Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Equivalent Woods
Ratchet Offline

Equivalent Woods
I was in South Carolina 2 weeks ago, and talked to the pitmaster at a small restaurant that served up some pretty reasonable Q. He gets a pickup load of Hickory for $60, delivered! Wish I could find "local" woods that I could get on the cheap like that! :roll:

I was looking at the "approved" wood list and had a couple thoughts.

We all know oak is a popular wood. Any one thought of trying the scrub oak that can be found in abundance on the foothills?

The list mentions birch as being suitable for some meats. What about our quaking aspens? They are certainly part of the birch family.

Then I had a truly unique idea. Idea What about the sage brush from the desert? I've used the leaves as a sage substitute for doing a pitfire turkey, so I know they do have a distinct sagey flavor. I expect the wood would impart some of that sage flavor if burned.

Anyone else have other ideas for local to Utah wildwoods that could be gathered, with a proper permit of course? :roll:

Ratchet
BBQ Pit Master WannaBe :roll:
09-16-2008 07:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Equivalent Woods
Sage burns really fast. Aspen, IMHO, stinks when burning. The mountain mahogany, I have been told is not a bad smoking wood, though the stuff will dull a chain saw chain in nothing flat. It's hard, and might be a no-no on the Forest Services' list of do not cut.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
09-16-2008 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply