Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thailand bbq sauce for marinating Pork / Chicken
bbqchef Offline

Thailand bbq sauce for marinating Pork / Chicken
I thought I would share a ingredient used in most Thai cuisine. Nam Pla ( fish sauce) can be purchased at most of your local asian markets. I use fish sauce as part of my marinate for chicken and ribs. Use enough fish sauce to coat your meat then continue with your favorite dry rub seasoning. The unique taste that it gives you is anything but fishy. Do not use alot of salt when using Nam Pla. The sauce almost acts as a brine in which your meat will turn out very moist. I use apple wood when using this technique and the results are outstanding.
05-21-2008 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Re: Thailand bbq sauce for marinating Pork / Chicken
You might be on to something there chef. Check this out from umamiinfo.com .

Fermented foods in Ancient Rome
Throughout the Ancient Roman Empire, fermented fish sauces called garem and liquamen were used as seasonings. These ingredients were equally as important as wine and olive oil. They were produced in the same way as the fermented condiments of South East Asia, with fish such as sardines and mackerel being salted and fermented. In particular, the amber-coloured garem extracted first from the fermentation process was most highly prized.
The famous ‘Apecius Cookbook’ of Ancient Rome contains many recipes where, in times when there was no sugar or salt, garem was frequently used. One could say that garem was prized as a condiment which combined umami and saltiness. The use of garem died out along with the Roman Empire, however anchovy paste and sauce can be seen as its modern counterpart.

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
05-22-2008 01:53 PM
bbqchef Offline

Norm thanks I found that to be very interesting.
05-22-2008 04:16 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

As can Worcestershire sauce!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-22-2008 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to make a BBQ sauce CRJensen77 4 1,523 08-17-2010 05:56 AM
Last Post: afrazier5