Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brinkmann Pitmaster
Fire and Spice Offline

Brinkmann Pitmaster
I am selling my Brinkman smoker. Got it from a guy in Texas, think I will try something else. Seemed to work fine. Here are the pics etc.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3886859&cat=&lpid=">http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... cat=&lpid=</a><!-- m -->

Sparky
07-29-2008 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ketch Offline

Re: Brinkmann Pitmaster
I bought this one! First Charcoal Pit ever! I'm pretty excited!

Thanks to Fire and Spice for giving a new guy to the charcoal world a good deal on the Pit. I look forward to learning the trade and trolling around the site!
08-05-2008 01:53 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Ketch, If you have any problems with that cooker, this is the place to ask, you WILL get some great advice on what to do with that cooker :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
08-05-2008 02:52 PM
Flexo Offline

Ketch,
This Friday and Saturday there is a competition in Kearns at the Olympic Speed Skating Oval. It is a good time to come out and talk to teams, bend some ears and see what new things you can learn. Hope to see ya there!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
08-05-2008 02:55 PM
Ketch Offline

Hey thanks a bunch guys! Yeah, Quinn aka Fire and Spice told me about the site and the event this weekend. I'm gonna try and make it out there with my 'ol man!

I got to try out the cooker last night!!! Just did some quick Chicken thighs and legs with my trusty Jack Miller's sauce and sliced up some Mango for a side... Turned out great but I definitely have some learning to do on how to do it right! Any advice on tips or things to watch out for on the Pitmaster would be greatly appreciated!
08-06-2008 11:22 AM
norm Offline

Welcome aboard,
As far as modifications go, there are some simple design features that you want in any barbecue/smoker, that can usually be put into it if it doesn't already have them. One is to relocate the thermometer. If your thermometer is located near the top of the lid, or cooking chamber, you may want to plug that hole and move the thermometer closer to the grill surface. This will give you a more accurate indication of the temperature where the meat is actually being cooked. You may also want to have it more near the center, instead of one end. Many manufacturers place it on the end farthest from the firebox. Putting it in the center gives you a better average reading. Or get another thermometer to place closer to what your cooking. Just make sure you measure how far the probe protrudes into the cooking chamber so that you don't have it hitting the grill surface, or the meat. Also, most "stock" equipment doesn't seal that well (around the door especially). The only place that air should be able to get in is the designated inlet that should be on the side of the fire box. The only place that air/smoke should be able to get out is the chimney. If you have leaks, it makes it difficult to keep an even temperature. Try going to a hardware store, or appliance repair shop and purchasing the same seals that are used on oven doors. You can apply that to the inside edge of the lids of the unit to help seal it. You can do this with rivets, or with high temperature adhesive (most appliance shops will sell the adhesive too). Another modification is to cut a piece of steel that is rolled to the same shape as the inside of your unit and place it in the bottom. That way, ash and grease are sitting on that, instead of the bottom of your barbecue. Ash, when damp, is very caustic, and will eat through the steel of your unit. If you have a square firebox, just cut a piece to fit the bottom. It's much easier to replace a piece of corroded sheet metal than the bottom of your barbecue. Also, if your chimney has an adjustable cover, or baffle, leave that sucker open. Trapping the smoke inside the cooking chamber is not a good idea. Allowing the air to move through the unit is how you regulate the temperature.Some people extend the chimney into the cooking chamber closer to the grill level with flexible aluminum dryer vent to help stabilize temps and convection. And finally you can create a more "set it and forget it" firebox/charcoal basket that is elevated off the floor allowing better airflow to the fire and preventing it from getting smothered by ash buildup. I hope you find this helpful. Any questions let us know.
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
08-06-2008 02:02 PM
Ketch Offline

Hey thanks Norm!

I know this is the wrong section for "How-to" questions but I was looking into installing a new temp guage. Do you think that plugging the existing hole with some JB Weld would do the job? This cooker is in great shape I'm just wanting to clean it up a bit, I've repainted it and installed a new "shelf" on the front after bustin' up a bottle of sauce on the driveway (definitely a noob move there eh?). I'll post up some before/after pics sometime.

I was wondering about the smoke/air seeping out around the doors so thanks for addressing that for me, I'll let you know how the fix goes! I was able to get it up to a pretty steady 250 degrees.

Thanks again for the help, I'm hoping to get out this weekend and come watch you guys in action!

"Build a fire for a guy, warm him for a night. Set a guy on fire, warm him for life"
08-07-2008 01:56 PM
norm Offline

JB weld should work great. On the temps, the reason people do the modifications is that they can use more of the grill surface at an even temp. But you can use the hot and cold sides to your advantage. If you have the resources a few oven thermometers across the grill will tell you how even you are.
Sorry to here about your loss, I know you're not supposed to cry over spilt milk, but a great sauce.... :cry:
Keep on quen'
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
08-07-2008 02:01 PM