WSM's for $199 and free shipping
Jaybird Offline

WSM's for $199 and free shipping
Amazon.com

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
08-27-2008 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VisionQuest220 Offline

You in the market for a few more, Jaybird?

Rhythm 'n QUE
All WSMs . . . All The Time!
08-27-2008 01:26 PM
Jaybird Offline

Re: WSM's for $199 and free shipping
I should buy 2 more and store them at this price. That way I'll have some when my other two wear out. :wink:

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
08-27-2008 01:34 PM
gene01 Offline

Hey Jay, the new and improved will be out next march, 50% larger a built in thermometer and a huge door, 3 gallon water pan..... might want to wait, will probably be 300.00 from what I was told... there are a couple out being tested now....
08-27-2008 05:55 PM
gene01 Offline

Two 22" cooking grates - 50% larger than current WSM

Built-in lid thermometer with 1.5" stem...temp range of 100-350*F in 5*F increments

Extra lid handle on edge (it's a heavy lid)

Larger 4-1/4" vent dampers with 4 3/4" holes

Improved access door: taller, wider, with handle that indicates locked position, and a clever design that allows you to remove the door entirely or have it open downward but still attached--without hinges

Monster 3-gallon water pan with wider rim and redesigned grill straps to stablize the pan...this pan is not going anywhere once in the cooker

Sturdier 2" wide legs

Improved charcoal grate: the gaps at the edges have been closed to prevent charcoal from falling through

Really big charcoal chamber...have not yet measured capacity, but 9 lbs of charcoal looked very lonely in the bottom of the chamber

A heat shield mounted on the legs to protect surfaces beneath the cooker

A bit more headroom between the top grate and inside top of lid, and a bit more space between top and bottom grates
My first test cook was 6 slabs of loin back ribs on the top grate...4 in a rib rack and one slab on either side laid out flat on the grate. So 6 slabs cooked in flat orientation without having to roll the ribs. Without a rib rack, 3 slabs lay flat with room to spare on all sides, unlike the current WSM.

Temperature control seems to be as good as the current WSM.

My second test was 6 beer can chickens. I used big, 5 lb. chickens and they stood on the lower grate without touching the top grate, unlike in the current WSM.

My third test will be 45 lbs. of pork butt to see how a longer cook goes.

There will also be a new 18" WSM that includes many features from the 22" cooker, like the lid thermometer (slightly different design), access door, water pan, charcoal grate, and heat shield improvements.

What is not included that you may have wanted?
Handles on middle section

Probe thermometer eyelet

Handles on lower cooking grate

Connected charcoal chamber/grate
But hey, you still need stuff to be able to mod yourself, right?

I don't have any definitive information on price or when it will be available for purchase at retailers.

I have posted photos from my test cooks here: 2009 22" WSM Photos

And several videos on the TVWB channel on YouTube:

(If you have a good high-speed Internet connection, click High Quality.)

Part 1: Out of Box Experience
Standard Quality | High Quality

Part 2: Out of Box Experience

Part 3: Assembly

Part 4: Final Comments & Comparison to Current 18" WSM

To sum up in one word...Wow! Hard to believe that after 20+ years of no feature enhancement, Weber turned its attention to the WSM and made many of the improvements we've all been asking for, including larger capacity. For years, I never believed this day would come. So to all you dreamers out there, keep on dreaming...because sometimes dreams do, in fact, come true!
08-27-2008 06:00 PM
gene01 Offline

sorry for the large posts, just a great product coming up, here is the last post, a picture of the old and the new side by side

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.weberklubben.dk/Files/Billeder/Nyheder/wsm_1.jpg">http://www.weberklubben.dk/Files/Billed ... /wsm_1.jpg</a><!-- m -->
08-27-2008 06:04 PM