Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GRATE TEMPERATURE
rdenn_58 Offline

GRATE TEMPERATURE
Ok everyone.....here's a question I haven't heard yet. Maybe because it's dumb, but here goes. Not the first dumb question I have ever asked.

Where should the thermometer sensor be placed when trying to get the temperature for the grate? Directly on the grate....above it...below it? If it's above or below the grate, where can I purchase the clips to hold the thermometer in place? I am using a Weber 22.5" kettle now, but hope to get a WSM in the near future.

Rich
11-21-2008 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: GRATE TEMPERATURE
Hey, Rich...

I'd bet you are going to get as many answers leaning one way as you will the other... Will kinda be like asking whether to go fat side up or fat side down with a brisket in a smoker... Everyone will probably have a "preference"!

Since you are on a Weber, I'd say stay above the grill with the probe myself... Position the actual probe maybe 1/2" above the surface of the grate and not touching the meat, either... I am assuming your probe is attached to some sort of "alligator clip" that would allow you to do this...

Why? Simply because it will easier to deal with if you have to move the grate around to add charcoal, wood chips/chunks, etc... I don't see that it will make any big difference in terms of the final product if you are above or below the grate... So I say place it where it will be easiest for you to deal with if you have to...

Another consideration is to make certain the cord/cable the temp probe is attached to is positioned where it won't get damaged, either... Again, I would think that might be accomplished by coming from above...

That's my 2 cents...

Hoochie
11-21-2008 09:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

We have ours on the grate. You can cut a potato in half and push the probe through it and set it on the grate. You could use oak or hardwood of your choice and make a couple of blocks with a hole in it.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-21-2008 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Rich - Now you know what that small hole in old-school wooden clothespins is for. :wink: Seriously, they work like nobody's bidness!

John
11-21-2008 11:11 PM
Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

john, you are officially a genius!!!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-23-2008 01:36 PM
Albert77 Offline

Flexo;p="12552 Wrote:We have ours on the grate. You can cut a potato in half and push the probe through it and set it on the grate. You could use oak or hardwood of your choice and make a couple of blocks with a hole in it.

For preparation it is desirable to use wood of fruit breeds

iron scrap
04-09-2009 11:05 AM