Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'VE BEEN PRACTICING
rdenn_58 Offline

I'VE BEEN PRACTICING
Well, even though it's looking gloomy outside, the garage has become the new destination for the kettle. In the past couple of weeks, I have been bbq'g chicken, brisket, and pork loin. I am loving it!!!! I have a corner in the garage just for the bags of briquettes alone.....that's like having a pocket protector as a nerd I guess. I am learning lots from all of you and on my own. I want to start now making my own rubs. I have read some suggestions from a few of you about content and portioning, but don't yet understand how to choose which ingredients go well with what woods for any of the meats above. Any suggestions?

T, when you told me I would get hooked on this, I didn't really believe you. I am not sure I am really into it just yet, but I am certainly alot deeper into this than I even thought I would be. Maybe you saw something in my eyes that day we talked at the Eagle Rib Fest in Boise. :lol:

Again, thanks to you all for you help to us rookies. Your experience and advice is very much appreciated. And thanks to the UBBQA. Great site, great people!!!!!

Oh, and Dave......how about that Pack-Viking game this weekend? What a game!!!! :shock:

Rich from Pocatello, ID
11-10-2008 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

Re: I'VE BEEN PRACTICING
:twisted: In your garage? Be reall careful to keep the door open. A cooker will burn a lot of oxygen real fast! Besides, it's a lot more fun with a bumbershoot :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-10-2008 10:15 PM
norm Offline

Well I don't know how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, but a good start for a lifetime obsession for developing your own bbq rub(s) might be this site:
744 rub recipes at food down under
But please seek help early before BBQ bug season is in full force. I believe you are already exhibiting the classic symptoms. One warning avoid certain doctors (Dr.Mike,Dr.BBQ, The rib doctor.,etc.) as they have a reputation of making the symptoms worse Big Grin :wink:
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
11-10-2008 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Norm,

I have NEVER deliberately - and/or needlessly - and/or under the influence of laughing gas (ala Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet") extracted a tooth or performed a root canal or jabbed a needle in the roof of the mouth right behind the two front teeth on any poor soul in order to get them to Que... I repudiate the implications, kind sir, that I of all people might have made the symptoms of "Que Flu" worse for someone during any point in my professional career.... :twisted:

(And I sure ain't going down a "rabbit hole" with another man... I think they do that in CA, not UT.... Something about Prop 8....)

Hoochie
11-11-2008 12:11 AM
Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Now see what you done did? You took an innocent old expression an made it sound un-christian like. What would Kinky Freidman think? :lol:
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
11-11-2008 12:35 AM
hossrocks Offline

Take some pic and show us your hard work! :wink:

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
11-11-2008 12:45 AM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: Pictures? Down in the rabbit hole? No Thank You!!! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-11-2008 07:31 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Pardon me for just one second, I just wanted to respond to Rich regarding Sundays game...... " You Got Lucky" :wink: Ok, go a head and continue, I am staying out of this thread Tongue

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-11-2008 09:22 AM
rdenn_58 Offline

Norm, thanks for the website link. I have already added it to my favorites and can't wait to dive in.

I did a little experiment with mixing some off the shelf rubs I had in the spice cabinet last weekend on a brisket. Turned out good, but could have been better. Since I am using wood chips (don't have access to chunks in this little town), I haven't got down the technique for how much chips to use to get that best taste out of the que'd meat. All in trial by error. Next time, I will try to take some pictures and post them here for you to laugh at......I mean enjoy.

As for the rest of you out there with the rabbit hole, Prop 8, etc comments...........too funny. Way too funny!!!!!! :lol: But stay focused here. Smile

Dave, what do you mean lucky. If you hadn't paid off Frerotte for those 3 INT's, it wouldn't have been that close. :lol: Can't wait for the matchups again next year, because it certainly won't be in the playoffs. Could you guys please beat the Bears this weekend? I can't believe I'm cheering for the Packers. :oops:

Rich
11-11-2008 12:25 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Just Razz'n ya Rich! :wink: Both teams made there share of mistakes, our pass protection sucked, Rogers was running around like a scared rabbit! Oh well, I will try to take out the Bears for ya though..

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-11-2008 01:55 PM
Big Hole BBQ Offline

May the fire stay warm and the smoke stay clear.

The shoulders are on and everyone is here.

Beer is flowing and chicken is almost done.

Grab a chair and have some fun!
11-11-2008 02:14 PM
Big Hole BBQ Offline

Hey rdenn try going to sportsmans in idaho falls they have chunks of hickory,pecan and sometimes apple. I live in teton valley (victor) Id. if your ever in the area let me know, I'll get the southforkpig heated up! garlic salt(lawery) goes good with beef and lawerys seasoned salt goes good with pork! the rest is up to you. keep on smoke'n HEY PACKER BACKER WATCH OUT FOR THOSE VIKES OHHH AND CAN YOU SAY ADRIAN PETERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11-11-2008 02:15 PM
Unregistered

rdenn_58;p="12385 Wrote:... Since I am using wood chips (don't have access to chunks in this little town), I haven't got down the technique for how much chips to use to get that best taste out of the que'd meat...
Rich - A buddy of mine bought some cherry and hickory chunks from Smokinlicious and he said it was good stuff. Shipping is included in the prices you see.

Just FYI, in case you can't find any locally.

John
11-11-2008 02:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
rdenn_58 Offline

Thanks to P-Daddio for the website link. I think I may use them to stock up my initial load of goodies. I wonder if I am going to have to park one of the cars outside for the winter with the new stuff I buy. I hope the wife to be understands when she has to scrape the windshield on her car every morning. :lol:

Big Hole, I forgot about Sportsman's Warehouse. I will check with our's here in Poky and see if they stock the wood chunks too. Every once in a while I do get over to your neck of the woods. I will keep my nose a sniffin' for your BBQ. You may just get an unexpected visitor.

Sorry Dave about the Packer stuff......yeah right. It's all in good fun. I had better watch my P & Q's if I am going to get any tips from you though.

Rich
11-11-2008 03:09 PM