Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ribs in Boise
BBQSki Offline

Ribs in Boise
I've been using Sam's clubs' ribs and have been dissatisfied with the inconsistency -- every time I've got some over the past few months they have been too small, too large, or just plain funky (one set was actually funky smelling). Never had any problems last year.

Can any Idaho/Boise people help a brother out? Where is a good source of spare ribs other than Sams in the area? Thanks a bunch
04-14-2008 05:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Ribs in Boise
OH Man :shock: Do I know what the "FUNK" is like! One thing about Sam's is you can take the package lable back to them ( not the ribs) and they will not only give you your $$ back, but also give you (free of charge) a new package of ribs. I have only had this "funky" smell on BB ribs, The funny part was the butcher said, "Yea there a little on the gassy side" :x I said "No, I can be a little gassy :oops: These things stink" :lol: Also want to add that the sell by date had 5-6 days left on it? Go figure? Costco has always had nice BB ribs, and also try Cash N Carry in Nampa

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-14-2008 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I'll second what Dave said about Costco. I have only had moderately funky ribs once from them, and they were fine after rinsing an letting them breathe for a few minutes. I am a food safety freak, so I am on high alert for stuff like that.

John
04-14-2008 10:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

Thanks.....I'll put up a rack or two this weekend and test them out.
04-15-2008 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hossrocks Offline

I've had really good luck with meat from Cash and Carry. Always fresh and never funky! There is a location in both Nampa and downtown Boise.

Hoss
Kuna, ID USA
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com">www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com</a><!-- w -->
Louisiana Grill Whole Hog - Brinkman back yard Pro - UDS - Traeger 150 - Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
09-09-2008 09:14 AM
Unregistered

I'll take this opportunity to revise and extend my earlier remarks. I've recently switched to Cash & Carry for all of my competition meats (except chicken -- they don't carry fresh) and supplies. They even have double-washed and trimmed parsley in 16oz bags, which saves tons of time in building boxes.

The place is rarely busy, has a very helpful staff, and the selection and prices are great. You can dig through cases of meat and produce to your heart's content. That alone is worth the price of admission.

You transplants from California and other larger markets will notice that Cash & Carry is indeed Smart & Final. :wink:

Locations
Boise
Nampa

John
09-09-2008 09:46 AM
Three4Que Offline

Man I only wish they had a Smart & Final in the Ogden area!! I miss the one they have in Mesa, AZ

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
09-09-2008 09:11 PM
BBQSki Offline

Checked out cash and carry this morning -- good tip PD. I had no idea this place had this kind of stuff. I always assumed it was like a dollar store :roll:
09-10-2008 01:17 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Another cool store to check out here in Boise is Standard Restaurant Supply on Fairview. This place has everything, I bet I spent an hour in there, just looking, but did pick up a brisket knife while I was there!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
09-10-2008 01:34 PM
Three4Que Offline

Any restaurant supply stores in the Layton/Ogden area?

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
09-11-2008 06:02 AM
Swine Steward Offline

John and Dave,

Are there any good sources for chicken in the Boise area? I used to use Costco, but they recently switched from Foster Farms to a Kirkland brand. It tastes OK, but just doesn't look as good as the Foster Farms brand.
09-27-2008 03:31 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

That will vary, day to day, week to week, and package to package! There have been times that I have been to 3-5 stores to get my chix and briskets. Ya just never know. Wal-mart, Winco, Albertsons. Sam's....... you pick.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
09-27-2008 07:35 PM
Unregistered

I will agree with Dave, but if you ever have the choice of Sanderson Farms, buy it! They produce some seriously good chicken. I used to get it at Albertson's, but they quit carrying it. I haven't seen it since. I wonder if the new Albertson's store brand is relabeled Sanderson chicken. I cooked some tonight and it was very good. I'll investigate and let y'all know.

John
09-27-2008 10:15 PM