Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brian's Big Egg is in the big Apple
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Brian's Big Egg is in the big Apple
I spoke with Brian tonight and he is doing great! I asked him to send me some info on his exsperience while in NY. He e-mailed me, and I told him I would pass it on. But as you know Brian does have a great way with words, so i will just Cut and Paste it.

Brian it was cool to here the excitment in your voice tonight, way to go man!

Enjoy your time, you earned it :wink:
Dave:

Dave, here is a little story to spark your interest. Thanks for letting everyone know what is going on. You are a good man and I am blessed to call you friend.

B

My New York experience;

I took the red eye flight out of Salt Lake City 10 minutes after Thursday began and arrived at 6:30 AM local time. After renting a car and getting the GPS set up to find the Forbes Art Gallery I began the foray into the jungles of The Big Apple. It took me just over 2 hours to drive the 20 miles into Manhattan. On a side note, if you are going to just stay a day or two use taxis. The traffic could make the Pope cuss. Anyway, when I arrived at the gallery I met with Elizabeth Marwell who is my point of contact for delivering my egg. She was very good to me. She gave me a one-on-one tour of the gallery and a couple of books which provide photos of much of the permanent part of the gallery installations. While we were on our tour her boss came in, Margaret Trombly Kelly, who also spent a few minutes talking with me about the egg. While the three of us were talking in the front lobby, the director of the gallery came into the lobby (can't remember her name) with a man whom everyone I was talking with obviously thought was significant. They introduced me to him as Robert Forbes!!! He is the #1 figure for the gallery and one of the sons of Malcolm Forbes. I also found out that the Forbes family owns that building which contains the gallery in down town Manhattan. I can't imagine the cost of a multi-story building on 5th Ave in Manhattan. Later, after we were done talking, Mr. Forbes was very nice and spent a few minutes of his busy schedule to talk with me about the egg I carved.

Elizabeth was the only person I spent any length of time with. She was fascinated by the layered nature of the emu egg shell. She did not know that it had layers. Like most other people, she thought the colors were paint or stain. She also was not aware that it was carved by hand. She is very knowledgeable about what is in the gallery and a genuine nice person. She is a great asset for the gallery.

After checking out the gallery for a while I drove around Manhattan and saw the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and Macy's (THE MACY'S).

As for tomorrow, we shall see what other adventures are in store.

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-06-2008 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maryann Offline

Re: Brian's Big Egg is in the big Apple
wow! that's great! Sounds like he had a very memorable time.
11-06-2008 11:40 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: WOW is right! Brian alone in New York City! That is a little scary! I hope he gets out of there alive, and with his wallet. :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-06-2008 11:56 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I pity the poor New Yorker that tries anything on with Brian, we might be hearing about someone found cooked "just right" over an open pit, garnished lightly with Parsley and a developing "long pig" rub! :wink:

If you have the time while you're there Brian, I think you should walk in to the Food Network HQ and challenge Bobby Flay to a throwdown, just for the devilment!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-07-2008 09:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ya, someone throw Bobby a curve, challenge HIM to a throw down. That'd be funny.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
11-07-2008 02:56 PM
Brian Offline

OK so here is the quick version of the last two days for those who are following the on going saga of "The big Egg in the Big Apple." I am writing this on Saturday night. First, Here is a picture of Elizabeth from the Forbes Art Gallery. She did everything she could to make me feel welcome. My gratitude goes out to her.
[fullalbumimg]252[/fullalbumimg]

Thursday: The weather here is uncharacteristically warm according to everyone I have talked to. There is a special display of Japanese Chrysanthemums at the New your City Botanical Gardens and since the weather is cooperating I chose to go see the Japanese display of flowers and Bonsai. Those of you who know me know I keep Bonsai trees. I spent a great day wandering the gardens getting ideas for future carvings.
[fullalbumimg]253[/fullalbumimg]

Dinner was at an Italian place Called Lenny's Clam Bar and Restaurant. I would recommend this place to anyone. The servings are great in proportion, the taste is exceptional. I ordered mixed seafood linguine and it was more than I could have asked for. Instead of a mound of noodles with two shrimp and a mussel hidden like needles in a haystack, It was a healthy portion of correctly cooked noodles buried in 4 different types of seafood. If I thought it would have been so good I would have brought a camera to allow me to show you the meal. I could not eat it all.

Today was another adventure. I started with a trip on the subway with The Metropolitan Museum of Art as my destination. Again the weather was cooperating with my wishes. I was able to walk from the subway station to the Met through Central Park. I did stop in the park to eat a street vended sausage. I just could not pass up the experience.
[fullalbumimg]254[/fullalbumimg]

After spending the day in the Met (No, I was not able to see anywhere near all they had to offer) I walked back to the subway station down 5th Ave.

One more thing to note is that I was able to see the spot where the Twin Tower once stood. It was a humbling experience even after this much time has gone by.

In closing, I return tomorrow early in the Morn. I want to thank those who have called to see how things were going. My BBQ family, you are the best.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-08-2008 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Safe Travels Brian! Thanks for the pics!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-08-2008 10:02 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks Brian. Good job.
Having been to the B.A. (bad apple) on several occiasions I know what you are going through. I wasn't into culture much, so I saw the Mets and the them D*** Yankees play ball a few times while there.
As for the traffic, some think SLC is bad at rush hour, ain't squat compared to NYC, is it Brian?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
11-10-2008 10:44 AM
Brian Offline

Gene,

Downtown traffic after a Jazz game, temple square in Christmas lights and snowing still isnt as bas as everyday traffic in NYC. I think that if you took every car in Utah and rammed them all in Sandy then schedule a sports show at the convention center and a soccer game we might come close to simulating daily life on the roads of the Big Apple. I watched people walking make better time.

I am home safe now and I am reminded how blessed we are to live in the wide open stretches of the west.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-10-2008 12:19 PM
Three4Que Offline

Brian,
Good that you made it back safely. I still laugh at people around here that complain of 'rush hour' traffic in SLC. Having lived in several larger cities I know what traffic is really like. I also agree w/ you by saying "I love living out here too."

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
11-10-2008 12:25 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: $200.00 fine for honking a horn, $60.00 to park anywhere near Broadway, 15 million people coming and going........ Yup! I am more than happy to live where you can still stretch and look at some mountains. The scary thing is all those back east think we are nuts! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-10-2008 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Cyclops;p="12354 Wrote:...The scary thing is all those back east think we are nuts! :twisted:
Scary?! No, sane and glorious. They can keep just about everything east of the Mississippi. Smile

John
11-10-2008 11:02 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: Whatchutalkinbout? They can have everything east of Denver :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-10-2008 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Cyclops;p="12364 Wrote::twisted: Whatchutalkinbout? They can have everything east of Denver :twisted:
I grew up in Columbia Missouri, so I have to exclude the state. :-)

John
11-10-2008 11:37 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: OK Missouri it is! BUT NO FURTHER!! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-10-2008 11:40 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

There are a few hundred acres on the corner of Lombardi ave. and Onieda ave in Green Bay that I need access to if thats ok Big Grin Oh! and the folks house too

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-11-2008 09:38 AM
Unregistered

PackerBacker;p="12378 Wrote:There are a few hundred acres on the corner of Lombardi ave. and Onieda ave in Green Bay that I need access to if thats ok Big Grin Oh! and the folks house too
Why do you care about a big parking lot at Lombardi/Onieda? :shock: :wink:

John
11-11-2008 09:42 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I am planning a BBQ Competition there next year Smile

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-11-2008 09:50 AM
Three4Que Offline

Cyclops;p="12364 Wrote::twisted: Whatchutalkinbout? They can have everything east of Denver :twisted:

Okay, but I want all the Hickory trees I can get then!! Smile

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
11-12-2008 07:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big media day for noname gourmet! BBQUte 4 952 02-12-2009 09:31 PM
Last Post: no1plumber
  Big Anthony, are you OK? Flexo 9 1,843 08-11-2008 02:48 PM
Last Post: T
  Anyone ever cook a hog this big? norm 1 631 07-30-2008 06:32 PM