alot of teams handing out food even when there is no peoples choice category. When we started out in competition, these were grounds for disqualification. Not a KCBS rule, because they are not responsible for that.
The Pork n Brew in Rio Rancho, NM requires a food permit and all it's paperwork just to serve food to the judges...."afterall, they are people too" was how it was explained to me.

Anytime you hand food to the public you have to have HD involved.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
12-11-2008 03:31 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well, then I did it.... ASSUMED that If you weren't selling it then no permits were req. Idaho, Oregon, and possibly Washington don't req permits. I guess I was wrong for speaking up, Apology goes to Vic, for me jump'n out there, before I new the real story

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-11-2008 03:52 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

To clear things up a bit. I was not talking to the health dept about the grill on the hill cook. I was talking to them about a cooking contest that I am working on. It will be a bbq/patio cooking contest where the contestants will have to cook an entire meal from appitizers to desserts for around 6 people. One or two will be a judge for the comp and the others will be people that bid on a seat at the table.
As for the sampling talk go's. I love to let people try my Que and I let them do it any way. But in order to have it legal say for snow bird or rock and ribs you have to obey the rules the health dept sets and I was just sharing what I have learned from the health dept. They have been realy helpful on the subject and have been interested in the whole project. All in all the people that I have talked to are just following the orders that come down the line. Thats how it works in every buisness. Its just worse when your trying to work the the gov. They have to protect us from ourselves you know. Most of it is just a bunch of crap if you ask me.(and I am a plumber I should know what crap looks like)
The paper work I have doe's say that it is an all or nothing venture. Everyone has to comply even if they choose not to serve samples. They also said that if anyone is caught giving out samples at a public event then they can shut down the entire event and they have been known to do it. If the event cordinator decides not to let the teams hand out samples then no one has to buy the permits but if they let one then everyone has to buy them. The only way around it is to have the contest by invatation only which makes it a private event instead of a public event.
12-11-2008 05:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

Just curious here. Are the HD requirements different in each county? At the PG event, one of the team members had to have a food handlers permit, but no other permit was required. That was in Utah County.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
12-11-2008 05:47 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

These are the rules from the Weber Morgan Health dept. Each county is a little different but they are trying to keep them as close a possible to each other.
12-11-2008 05:50 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

In the Lincoln City, Oregon comp there is a peoples choice catagory and none of us doing the PC were required to get a HD permit. At least no one said anything to us about it. The comp was held on the Indian Reservation which may have had something to do with it too.
If samples are handed out, it would be great if it was done in conjunction with a PC catagory (Maybe a special color catsup bottle for the winner Smile ) where if you wanted to participate you did and if not then don't.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-11-2008 09:32 PM
jim Offline

I myself don't handout any samples -- takes away from the good folks that vend. We're a 2 man team, we talk to everyone that asks any question, we do promote BBQ
Mini Van BBQ // Soccer Mom BBQ -- have stuff will travel
jim
12-12-2008 03:14 PM
BlackIronGrill Offline

every coutny health department is different and some of them require u own or lease a commercial kitchen i am legal in cache, boxelder and rich counties. they don't require the kitchen but they do require food handlers permits and a special event permit and they inspect u where ever u sell to the general public. if your catering in these counties u can serve to a wedding for eample andbecause there is only one person buying your not required to have any permits including the food handler. i quit catering for two years because i couldn't get an honest answer out of hd they kept telling me if i cater i need a commercial kitchen. but if its on site catering and u prepare all your food on site u don't need one in these 3 counties. but i do know in the salt lake area to cater or serve food to any one that you need to have a comercial kitchen and a temporary permit that u need to renew every year. u can not use the kitchen in your house unless u have two and one is designated for commercial use and meets all the hd codes for a commercial kitchen. nad i think giving iout samples is a bad idea. because if the health department finds out they will shut u down. when u first get a permit they will only give u one for the event its about thirty dollars and after they inspect u u may qualify for a yearly one depend how many write ups u get and trust me they always find some plus u have to be inspected by the fire department making sure your electrial cord are up to par and make sure u have the right fire ext's on hand and that your tents are properly fire rated whish means the tags have to be left on it and u need to respray them when needed and inspected and get a new tag and pic from the fire department.
12-12-2008 04:33 PM
BlackIronGrill Offline

and if there is venders the hd will be there i guarntee it. because they will need inspected. i but into to vend and i will be legal if i get it i will get the required permits to do the event and i will only buy a 3 day permit cause i proably won't be there any more vending in that county. so iwhen apply for that permit the hd will ask when and where and there is no way i will ever vend with out being completly legal to many chances for a law suit if not legal
12-12-2008 04:39 PM
BlackIronGrill Offline

if they do shut down an event they will fine every one there to thats not legal. so its up to u if u want to take that risk. i have seen things for boy scouts selling breakfast as a fund raiser shut down and fined to town events shutdown. arlie should have done all is home work and look in to the rules for that county. all events i do inform u off the rules and who to contact in the hd and fd and if u don't have all the permits they won't let u vend
12-12-2008 04:45 PM
Arlie Bragg Offline

BlackIronGrill;p="12865 Wrote:if they do shut down an event they will fine every one there to thats not legal. so its up to u if u want to take that risk. i have seen things for boy scouts selling breakfast as a fund raiser shut down and fined to town events shutdown. arlie should have done all is home work and look in to the rules for that county. all events i do inform u off the rules and who to contact in the hd and fd and if u don't have all the permits they won't let u vend

What makes you think I havent done my home work? Just wondering...........
12-12-2008 05:02 PM
Flexo Offline

I am just letting Arlie handle it. He is more than capable

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
12-12-2008 05:05 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Grill on the hill was a top notch event last year and I beleive Arlie knows what he is doing and the people at Snow Bird will be able to figure it out. They will put on another great event this year I'm sure of it. I for one will be proud and willing to support the event either way.
12-12-2008 10:24 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

THE most important question about GotH has yet to be answered!!! Will there be a lift running to get me from my booth to the turn in desk? That climb could kill an old guy like me 8)

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
12-13-2008 06:36 PM
Three4Que Offline

Aw Chris, you aren't that old! But a lift would be nice wouldn't it!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
12-15-2008 06:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  grill on the Hill Guest 3 1,085 06-21-2009 10:46 PM
Last Post: Guest
  2009 Grill on the Hill Arlie Bragg 4 1,292 03-24-2009 03:21 PM
Last Post: norm
  Utah Competition Grill on the Hill SoEzzy 1 1,444 09-24-2008 12:14 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy