Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Review of Charlie Boy's Pit BBQ in Lehi
BBQMama Offline

Review of Charlie Boy's Pit BBQ in Lehi
One of my favorite little burger and ice cream joints in downtown Lehi has been converted to a BBQ place which just opened this weekend. Thought I'd give it a try, although I was pretty sure the smoker they have parked out front hadn't cooked much in the way of meat.

The menu is pretty short. Pulled beef, pork and chicken sandwiches, beans, Lays potato chips, and coleslaw ... oh, and Charlies "secret" sauce.

Had the beef and chicken sandwiches ($4.50 each for just the sandwich). Opened up the takeout containers and couldn't tell which was which. Meat was mushy, didn't have any smoke flavor or flavor whatsoever, looked like it had been boiled.

The sauce was an attempt at a Carolina sauce, but fell short. The beans were obviously canned with a few chopped onions thrown in. Probably the best thing about the place was the smell of smoke coming from the smoker out front. I asked the owner what he was cooking ... answer ... nothing, it's just smoking. Which probably sums up the food there ... nothing but smoke.

Sad thing is, that all those people standing in line probably thought they were eating good Q. Guess we need to open up that corner stand out here and help correct the misunderstanding.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
05-04-2008 06:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
allanon Offline

This is sad...I've been anxiously awaiting this places' opening as its right around the corner from me. Good to have some respectable idea of what a place is like before you go there.

Speaking of reviews, has any one been to 'Lon's Cookin' Shack' in Provo? I went there last week, but I want to see if the reviews are already in before I post mine.

--------------------------------------

When they're smokin' they're cookin' when they're black they're done!
05-05-2008 10:40 AM
Skittlebop Offline

I went to Charlie Boy's for the first time last night.
My husband went to the window, and was promptly told ( before he could even speak) " We are out of pork" Well, thanks. That is the only reason we were going, Well that, and we had a buy one get one free coupon.

We ended up with the Beef Combos.
I LOVED the sauce. Very tangy and good. However, it doesn't make up for the driest meat I have ever tasted. It was horrid. I could make meat more moist than that in my crock pot. It definately, it was actually hard in some places it was so dry. DRY DRY! Also, it had NO smoke flavor at all.

Then, my husband stood there and watched them dish up the potato salad from a box.
The beans were good, but i'm sure they are from a can as well. The coleslaw, well it tastes like celery.

He then asked for the Ice cream, to which a rude little worker replied " can't, we dont have any."
he then said they only make it on the weekends in the summer. Maybe you should put that on your website then!

I give this place a D-. When It comes to BBQ, no one wants to have to chew their meat for an hour before swollowing.

I am willing to try the pork before I throw it off all together, but I will NOT be eating there regularly.
02-11-2009 03:58 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Review of Charlie Boy's Pit BBQ in Lehi
Unfortunately, this is an all to common story with new start-ups. Its beyond me why anyone would invest time and money into opening a new food venue, with no intentions of producing a product they claim to specialize in. Surely they've eaten BBQ other than what's in the freezer at Sam's.
02-11-2009 05:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

Glad I don't live down there or I would have been tempted to try it. I like T's place for the SLC area and Holy Smoke for the Layton area.

Welcome to the site Skittlebop. Hope you become a regular on here, as you learn how to do your own Que! Do you have a smoker/grill?

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
02-12-2009 07:11 AM
paulw Offline

I've been to Charlie Boy's Pit BBQ in Springville, and Lon's in Provo (Lon's is just opening a BBQ shack in Springville too). I like Charlie Boy's. It isn't competition quality meat, but no one sells that. Every pulled pork sandwich I've had in Utah, including in Salt Lake's finest, has been mushy. I suppose that has something to do with keeping commercial quantities of meat heated. Every pulled pork sandwich I've had in Utah except at Charlie Boy's has come with red goop. At least Charlie Boy's tries. I think they've dialed down the bite of the dip a bit, but it's still good to get a real pulled pork sauce, and cole slaw, on your sandwich. Might be a bit expensive for the quantity, though.

Paul Wake
The Little Kettle That Could!
02-12-2009 08:20 AM
Skittlebop Offline

Thanks! I actually only have a grill. Well, my husband does, but we are huge BBQ fans.
You guys tried Pats in SLC yet?
02-12-2009 11:17 AM
Three4Que Offline

Not yet, but I hear their burnt ends are very good. I had just filled up at T's place (Q4U) in Kearns when I heard about Pat's.

02-12-2009 01:39 PM
Skittlebop Offline

Is Q4U still open?
02-12-2009 01:52 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Skittlebop;p="13931 Wrote:Is Q4U still open?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com/">http://www.q4u.com/</a><!-- m -->

They've moved to 5400 south and just west of Bangerter H'way 3941 by the state liquor store.

A great place to lunch, dine or just pop in for a cup of coffee and a chat. :lol:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-12-2009 02:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Best Q sandwich in the area is at Q4U, it's called the Darn Snacky Rib Sandwich ( I think ), it's all rib meat on a bun with sauce on the side. Nothing dry or flavorless going here! One of those and some catfish chips and a long afternoon to nap...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-12-2009 02:53 PM
Skittlebop Offline

We ate there about 5 years ago, and found the meat to be pretty fatty, so we havn't been back, but I'm trying to get the hubby to reconsider.
02-12-2009 04:38 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Fat's flavor. Bet some carnivorous critter'd like me, and some other folks that hang around here. Big Grin

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
02-12-2009 07:53 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Give Q4U another try, they didn't get all these awards from serving bad BBQ!

[img=left]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/utahsmoke/P1030080.jpg[/img]

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
02-12-2009 10:22 PM
Skittlebop Offline

Probably true! I think we are going to get out there this week.
02-13-2009 10:09 AM
Three4Que Offline

You'll like it a lot Skittlebop. Just ask for T or Becci and they'll help you out. Great place!!! Dang it, now I'm hungry. :shock:

02-13-2009 02:05 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Sampson, (and others) their Catfish Sammich rates up there with the Darn Snacky too! 8) Oh the Cajun Fries, and the....... oh, what the h*** the whole menu is loaded with yummy stuff. Big Grin
Why is it 900 miles from Logan to Q4U (or Tooele, what's out there anyway?) :? but only 100 or so back?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
02-13-2009 03:43 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Skittlebop, sorry that you thought that are meat was too fatty, but we serve the whole spare rib here as opposed to other places that give you a St Louis cut spare. This might be where the confusion is.
If you want a leaner cut of ribs go with our baby back. Appreciate the input any way. That's one of the things that I enjoy about being an educated owner on our menu, helping people understand in some cases about varieties of BBQ meats. The only other fatty meat that we could serve is our pulled pork, and the fat is totally removed when it's comes from the smoker. Thanks thanks again for supporting the Utah BBQ Restaurants.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
02-13-2009 04:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Book Review: America's Best BBQ Guest 4 850 04-29-2009 10:33 AM
Last Post: Frankenswine