Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smokin Turkey
mjerdmann Offline

Smokin Turkey
Hello Fellow Smokers and Que'rs:

I wanted to ask for some advice on a few details. The last two times I smoked a turkey (indirect smoke heat) they turned out great. But am I doing the best way? Well here are two questions. I greatly appreciate any feedback or advice....

1. Pan or no pan? Do I just plop that bad boy on the rack and let it drip away; or put it in a foil pan and catch the drippings?
2. Rub it where? I have rubbed only the exterior skin and spinkled the cavity. Do I pull up the skin and rub the breast? (family show)

Thanks to all and to all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
11-26-2008 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

I use a pan to catch the good stuff. I get the rub everywhere I can. Even under the skin.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-26-2008 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Re: Smokin Turkey
I don't use a pan and I use a compound butter under the skin because it gets next to the meat and the skin can't block the flavor, it actually helps hold the flavor in. The compound butter can be made with just about any spice(s) you can think of. I tend to use whatever spices one would use with a stuffing. If you are making dressing in the oven match those spices so the turkey is complemented by the dressing.

Good Luck, Brian

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-26-2008 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I have done it with a pan or without a pan. Either way works. It depends on if you want the drippings for gravey. I also rub the bird every where. Pull up the skin around the neck area and seperate it from the breast by pushin your hand between the meet and the skin. Then put the rub right on the meat. I also rub the out side of the bird with olive oil and then rub it down with rub.
11-26-2008 05:33 PM
hossrocks Offline

do you guys brine the bird first? Or just hit it with the spice and cook away?

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
11-26-2008 05:36 PM
Flexo Offline

We are brining ours. I know lots do. It seems to keep it more moist.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-26-2008 05:59 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I've done it both ways. Either way turns out great. I have 6 turkeys in brine right now. I will be putting them in the smoker around 11 pm tonight. They will be ready for their families at 11 am tomarrow.
11-26-2008 08:32 PM
Pegleg Offline

I brine the bird and set it directly on the grate in my WSM. Instead of using water, I line the water pan with tin foil then "drum it" covering the water pan with tinfoil, putting a dip in in creating a mini dish to catch the drippings for gravy.

Lyle
11-26-2008 09:34 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I brine the turkey on their sides and only allow the one side to brine, takes some doing, but that way those that like drier meat, don't have to eat the moist juicy meat.

Then I like to wrap the brined side in foil, and smoke the unbrined side, I put it in half a pan and cook it...

OK I know nobody believes I would do it that way, but some time when I'm alone in the house for Tday I'm going to give it a try, honestly I am! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-26-2008 10:55 PM
norm Offline

But do the salt & sugar amounts in a brine recipe vary with the hardness of the water your using? The total dissolved solids in the brine increasing the osmotic pressure. Should I measure in parts per milliion instead of cups to be more accurate. Do other minerals beside sodium increase or decrease the ionic gap within the protein bundles? Do people in Taylorsville have to alter their recipes? Should I use distilled water to be consistent? Why do I have trouble sleeping, when I think about barbeque?
Answers to these and many other questions are greatly appreciated keeping in mind:
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. :wink:
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
11-30-2008 11:16 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I brined one for T-day and though the brine absolutely smelled awesome, there was zip in the flavor dept. from the brine. Tasted like fried turkey. Used juniper berries, bay leaves, sugar, salt, a long list of stuff and it brined for over 12 hours. Pretty disappointed. The turkey was moist every where. just bland. May haps I'll do that concoction again and inject the fowl.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
11-30-2008 06:22 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

It's not rocket science norm. It's BBQ
11-30-2008 10:33 PM
norm Offline

Yeah Vic,
But I don't think rocket science was called rocket science until they got the first one in the air. I think I would call this one electrolytic protein denaturing and hydrophillic thermoresistence in supersaturated animal proteins. Where's my grant? :lol:
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-02-2008 12:02 PM
Three4Que Offline

Sorry Norm, but your grant went out the door once Barrack was elected.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
12-02-2008 03:03 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

norm;p="12680 Wrote:Yeah Vic,
But I don't think rocket science was called rocket science until they got the first one in the air. I think I would call this one electrolytic protein denaturing and hydrophillic thermoresistence in supersaturated animal proteins. Where's my grant? :lol:
Norm

I get your point in spades Norm, but that is why I like filtered water and ice when making brines, and will be the reason I continue to do so, as long as I want or need to brine, at home or for the family.

I remember reading somewhere about water possibly affecting taste of brines as well as effectiveness of them.

Perhaps we need to got a real test going, and quantify some results?

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-02-2008 06:12 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I do know a company that you can buy a whole house filtering and softening unit from. It will remove the hardness, lead, iron, chlorine,sulfates and nitrates and you don't get that slimey feeling that you get from other softners. Bottle quality water through the entire house. That way if you want to fill your brine container from your tub or other fixture :shock: the water will be as pure as if you where getting it straight from the source.
12-04-2008 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Yeah, but then you have to find a plumber to install it. :shock: Big Grin

John
12-04-2008 03:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply