Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turkey Talk
Pegleg Offline

Turkey Talk
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I thought it would be great again if some of you would be willing to share a few of your turkey cookin' recipies and techniques. There are many new members that have joined up since then and this may be their first try at smokin' big bird; there are many resources on the web but there's nothin' like recipes from friends!!

John from Patio Daddio shared one last year that was a hit with my family. I hope he doesn't mind that I post it here.

The link to the thread from last years post is here: 2007 Turkey Talk

1 five gal bucket - cleaned and sanitized

1 1/2 gal Ice water + 1/2 gal tap water
1 1/2 cup Kosher salt
2 cups Dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Chinese five spice
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 oranges

- Make the ice water in the bucket.
- Bring the 1/2 gal tap water to a boil in a large pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt, sugar, juice and all of the seasonings.
- Let the seasoning mixture sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the ice water in the bucket.

Brine the bird breast-side-down at least 10-12 hours.
You may need to weigh it down to keep it submerged. I use a large rock in a ziploc bag.
I pack the top of the bucket with ice and set it outside to stay cold

(From John Dawson, Patio Daddio Competition BBQ Team)

Lyle
11-10-2008 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Turkey Talk
I've smoked many turkeys and have yet to brine one, looks like it's time to change that!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-10-2008 06:31 PM
Big Hole BBQ Offline

I cant wait to give it a shot I hope I dont blow it! Hey Patio I hope you dont mind, but the brine sounds to good not to try. My question is do any of you agree with the 30min per pound @ 225-235? I have heard different times any help would be great!
11-10-2008 07:28 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Nick, Run the smoker at temperature range of 220 degrees F to 240 degrees F. Plan on 30 to 40 minutes per pound. Smoked turkey has a different color and texture than oven roasted turkey. The meat may appear pink and have a smoother texture. The smoking process causes a chemical change in turkey that causes this color change. As long as the turkey registers a safe internal temperature above 165 degrees F. it is safe to eat no matter the color. Nick, the the coldest part of the Turkey should register the temp and when doing so, temp away from the bone. I think that when Turkeys are smoked properly they are more tender and have more flavor, but that's just my opinion. Use some of that sugar maple we spoke of bro if it's cured. Fruit woods, such as cherry or apple, in my opinion works for me with turkey. Hickory and oak work well also. Tell the lady hi man.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
11-10-2008 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I have done this turkey for the past 2 years and my family has loved it (used my BDS both times).... Has some flavors you might not think would fly well together - but they "sing in harmony"... Appears a little complicated at first look as well - but hey, even I was able to follow the pictures and make it fly... :wink:

This fellow "Alien" from Roswell, NM (real name is Mike) is a great cook and I have never been disappointed with any of his recipes...

Give it a look/whirl...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701">http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701</a><!-- m -->

Hoochie
11-10-2008 08:54 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I pass my recipe out like candy this time of year, so y'all have at it. It never seems to disappoint, but I am always open for suggested improvements.

I should mention that I developed this recipe for standard oven roasting, but it works well with any cooking method. My favorite is in the Orion cooker. Smoking with 2/3 cherry (or apple) and 1/3 hickory is great. Alder might be another good option.

Cheers,
John
11-10-2008 11:07 PM
norm Offline

What kind of temperatures go on inside that Orion John?
Been doing a recipe similar to yours for years. Same basic thing except the spices are usually a spur of the moment "lets use up these spices in the cabinet before they get old" type flavor profile. I stuff the citrus peels and the ends of the onions, celery, etc. loosely in the bird and then I roast mine at 425 in the oven slathered in oil to help brown the outside first. Half an hour or so breast side up then down. Then into the roasting bag(Reynolds?), Turn the oven down to 325 cook close to target temp then out of the bag, breast side up, and sprinkle my poultry rub waiting for a potato chip like skin to finish.
I call it my day spa turkey recipe and it cooks them big chickens up quick, like I'm sure the Orion does.
BTW, It's possible that you might not believe all this, seeing that your from the show-me state and all. Smile
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
11-11-2008 12:20 AM
Unregistered

To use Alton Brown verbiage, the Orion cooks "rocket hot". It will cook a 20lb bird in about 2 1/2 hours. Your mileage may vary. My last one took a little longer, but it was way fast and way good. The Orion is a seriously good poultry cooker. It's small and 100% stainless steel.

John
11-11-2008 12:28 AM
norm Offline

Sounds like a fancy version of Arlie's chicken under a trashcan without the galvanized metal and the zinc fever. Big Grin
Norm

KCBS certified judges
11-11-2008 12:37 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Here's a great Brine that I found. It gives the meat sweet flavor.
1 gallon cold water
2 quarts apple juice
2 quarts orange juice
2 Cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
10 whole cloves.

mix ingredients untill sugar and salt are disolved. Place turkey in brine. Brine for 12 to 24 hours.

Makes a great turkey.
Don't forget about the smoked turkey and wood fired pie class at Kents sport's store in Ogden on the 22nd. Check post Attention pellet heads: smoked turkey and holiday pie class.
11-11-2008 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Has anyone cooked double smoked ham, if so tips please for a WSM!! I tried to do one last year and the family still talks about how I ruined the Christmas ham by turning it into bologna (sp).

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
11-11-2008 05:39 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Pegleg;p="12396 Wrote:Has anyone cooked double smoked ham, if so tips please for a WSM!! I tried to do one last year and the family still talks about how I ruined the Christmas ham by turning it into bologna (sp).

Here's one from the smoke ring.

quote="jminion"

Double Smoked Ham
Dr. Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water)
1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)
1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)
2 TBS of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find)
1 TBS of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought)
1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concentrate used in the glaze or basting sauce)
1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:

Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup.

Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

Directions for use:

Wrap ham in 2 layers of plastic wrap before starting the injection process.

Using a marinade hypodermic syringe, inject at least 2 fluid ozs. per pound of meat in a grid pattern throughout the entire ham and don't be afraid to use up to 3 ounces per pound of meat.

Continue to inject the marinade into the ham until the entire amount of marinade is injected evenly into the ham.

Cook the ham as shown in the "Double Smoked Ham" recipe. Be sure to use your favorite wood for smoke flavoring.

Do not cook the ham beyond 145*F internal to prevent over cooking and drying out the ham.

Glazing Sauce:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available, which has more flavor than grade A)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 to 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.

Cooking instructions:

Score outer skin of ham to a depth of 1/2" in a crisscross diamond pattern. This will allow the glazing sauce to penetrate below the skin, into the actual ham. Place ham (un-glazed) into a shallow roasting pan or roasting rack. If pineapple and cherries are desired on the outside, add them when you start the glazing process. Cook in oven at 275-300*F with a loose tent of aluminum foil over the top for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. Baste with glazing sauce the last hour of cooking time and continue to cook until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140*F. Remove from oven and allow to sit covered for 20 to 30 minutes before carving!

Cooking instructions for outdoor cooking:

This can be done on a grill over indirect heat or in a water smoker or other type of cooker, again over indirect heat or "low & slow" type cooking. Do not tent over ham if done on grill, water smoker or other cooker; this would prevent smoke from penetrating the ham.

Place water soaked chunks of mesquite, hickory or pecan (we prefer the smoke of pecan over all the others) on coals 5 minutes before putting ham on cooker. This will allow the ham to obtain maximum smoke flavor during the second cook cycle. (The first cook cycle is the cycle the processor uses.) If even more smoke flavor is desired, place ham in freezer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours prior to cooking to allow outer edges of ham to start to freeze. Go easy on this procedure; you don't want the ham frozen hard!

Maintain temperature of cooker/grill at 225-275*F during cook cycle.

If using a water smoker, fill water pan 3/4 full with hot water and add 2 cups of orange, pineapple, or orange/pineapple mix, sweetened grapefruit or apple juice to the water. (All of them act as tenderizer as the steam penetrates the meat.) (I use a 3/4 full drip pan when cooking on the Eggs, filled with a 50:50 mix of water and orange juice.)

Again, cook for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. until internal temp on the ham shows 140*F. A couple of books suggest 145*F and 160*F respectively. Shirley O. Corriher in her book "CookWise" suggests 140*F. We found this to be exactly right. After removing from the Egg, it will climb up to 145*F internally. The ham will retain it moistness and the flavor will go thru out the ham this way.

Baste ham with glazing sauce every 10 to 15 minutes during the last hour of cooking time. Glazing compound will burn, so do not start glazing the ham until the internal temp of the ham reaches 120*F.

NOTE: The secret to this process is plenty of smoke and the real maple syrup and granular coffee crystals in the glazing sauce. Use a cheaper cut of ham like mentioned before, and people will think you bought an expensive ham that you had to "hock" your kids for! Yuk! Yuk! (see my pun there?) The glazing sauce will give the ham a fantastic taste, smell and color! /quote

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-11-2008 05:53 PM
Unregistered

I thought we were talking turkey. :wink:

Anyone ever tried turkey ham? :shock: Smile

John
11-11-2008 08:34 PM
Pegleg Offline

PatioDaddio;p="12400 Wrote:I thought we were talking turkey. :wink:

Anyone ever tried turkey ham? :shock: Smile

John

Okay John, I'll save it for the "Ham'n It Up" topic I'll start at Christmas time. Tongue Everyone, please ignore the last three, four posts. Maybe that's why it tasted so bad -- musta been the discolored one I got in the bargin bin. :oops:

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
11-11-2008 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Lyle - I was just razzin' y'all. Let's talk turkey, ham and tofurkey (gag). Big Grin

John
11-11-2008 11:43 PM
Three4Que Offline

What? No turducken? :roll:

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
11-12-2008 08:00 AM
norm Offline

I tried turkey ham once, but found they were too small, and not the best part of the turkey, in my opinion. :o
Norm

KCBS certified judges
11-12-2008 08:07 AM
Sexy Mexican Offline

Hello:

2 questions on smoking the bird. I've read that you shouldn't try to smoke one that's over 15 lbs. Is that correct? I've got a lot of mouths to feed and ususally live by the mantra "bigger's gotta be better". Also, I read on one site where they recommended turning the bird over (breast side down) half-way through the cook so that the breast meat stays moist. Sounds fishy to me, but what do the experts think?

Gobble, Gobble

Galo

"Yo Quiero BBQ!"
11-13-2008 11:16 PM
BBQMama Offline

The reason given for not smoking a large bird is that you can't get the meat up to safe temperatures quickly enough. The last few years I've smoked a couple of smaller birds ... mainly because they get done faster. And I haven't ever turned the birds halfway through ... no moisture problem either.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
11-14-2008 10:02 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Three4Que;p="12416 Wrote:What? No turducken? :roll:

If you ever get the chance try a Goochicduckpheas instead, it's built to the same design as a turducken, but it is a pheasant in a duck in a chicken in a goose, and makes a fine meal if you can get your poultry man to do all the boning out for you.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-14-2008 10:24 AM
Pegleg Offline

I always smoke the biggest birds I can get, the largest being about 24 pounds. I add Mortons Tenderquick to the brine becuase it inhibits bacterial growth during the cooking process <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbq-fyi.com/morton-tender-quick.html">www.bbq-fyi.com/morton-tender-quick.html</a><!-- w -->

I drum the water pan then get my WSM as high temp as I can and throw the bird in. No one has ever gotten sick from the birds I cook or maybe I'm just plain lucky. Thoughs anyone????

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
11-14-2008 10:40 AM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

PatioDaddio;p="12362 Wrote:I pass my recipe out like candy this time of year, so y'all have at it. It never seems to disappoint, but I am always open for suggested improvements.

Cheers,
John

Really??? I need your competition chicken recipe. Thanks.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
11-14-2008 07:19 PM
Unregistered

SlowJoes;p="12452 Wrote:Really??? I need your competition chicken recipe. Thanks.
Here you go:
1) Brine with Patio Daddio Bird Bath
2) Pat dry and season with Patio Daddio Mild Love Rub
3) Cook over a real fire to perfection (pellets need not apply)
4) Lovingly slather with Patio Daddio Lively & Lovely sauce
5) Turn into the judges

:wink:

John
11-14-2008 11:10 PM