Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HYRUM 2008 CONTEST RESULTS
Pegleg Offline

HYRUM 2008 CONTEST RESULTS
Thank you to everyone who competed at Smoke on the Water, Hyrum 2008 BBQ Event. Also, big THANKS goes out to everyone who worked to help pull this off; this is what the UBBQA is all about.

Congratulations to Hoochie-Que and OU812BBQ (Gary -- GBQ's first comp) for taking Grand and Reserve Grand. Incidently, there were several other teams that competed in which this was their first event and did very well.

The contest results are listed below.

Overall Results

Grand Champion: Hoochie-Que
Reserve Grand: OU812BBQ
3rd: Dragon Smoke
4th: Utah Smoke
5th: PackerBacker BBQ
6th: This Little Piggy
7th: Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
8th: Hi-I-Que
9th: Skinny Boys BBQ
10th: Sexy Mexican BBQ
11th: Smokin’ Burtons
12th: Bulls BBQ
13th: Crazy Cajun Cooker
14th: Get Q’d
15th: Tubby’s Smokin’ Q
16th: TumbleWeed BBQ

Individual Meat Categories

Chicken

1st: Hoochie-Que
2nd: Smokin’ Burtons
3rd: Skinny Boys BBQ
4th: Utah Smoke
5th: Dragon Smoke BBQ
6th: Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
7th: Hi-I-Que
8th: OU812BBQ
9th: This Little Piggy
10th: Crazy Cajun Cooker
11th: Sexy Mexican BBQ
12th: Bulls BBQ
13th: Tubby’s Smokin’ Q
14th: Get Q’d
15th: PackerBacker BBQ
16th: TumbleWeed BBQ (This team did not enter this category)

Ribs

1st: OU812BBQ
2nd: PackerBacker BBQ
3rd: This Little Piggy
4th: Bulls BBQ
5th: Utah Smoke
6th: Hoochie-Que
7th: Dragon Smoke
8th: Sexy Mexican BBQ
9th: Smokin’g Burtons
10th: Tubby’s Smokin’ Q
11th: Skinny Boy’s BBQ
12th: Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
13th: Get Q’d
14th: Crazy Cajun Cooker
15th: Hi-I-Que
16th: TumbleWeed BBQ

Pork

1st: Hoochie-Que
2nd: Dragon Smoke
3rd: Hi-I-Que
4th: PackerBacker BBQ
5th: Crazy Cajun Cooker
6th: OU812BBQ
7th: Get Q’d
8th: Utah Smoke
9th: Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
10th: Smokin’g Burtons
11th: This Little Piggy
12th: Skinny Boys BBQ
13th: TumbleWeed BBQ
14th: Bulls BBQ
15th: Sexy Mexican BBQ
16th: Tubby’s Smokin’ Q

Brisket

1st: Sexy Mexican BBQ
2nd: Smokin’ Hot Sistahs
3rd: OU812BBQ
4th: Dragon Smoke BBQ
5th: Hi-I-Que
6th: Get Q’d
7th: Hoochie-Que
8th: Skinny Boys BBQ
9th: This Little Piggy
10th: PackerBacker BBQ
11th: Bulls BBQ
12th: Utah Smoke
13th: Tubby’s Smokin’ Q
14th: TumbleWeed BBQ
15th: Crazy Cajun Cooker
16th: Smokin’g Burtons
05-17-2008 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Congratulations one and all!

I'm sure sorry I missed it, had my ass kicked by a flu or cold bug all week.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
05-17-2008 11:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: HYRUM 2008 CONTEST RESULTS
Wow! Dr. Mike, you are on a big time roll, my brother. I'm glad to see you at the top of the heap. I'm starting to seriously worry about this season. :wink:

Gary, what can I say? An RGC is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations to you guys and everyone who competed. I would have loved to have been there.

Take care,
John
05-18-2008 07:26 AM
Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Congratulations to all of the winners and for that matter to everyone that even participated. Just entering and finishing all of these catagories is an accomplishment in and of itself. GOOD JOB!
Thanks to Gene for his efforts in getting this thing off the ground. Not bad for such a worn, old fart :lol:
And most of all thanks to all of the folks that have helped me get out there for my first solo competition. Lots of you have given me great advice and direction. Gene, thanks for letting me hang with you last year and get comfortable with just being there. But most of all a huge thanks to the fellow that seems to be the "go to guy" for so many of us, I wouldn't even be able to even think about cooking with the likes of all of you without the help of our man T. Way to go my friend!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
05-18-2008 08:18 AM
norm Offline

I really regret not being there. I let work get in the way of play this time. I did lose alot of bettin' money in Vegas on this comp. Gary, a rookie RGC? :o Galo, a mexican brisket champion on a spankin' new pellet pooper? Sistah's showin' up strong. Congrats to everyone. Big Grin
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
05-18-2008 11:32 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

What a great weekend! I finally got to meet several folks that I have known for awhile in this site but had yet met face to face. Dave (Packer Backer) his set up lives up to the team name. It was fun to hear his stories when he competed at the Jack.

Hoochie- congrats! That is awesome! He was late getting up to Hyrum (work got in the way). He was setting everything up in the dark. Most of us had started our meat when he was driving to the comp. Even with the late start, he still pulls off GC.

I also want to send another thanks to Gene. He has stressed and worked on this comp for months. Thanks for putting this on for us Gene!

Lyle- thanks to you and your family. He came up on his anniversary weekend with his wife and kids to run this thing. Thank you!!!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
05-18-2008 10:47 PM
Brian Offline

I want to throw out another thank you specifically to the teams (parents) who offered their children to help put up the judges tent and to Michelle (sp) of Smokin' Hot Sistahs and her gang for leading the effort to take it back down. For the judges and support people who read this, thank you as well. For those who participated and don't read this site, if you know them please offer our thanks to them as well. On a different angle, I want to show my appreciation to Jim (Cyclops) for driving down to help. It is always good to talk with you when I can.

The Saturday night wind down party was great fun, Thanks, T and Becci for hosting (Becci is a wonder in the kitchen). All in all, I can't wait until we can do this event again next year.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
05-19-2008 07:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rjr23 Offline

Congrats to all the winners from 2 Pigs.

8) Richard 8)
05-19-2008 07:40 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

You guys were missed. Sad , along with a couple of others. Next time perhaps.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
05-19-2008 08:15 AM
BBQUte Offline

Dr Mike YOU ROCK!!!! Congrats on your great finish. We missed being with all of you. It's awesome how BBQ is growing in Utah. Look forward to seeing you all later this year.
05-19-2008 08:59 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

What a great weekend! Thank you everyone for all your help getting me through my first time.
Thanks Dave for all the cooking info and keeping me company while I was up all night putting sticks in the cooker. I learned so much from all of you. I also learned what "not to do". You guys are all such good cooks! Man, I've never tasted such good food!
Thank you all, Hope to see you soon,
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
05-19-2008 11:20 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

This past weekend was well worth the trip for the three of us, The key word for the entire weekend was "Relax" as we kicked back with some old and new friends, from Thurs. to about Fri.at 3pm when the games began :wink: Congrats to ALL that took a walk! Gary ( 0U812) way to go! And yes your ribs were good! :roll: Hoochie, Nice job on your GC, Galo! you nailed your brisket!

Thanks to all the people that were involved in putting this event on, there were many!

Good luck to all the teams next weekend at "Best Dam" And we will see ya all at Snowbird!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
05-19-2008 11:26 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks to all for coming to this 2nd Hyrum event. The Park folks would like this to happen again next year. More space is available across the road in another section of the park. Non lake view, however. It was mentioned to me that's where they'd like it next year.
As I have alluded to previous, I don't seem to have a knack for organizing deals like this. I can do stuff, but I seem to lack the finishing skills. I apologize for that. I'd love to help out, so, next year, now that we have some more Cache Valley folks on board, (many hands make light work) it's just I won't be at the helm.
Some thoughts have floated around that the Association have both food and drink next year for the public. We got the word out as well as we could afford with our advertising budget $0.00.
Many thanks to Lynn Simmons for the air time he and the C.V radio group gave us. He said he ate well.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
05-19-2008 01:08 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, first of all let me say how proud I am of what happened this past week end. Congratulations to Mike, and his family on the GC. Gary, GBQ and I spoke earlier in the day as to me telling him you never know what the judges are going to give the nod too. I was referring to the remark that he maid to me about not knowing if he ever wanted to do this again. Early Saturday morning before the award is when he came to me just worn out. Yo bro, has winning the RG in your first competition changed your mind? Real proud of you and Sampson, and the look on Emily's face was priceless. Thanks to all that put forth the effort and hard work to make it all happen. Great relaxing venue, good company, and lets do it again. Gene thank you. Thanks to Jim Monihan for coming from Boise along with Dave and that was a class act that you did Dave with your winnings, love ya bro! Thanks to Brian of Dragon Smoke for the donation of the 10x20 tent to the organizaton to be used as needed, and L. J. for always being there for us with his sound system, as I said to Dr. Mike it's good to see the family again Now it's on to the Best Dam BBQ competition in Boulder City. I would like to wish all of our Utah cooks good luck down there, and I'm sure that we will represent not only Utah, but BBQ itself. See ya there. "BDS in the house baby"

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
05-19-2008 02:09 PM
GBQ Offline

I would like to say thank you to all involved in getting the Hyrum cook going.That is one nice venue.I also want to take this oppertunity to give huge prop's to T for mentoring me the last couple of years.I have learned so much by getting to hang out watching & listening.That cat there T! Love ya man! I was pretty wore out early Sat.Morning & yes I did say It's all fun & games until someone has to stay up all night.Was not sure if this was the gig for me.As you can imagine after getting acouple of calls my tune has changed.The comp.Bug has bitten hard.Can't wait until the next chance to do it again.Thanks to Dave & Dana (packerbacker) for helping me.Dana gave me some pointers on preparing my box's & last year at Hyrum Dave let me hang out at his booth & watch.I learned alot from that.Thanks Dave.John (Patiodaddio) Used your comp.check list.It made getting everything together easy.Although I forgot all my rubs.Last I want to thank my new team members,Nathan & Melissa.My son & daughter.Would not have been able to do it without them.Congrats.To all that got calls,& like myself all the first time cooks.What a good time that was!!

Gary
OU812BBQ
Certified Judge
05-19-2008 06:20 PM
Crazy Cajun Offline

Congrats to all,

My Family and I had a great "spring getaway" and the venue could not have been better for a kickoff!

Gary, You have been bitt'en by the bug and you are on a roll! I had a great time meeting your kids and dad along with some other family members.

T, MR Jim, Gene and Sampson, as always it was great to see and share with you and yours.

Shane and Kerri, you and your crew were great! Sorry to see you guys leave a little early. Will catch up next time!

To the Sista's - my wife had a blast talking to you guys and the kids were great - Carla- you still owe me for that Oregeno!!!

My wife and I were so impressed with the way the kids played, watched over and just looked out for each other the entire weekend. Older Kids with younger Kids. younger kids with older kids - it did not seem to matter. We were thee as a group and I think the concept of the Utah Assoc. as a group is rubbing off on the kids!!

Mike and V. - My tooth still hurts and I have that Midnight Special ready to be mailed. Mike send a PM when you get a sec.
Keller still can't stop talking about Reed and his new best buddy! Connor is in love with Callie. Lord help us. Congrats and hope to talk soon. See you on the Labor Day weekend.

To all that were there, it was just plain fun. We are glad to be a part of a super group of folks, in and up and coming organization! Thanks again and we hope to see you all in Idaho at the end of the summer!

The Landry Faimly

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
05-19-2008 07:09 PM
Unregistered

What a great comp Hyrum was !! It was certainly fun last year - but it was even better this year... The sites were just perfect for a BBQ event IMHO, with ample space, everything most convenient, and beautiful views...

My many, many thanks to Gene and Infamous Dave and Samson - and others I may not be aware of - for all the hard work they put into making this event happen again ths year... Very few folks in our Association have any earthly idea as to just how much goes on behind the scenes for one of these events to come together.. The petty "problems"/complaints we cooks sometimes bring to the table... The last minute changes that always see to happen and pull at our resourcefulness yet one more time, when we are already bone-tired... Having to deal with other "authorities" / people in charge of where the event is held, etc... And then to try to also cook while balancing all these plates??? Again, my hat is tipped to all of you who helped make this happen...

My thanks as well to the UBBQA and it's Board for jumping in to make cetain the event had credibility and respectability... You all did a great job... And Jim Monihan, it was really great to have you make the trip down as well... You always seem to have the right word of humor and/or support at the right time...

I may have grabbed a brass ring at this comp - but the real reward/award for me took place a long way away from the the awards ceremony... It took place as I sat and watched my kids play with Packerbacker's daughter, Morgan - or with the Crazy Cajun's kids... It took place as I saw new faces mingle about - and as I saw old friends for the first time in months... It took place as steps were taken to "mend a few fences"... It took place as I tried out my new smoker (and enjoyed the heck out of it!!) It took place as I watched my wife "unwind a little" after a rather stressful week at work, dancing with the kids in the moonlight... It took place as I watched Gary/GBQ/OU812 (or whatever his name is now!! LOL!!) literally transform from "Man, this was ever way hard... I don't know if I ever want to do this again" to "Wow... Maybe this was worth all the hard work and lack of sleep after all!!"... It took place as I marvelled at the beauty of the surroundings there at Hyrum... It is so easy for those of us lucky enough to live here each and every day to "overlook" the beauty of Utah... Trust me (coming from flat, ugly West Texas), we should all jump up each morning thrilled that we get to see and live with this kind of scenery at our finder-tips... It took place as I sadly/fondly watched Joe turn over the reigns of this organization that has been so very dear to him over the past 3 years now...

I truly appreciate the "congratulations".. I simply tried my best, and had a few "blessings" along the way this past weekend... And while there is certainly some personal gratification in taking home a little hardware, the bigger "award" is in the memories now in my heart and mind... If you think about it, there were actually quite a few "Grand Champions" who left Hyrum State Park Saturday evening and/or Sunday morning... 8)
05-19-2008 10:36 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Well said!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
05-19-2008 11:13 PM
Swine Steward Offline

Is there a chance of seeing the score sheet posted?
05-19-2008 11:45 PM
Sexy Mexican Offline

I couldn't agree more with all of the posts. Thanks to everyone that put on, and participated in this event. Thanks also to everyone that stopped by and shared a tip with this noob. And a special thanks goes out to all those that helped set up the kids comp. My kids can't stop talking about how much fun they had!

Also, on a personal note, thank you to Vic and everyone that helped with our son who had his run-in with the tree on Friday night. When you think about it, he'll be talking about the 2008 Smoke Upon the Water for the rest of his life, whenever anyone asks him "how'd you get that scar on your forehead?" He received a pretty nasty gash and 8 stitches, but he's doing fine. The tree, I'm told, is also recovering :lol:

Galo

"Yo Quiero BBQ!"
05-19-2008 11:46 PM
Pegleg Offline

Swine Steward;p="9414 Wrote:Is there a chance of seeing the score sheet posted?

The score sheet as to how everyone placed overall and in each category is on page one of this thread. As far the individual judges scores that the teams get -- I'm working on it. My wife gave up our anniversary weekend and helped run the comp so we went out of town Sunday instead. I appreciate the teams paitence, I am in the process of putting all the scores together and will have them PM'd to the teams soon. Anyone who wants them to a different e-mail address, please either call my cell at 718-0063 or sent me a PM.

Thanks,

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
05-20-2008 05:59 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Lyle, you and your whole danged family are simply the best. Thanks.

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
05-20-2008 07:41 AM
Jaybird Offline

Congrats to Mike for your GC. Way to go.

By the way...I didn't see your name for Boulder City. We need one more team to make it a qualifier and your on a roll!!!

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
05-20-2008 09:44 AM
Unregistered

Thanks, Jay... My name may not be on the list, but I paid a couple of weeks ago, and have the confirmation email... At least I think this is the comp (Best Dam BBQ) I signed up for... :shock:
05-20-2008 10:53 AM
Jaybird Offline

That's the one. Your name is not on the list we were given. Cool, well that makes 25. Look forward to seein ya there Mike...be safe.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
05-20-2008 10:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sysco contest results. SoEzzy 3 770 05-27-2010 07:01 PM
Last Post: T
  2008 Snowbird BBQ Contest Info Packages Arlie Bragg 1 887 05-16-2008 11:24 AM
Last Post: Arlie Bragg
  Schedule for Hyrum 2008 BBQUte 5 1,203 05-14-2008 04:10 PM
Last Post: Pegleg