Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Eagle Rib & Spudfest With Pictures!
rdenn_58 Offline

Thanks to All!!!!!
Hi All,

We attended the event in Eagle too. We drove from Pocatello just for the cookoff. Didn't participate (not even close to your guys' levels), but did get a chance to talk to a couple of you. From a non-participant's perspective.....it was a great event. To all those who had anything to do with the Eagle Rib, thank you!!!! All of you deserve a pat on the back. Only one downside to it though......needs to be in a bigger area. For the numbers of people there, it did get a little crowded.

T, talking with you got me wanting to learn how to bbq on my own small grill at home. Thanks for the tips!!!! You told me I would "catch the bug". Wish we could have stuck around the next day to sample the ribs that didn't make it to the big show. We were just at your place in SLC last weekend and really enjoyed the food there. WOW!!!!! We talked to Becci for a few minutes before and after dinner. What great people you two are!!!

I did BBQ up some chicken quarters tonight. They turned out great. The wind here was howling, but I put the BBQ in the garage and had a great time watching NFL games and doing some Sunday cooking. Sorry PackerBacker about the loss to Atlanta. But as a Viking fan, I'm not that sorry. :lol:

Again, thanks to all of you "real" cooks out there for your time and tips!!! We look forward to attending the event again next year and talking with you again.
10-05-2008 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Welcome to the forum rdenn_58!

By next year you may be wanting to compete...after the chicken you can count yourself as a "real" cook, wind, wind and rain, wind and snow, may still need to be crossed of your BBQ cooking list, but they will come!

Enjoy! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-05-2008 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Eagle Rib & Spudfest With Pictures!
and chris, don't forget that every cook needs to cross "oh, my god! the air's not even moving, stifling, sticky, unbearable heat" off their list. in my opinion it's harder to cook in the heat than the cold... just for the record, fat guys don't do hot!!!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
10-06-2008 10:41 AM
hossrocks Offline

I'm with you Sampson! Gimme 75 degrees with a light breeze and this fat guy is perfect!

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
10-06-2008 10:49 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo rdenn_58, I remember our conversation well and enjoyed talking with you about BBQ. Sorry that I missed your visit to the restaurant, would have liked to have seen you again. Glad that you liked the food as well, we are fortunate to offer another option to restaurant BBQ. Keep the coals and wood burning bro. Don't hesitate to ask questions if needed, that's what we are here for. Good smoke on ya.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
10-06-2008 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rdenn_58 Offline

Hey All,

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!!!

T, I think I am catching that BBQ bug.....I would love to BBQ some ribs this weekend, but the fiancee wants to go see family in Wyoming. What is she thinking? Is there some medicince for this "bug". :lol: We are going to be flying out of SLC in a couple weeks and we hope to be able to get there early enough to stop by your place again for the "good stuff". Hope to see you there.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as I BBQ throughout the winter. I am sure it will be basic stuff to you pros, but us am's sure appreciate the help!!!!

Rich
10-10-2008 08:11 AM
GBQ Offline

What! Another Vikings Fan? Welcome to the fourm rdenn-58. I've been a Vikings Fan since I was a kid. I really enjoyed the Packs loss last week. I think it was there 3rd loss in a row,but I'm not sure.

Hey Packerfan(Dave) Was that Greenbays 3rd loss in a row?

Gary
OU812BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Vikings Fan
10-11-2008 10:24 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Damn GBQ you are good with the stats! So how many L's do your ViQweens have?? Why are you so surprised to hear from another ViQweens fan anyway? To let ya know, I spent about 3 hrs in the Minneapolis airport in the last week, and NEVER saw one person with the ViQween colors on Tongue But when I left Boise, there were 5 (Not including us) Packer Fans headed to WI to see the game :wink:

Go figure :lol:

Love ya Bro

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-11-2008 05:25 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: Rich, I am sure you are always welcome by our "buds" in SLC.
But, cook or trip? You may want to re-evaluate the fiancee :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
10-11-2008 08:50 PM
Three4Que Offline

Rich, go on the trip, you'll score points with your fiancee, Smile but let your her know that you're going to smoke when you get back. Then, invite her over if she isn't already there and let her enjoy the rewards of your hard work. Convert her over to BBQ and you'll find you have another passion to share with her. Plus, you'll gain a big support from her as you continue to practice Q and eventually get into competition.

Doug

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
10-12-2008 09:48 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Good advice there Doug!!, And Rich..... make sure you have at least 4-5 cookers BEFORE you get hitched :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-12-2008 09:57 AM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Of course you know Rich that by taking this route and spoiling her, you will be resigning yourself to "You used to fill in the blank for me"! By all means, treat her right but do not spoil her Smile :wink:
Have fun in Wyoming and heed Daves advice by stocking up on your cookers before the funeral I mean wedding.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-12-2008 06:34 PM
rdenn_58 Offline

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcoming!!!! It's great to know the members give free advice on BBQ. But now that I let the cat out of the bag about the fiancee, also getting "advice" about that too. :lol: She is a great woman. I have introduced her into BBQ (at least my amateur version of it) and she likes it. She wants to buy me the Weber bullet so I don't have to use the old kettle. She is a wonderful cook in the kitchen in her own right. I wish I had the time to do more BBQ and could get consistent at it. I don't know if I will ever get good enough to get into the big show with you guys though. Maybe after I retire in a few years I can practice more and get out there.

Well, Dave as you have found out that I am a Viking fan (more like a fanatic). I have a few friends that are Packer fans and we have a great time poking fun at each other especially when it's Viking-Packer week. Nothing like a good rivalry. GBQ, glad to hear there's another one of us out there. I got a shirt a few years ago and I wear it almost every week. It says......."My 2 favorite teams are the Vikings and whoever is playing the Packers". Dave may have it coming from both sides for the November 9th game. And in December, the fiancee and I are heading to AZ for the Viking game. Can't wait for that!!!!

To SlowJoe, Three4Que, and Cyclops........thanks for the advice!!! :shock: I have 8 months to rethink my "predicament". :lol:

I can wait to meet and talk to you at one of next year's events!!!! Don't worry, I won't ask for competition recipes. Smile I found out from a couple of you at the event in Boise how close to the vest that stuff is. Wouldn't be surprised to hear you have vaults at home to keep those in. :lol:

Now, for a question.....where do you get good quality meats (especially ribs)? I have tried the ones from Albertson's, Costco, and even the local butchers. Nothing seems to look or taste that great. I know some of it has to do with my BBQ inexperience, but if I start out with so-so stuff it won't be as good at the end. Garbage in = garbage out!!!

Thanks again all!!!! Great to have a place to ask questions and get answers by the folks who know.

Rich

PS Anyone know how to get summer back? I am cooking in the garage now and already miss being out on the patio in the warmth and sunshine.
10-13-2008 01:43 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Its all in fun my friend! :wink: ALL in fun. Right GBQ??
Try Sam's Club on the ribs, And most of us tend to stay away from the sodium inhanced ribs (Hormel)

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-13-2008 02:02 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

I use Costco for my ribs and sometimes chicken. Sams for brisket and butt. Both places sell Choice or better.
The amount of trash talk Dave hands out (Nickname is the Brat) feel free to give him a hard time about the Packers, celery salt, whatever Big Grin :wink:

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-13-2008 06:05 PM
Swine Steward Offline

At the Eagle comp we used ribs and pork butt from Costco, Foster Farms chicken from Fred Meyer, and brisket from the meat packing plant in Canyon County.
10-13-2008 11:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eagle Rib and Spudfest T 21 4,229 09-09-2009 05:08 PM
Last Post: Frankenswine
  Eagle Rib and Spudfest Roll Call? SlowJoes 54 10,636 09-05-2009 12:12 PM
Last Post: T
  Eagle BBQ Cook Off & SpudFest tsorensen86 23 4,749 08-12-2009 01:53 PM
Last Post: Cyclops