Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Head's Up to Those Going to the Best Dam Comp
Unregistered

Head's Up to Those Going to the Best Dam Comp
Just a quick "head's up"... I spoke with Chris, the organizer of the Best Dam event, today... In case this applies to you, you definitely don't want to show up down there with your meat already trimmed and wrapped in saran wrap, foil, etc... They are most definitely wanting you to show up with some sort of marking from the USDA on the packaging - and for all meat to be trimmed there on-site...

As is allowed by KCBS rules, I generally trim my meat at home, wrap, place on ice, and bring it to the comp ready to be rubbed, etc (you CAN'T rub or marinate before meat inspection at any KCBS sanctioned event)... Others may be doing the same... But you definitely don't want to do that at this comp, as it is my understanding after speaking with Chris today they (the meat inspectors) will send you shopping... :shock:
05-19-2008 10:46 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Jaybird Offline

Re: Head's Up to Those Going to the Best Dam Comp
Thanks for heads up Mike. Well, if that's the case, Chris might just get an earfull from a lot of teams. As far as I know he has not relayed this info to any teams as of yet. They haven't even changed their website in four years. Just check out my team bio...that's from 2004. They do not communicate well.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
05-20-2008 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Chris A. ???

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-20-2008 09:58 AM
Jaybird Offline

PackerBacker;p="9424 Wrote:Chris A. ???

????

05-20-2008 10:02 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Allingham

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-20-2008 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Well, Jay, I just happened to run across this under the "Registration Applications" link on the website... There, you will find a "Information" document... Here is what it says (and what prompted me to make the phone call):

MEAT INSPECTION AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT REGULATIONS
· All meats cooked at the Challenge MUST be USDA-approved meat or have been purchased from a USDA-inspected source. Cookers must be able to show proof of this.
· Starting at 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Friday, a contest official will inspect your meat for contest judging to certify that the meat begins raw and complies with any other Health Dept. regulations. Sign up for meat inspection when you register. For late arrivals, inspections will be done on request on Saturday morning from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. Please call to request a Saturday inspection or an inspection after 6:00 p.m. on Friday.
· In our miscellaneous category, any game (or exotic) meat must come from inspected sources.

I asked it the label off of the original packaging or box would be "proof", and was told "no"... That they were wanting all trimming to take place... Mind you, they were really nice about it... But that was what I was told/understood from my conversation with them yesterday... (It was a "Chris Carroll" - a woman)... I don't know if this is a Health Dept thing there this year or what...
05-20-2008 10:35 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, Chris called me just a minute ago regarding another issue, so I brought this up. She said as long as you are in compliance with the KSBS rules, and that you have receipts or proof of purchase it is OK the trim your meats before. The issue is with food vendors, they had a problem earlier this year with some vendors. I spoke with her at 10:40 and she started with "let me clarify a few things" because she had recieved a phone call from someone in question earlier.
Wish we could find out the real deal, again sounds like it pertains to the vendors. The health department from my understanding has nothing to do withe the cooks unless you are vending?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
05-20-2008 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaybird Offline

That call came from Tim from Arizona:

I just got off the phoen with Chris Carroll and she told me that the health dept. is really cracking down in NV after that whole needle/hepatitis thing a few months back,Chris said the whole pre-trimmed thing is mostly directed at Vendors,not competitors.Chris said she did not think there would be a problem pre-trimming meat for the comp,as long as you have the receipts to show where and when it was purchased.HOWEVER,she also said that there is a new health dept. rep that will be there and will be following the codes pretty much to a T and that things will be tight, so she CANNOT guarentee that if you have trimmed meat ,for the competition,that the health dept. will accept it.She doesn't think that there will be a problem,but things are kind of upside down there right now, and there seems to be some confusion as to what the health dept. will allow for sure.One thing she did say is that they will be checking to make sure meat is on ice and at correct temps(duh,no kidding,as usual)and that there is NO cross contamination of meats.I asked her more about the cross conatmination thing and she said that the chicken,beef, and pork must all be kept seperate from one another,especially if it is pre-trimmed,she said that if it is all together,in the same cooler, and pre-trimmed,the health dpt. may not allow it.So take it for what it's worth,Chris said they are having a pretty hard time with the health dept.this year ,but trying to work with them.Should be interesting

05-20-2008 11:03 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I know that most all of us know the rules for the safe handling of meats, and the temp ranges we need to be in, weather it be cold, re-heating, or hot holding temps. Now here comes the RANT :x I will brush off the USDA label and receipt thing, Fine!, But why do they care about where it is trimmed, I will say this, this competition is being held in the desert!!!! I guarantee my kitchen has never had a dust storm roll through while I was ever prepping meat or making dinner for the family. ( take breath) And did I just read you can not have all your meat in the same cooler even if they are in indevigual zip locks or separately vacuum sealed???

End of Rant :wink: Thank you very much!!!

Jay check your PM

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
05-20-2008 12:28 PM
Unregistered

So Jay, are they saying if you show up with meat in the original wrapper from the grocery store, can you still have all the meat in the same ice chest?

What about after it is trimmed - if it is in ziplock plastic bags, will one cooler be fine? Or are we going to have to have 4 separate ice chests - one for each meat?

All I know is that my kitchen is more likely to be a whole lot cleaner place to trim a lot of meat versus doing it out on the street under an open air canopy... An RV would sure work I suppose, but that ain't going to happen for me right now...
05-20-2008 01:04 PM
Jaybird Offline

#1....They haven't said anything to me. The only people that know first hand are the ones who called THEM. So if you are someone that doesn't frequent the forums and you show up with trimmed meat in large ziplocks in the same ice chest and they tell you to dump it and go buy new......They would have a big fight on their hands if it were me....and I would prevail because of the lack of communication on this matter on their part. How were we suppose to know? OK rant done.

I usually only trim my ribs before a contest. I place them in large ziplocks and place them in an ice chest along with chicken in it's original package also placed in a seperate large ziplock. I also place my brisket and pork, untrimmed and in the original package, in the same ice chest. I have never had anyone, anywhere give me grief over this practice. Pretty soon they won't let you cook different meats in the same cooker. Thats where your cross contamination will happen moreso than the ice chest.

Point is....they haven't told me I can't do this...yet

05-20-2008 01:24 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo guys, while we are at it, my reason for speaking with the concerned was to find out after paying the entry fee to enter the desert and anything but category no where could I find information on the desert turn in time? Yours right Jay the sight in areas has not been updated in a while. Turn in times as I was told are on Friday at 7:00 anything but 7:30 for desert.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
05-20-2008 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply