Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hyrum Kids Cook-off - I need to know who is in...
Infamous Dave Offline

Hyrum Kids Cook-off - I need to know who is in...
Ok we are a few weeks away from the Hyrum comp and we want to incorporate a kids cook off at that comp as well.
It has been discussed already on this site but I will include the meat and potatoes in the next post right after this one.

For us to move forward with the plans on this, I need to know how many kids teams will participate in this. Will you please post here your team name and then the kids team name that you are “sponsoringâ€

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
05-02-2008 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

Re: Hyrum Kids Cook-off - I need to know who is in...
1st ever Smoke upon the Water Kids BBQ Cook Off
Hyrum State Park May

The kids cook off is for kids 6-14. There is no fee to register.
There will be 2 categories- Whole Cornish Game Hen and 2 Kabobs.
Kid teams can be made up of 1 or more individuals. You do need to be sponsored by a team competing in the 2008 Smoke upon the Water contest and will need to provide or share with your sponsor team all supplies including a grill or smoker, tables awning kitchen tools etc. You will also need to supply all meats, food, garnish and seasoning. Turn in containers will be provided to you at the event.

The cook off will be held on Sat
Sign in and Team meeting will be held Sat at 9am and inspection will be held right after about 9:30am. (An adult responsible for the kid team needs to be present at the 9am Meeting and at inspection). The kids may start cooking as soon as their sponsor team has turned in their Brisket.
Turn in will be:
2 Kabobs at 3:15pm
1 Whole Cornish Game Hen at 3:45pm
Award Ceremony will be held at 4:30 for both the Kids cook-off and the adult cook-off.

Inspection- The inspector will be looking to ensure that the meat has been stored properly and is at a temp of 40F or less. Meats and other foods can be cut and prepared at this point. Meats cannot yet be marinating and must be uncooked. Kabobs cannot yet be put together.

Contest: Once the inspection is over no adult or anyone not on the team roster may touch the meat or the other foods and spices. An adult should be with the team to ensure safety and may help with the grill and smoker. The adult must not do any of the food prep or cooking otherwise the team will be disqualified. Following inspection the kid team may marinate and season meat and prepare kabobs if they desire, however cooking may not begin until the sponsor team has turned in their Brisket for the adult comp. Meat must continue to be stored in a cooler at the proper temps until cooking begins.

Grill/Smoker: The Grill or smoker used must be of the same type for a KCBS competition. No gas grills.

Cornish Game Hen: After inspection you may marinade or season as you see fit. The bird must be turned in whole- not cut or pulled. If you desire you may use green leafy lettuce and parsley as a garnish. You may also put sauce on the bird if you choose, but it may not be pooled in the container.

Kabob’s- You must turn in 2 Kabobs. You may choose any meat and as many varieties of meat that you choose, you may also choose any vegetable, fruit or other food item to place on the Kabob. The Kabobs do need to have meat; Vegetables, fruits and other food items are optional. If you do put these other food items on the Kabob they will also be judged along with the meat. The Kabobs can be the same but they do not need to be. 2 judges will share one kabob and the other 2 judges will share the other kabob. All meats must be cooked to a safe temperature for that meat. Kabobs cannot be longer then 18 inches. Kabobs may be made of wood skewers or metal skewers. After the judging is complete you may get your skewers back if they are not disposable. You may use up to 2 skewers for each Kabob. If you desire, a garnish of green leafy lettuce and parsley may be used. You may add sauce to the kabob but it cannot be pooled in the container.

Judging- There will be 4 judges judging your entries – You just need to supply one whole hen and 2 kabobs and the judges will have knives and such to cut and share your entries amongst themselves.
The Judges will be judging on the following Criteria:
Appearance / Creativity
Taste
Tenderness / Texture

1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded for each category.
Other prizes and awards will also be given at the judge’s discretion.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
05-02-2008 11:45 AM
Sexy Mexican Offline

My three boys (ages 7,8,12) will be participating in the kids comp.

My Team Name: Sexy Mexican BBQ
Kids Team Name: My Three Sons BBQ

Thanks for putting this together.

Galo

"Yo Quiero BBQ!"
05-02-2008 12:07 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

My 14 year old daughter is trying to back out on me now. I still think she will do it once we get up there and she sees how much fun it will be. So I am 98.7% sure I will have 1 kid.
05-04-2008 08:45 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I have 3 sons that will be smokin'. :shock:
Do they have to be a team or can they do it individually?
05-04-2008 11:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

I don't see any reason they can't do it individually, we said a team is 1 or more.

If they each want to be there own team that should be ok.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
05-05-2008 09:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hyrum BBQ Cook-off Gene 9 1,467 05-22-2008 01:46 PM
Last Post: norm
  Hyrum in May- Kids Comp Infamous Dave 23 4,810 04-14-2008 09:26 PM
Last Post: Big Anthony