Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just a reminder....Health Department
Flexo Offline

Just a reminder....Health Department
When we were cooking for the Hog Heaven event in Pleasant Grove, the Utah County health inspector stopped by. He checked all of our sites. He only came up with a couple of infractions. The one he was most concerned about was a HAND WASHING STATION. You need to have access to a hand washing station. Now you didn't need to have one in every booth, but it had to be accessible. Those who have motorhomes or trailers with your site can claim that as a hand washing station. The other was about using liquid sauces that were not prepared onsite. I think he was just looking for other things since we were pretty well good on the other stuff.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-17-2010 07:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Just a reminder....Health Department
Yup, some of them dont like to get skunked :lol: They will come up with some wild ideas just because they can. I would have politely asked him what he would want me to do the next weekend when I would be vending burgers and hot dogs????? Make my own ketchup and mustard :shock:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-17-2010 08:05 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Quote from the Salt Lake Valley Health Department Regulations:

Home Cooking
Home cooked foods are not allowed at temporary events!
All foods and drinks offered to the public must be prepared in a licensed, commercial kitchen or at the food booth on the day of the event.
Under no circumstances can food be prepared in a private residence and then offered to the public.
The public assumes that the food they purchase at special events is safe to eat. The Health Department does not
inspect private home kitchens and cannot certify that proper food handling procedures were followed or conditions were sanitary.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
09-17-2010 03:23 PM
aaronbarker Offline

For sauces, when he came to our "kitchen" he said they had to be prepared on site or be commercially made. So making your own sauce on site may be difficult, but bringing some of your choice brand and doctoring it there was ok. Also would cover the bringing of ketchup and mustard situation.
09-17-2010 08:04 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Was there a peoples choice or where you selling to the public? If not the health department has no place at the event. If you are entered into an event and a group is eating and the general public is not eating the health department has no say in the matter dew to the fact that it is a privet event. In other words if your not being payed according to the state regs its the same as you being in your back yard and cooking for the same group of eaters. This does not make it okay to not have a hand wash station in your space. At most markets and other outdoor events you have to have one in each station, its just as much for your safety as anyone else.

BDS 1 BDS 2
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
09-23-2010 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

At the Hog Heaven event, there was a temporary HD permit that covered those of us cooking for the Kiwanis. So yes the food we cooked was being sold to the public.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-23-2010 09:23 AM
Desert Magnolia Offline

well in that case i can see why they where there and it all makes since. They must have lumped you all in as one cooking group. In Utah for vending events to the public every vender mist have a hand wash station that cannot be shared. In weber county if your doing chicken and one other meat they have made me have 2 dew to the chicken a time or two. As for sauces and such you have to have an approved kitchen to do anything "off sight". Has to do with cooking and cooling requirements, if food is heated to a proper temp and then cooled to slowly it can give any nasty little critters in there a chance to grow again. Then if you dont heat it back up to a high enough temp 180f it could make people sick, costing more money out of pocket than having the kitchen to do it in.

BDS 1 BDS 2
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
09-29-2010 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mjerdmann Offline

help me .. help mme . this seemed lilke the right thread o post on ...

a friend invited me to prepare smoked turkeys and hams for his company party next month. Do i need a permit/lisence to drop off and charge for the food?

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
11-10-2010 07:56 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Legally, Yes.
That is considered catering. We have to have a business license, tax id #s, health dept permits, insurance etc.
Bottom line is when ever you sell food, you have to have a license.
Is it worth the risk that if the turkeys make every one sick, are you prepared to lose everything you own over it? It doesn't even have to be your fault.
What if the store sold you bad turkeys to start with? We have a $ 1,000,000 insurance policy to cover things like that.
Absolutely no food may be prepared in the home and sold to the public. All food must be prepared in a HD certified kitchen or at the clients event by a licensed caterer. I am a licensed caterer and I can't even do drop off service because we do no have a certified kitchen. We do all of our cooking on site at the events to be legal.
If the Health Dept catches wind of you doing it, I have heard rumors on other sites that they charge as much as a $1,000 fine per offense (per bird or ham).
It cost us caterers more than $1500 per year just for the opportunity to legally cook for other folks.
So, the decision is up to you.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them for you.
So does that help you any?

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
11-10-2010 10:03 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I totally agree with Mike.. Although most caterers start off, the way you are, flying under the radar so to speak, it is not worth the risk. Mainly because of the type of meat (turkey). If it can happen,(food poisoning) it will most likely involve the " dirty birds"

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-11-2010 11:38 AM
mjerdmann Offline

Wow, I had no idea. I am not surprised ... thanks for the feedbnack.. I really appreciate it.

I am not cut out for catering . I just love to cook ...

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
11-11-2010 06:23 PM
norm Offline

And....
It looks like there is more to come.
http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/fda-food-sa...udy-13773/

This is why I personally baste with high test liquor for sanitation purposes, but whoo man ya gotta watch those flare-ups :shock: :lol:

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
11-11-2010 10:21 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

norm Wrote:And....
It looks like there is more to come.
http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/fda-food-sa...udy-13773/

This is why I personally baste with high test liquor for sanitation purposes, but whoo man ya gotta watch those flare-ups :shock: :lol:

Tru Dat! High octane, like GJ...... Just never heard it called basting before :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-12-2010 08:37 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

So......... all these bugs came from where? Never heard about that stuff 30-40 years ago. What has changed. The stuff they are fed? Plant sanitation? Both? More? :evil: Greedy freekin' lawyers & lazy mooches wantin' a free ride. :evil:
Ya, that's probably hittin' the nail on the head.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
11-12-2010 03:16 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Get a jump on the governmernt: Develop a tastey hickory smoked Soylent Green.
11-12-2010 03:33 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Larry Jacobs Wrote:Get a jump on the governmernt: Develop a tastey hickory smoked Soylent Green.

I once smoked T.V.P. and put it on fresh no egg buckwheat noodles with tomato sauce to mess with my vegan friend... does that count?

To be honest the Food Safety Manager is a joke. Its a little more in depth than a food handlers permit enough to make you kitchen certified. Having said that, I spent 7 years as a truck driver eating in the grimiest back woods truck stops, and never got sick. We can leave that to a major chain that wrecked a chicken sandwich for me to this day.

BDS 1 BDS 2
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
11-16-2010 09:47 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

My family loves to go to Taylorsville Dayz for a fun night of food and fireworks. The food booths that I see there are mostly run by families that must not be dealing with the same board of health I do. Their booths are dirty, greasy and I wouldn't eat there if they paid me. If they own food service gloves, they must be saving them food the inspector.
11-16-2010 12:24 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I hear ya Larry. Then they wonder why there sales are low.... BTW, I read in a post above by BackCountry, that your re-heating temp is 180*???? Whats your hot holding temp. Here in ID, its 165*, 140*

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
11-16-2010 01:42 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Gene Wrote:So......... all these bugs came from where? Never heard about that stuff 30-40 years ago. What has changed. The stuff they are fed? Plant sanitation? Both? More?

Same place they always did... all round us! The fact you did not hear about it so much was that back in the day, 99% of those cooking for friends and family gatherings, knew how to do things the right way because they always did it the right way, or they wouldn't be invited to cook the next time, with your name being on the line for local food at your church or neighborhood gathering, if you did hear about someone getting sick, the chances were that everyone at the event got sick.

Now that we don't have that knowledge and control over who is going to be cooking for us... we need the Food Police IMO!

What we don't need is the whole BS about the litigation side of the whole thing... unless you are actually sick enough to need medical treatment that is! :|

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-18-2010 01:07 PM