Poll: Do you have kids that would compete in a kids BBQ comp at Hyrum?
YES
NO
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hyrum in May- Kids Comp
Infamous Dave Offline

Hyrum in May- Kids Comp
Is there interest to hold a kids BBQ comp in conjunction with Smoke upon the Water?
If you will be up there anyway do you have any kid(s) that would compete in there own small comp?
It would be 2-3 meats and from start to finish would last 2-3 hours.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
04-03-2008 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Anthony Offline
Account not Activated

I won't be able to make it, but i love the idea. My daughter is already getting into the barbeque thing. She's only two, and already she's pulling the Worchestershire sauce and liquid smoke out of the pantry and tucking a spatula under her arm
04-03-2008 08:31 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Re: Hyrum in May- Kids Comp
My 13 year old will be there with me. Sometimes I think she can cook better than me. She is always running the grill when we do block parties. I kind of like the idea. What a great way to get the kids excited about BBQ. This way they would get more involved other than "just hepling dad" cook.
04-06-2008 10:30 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Great Idea. My kids would love to cook.
Big Anthony;p="8438 Wrote:liquid smoke
Be careful what you say. Thats a swear word around here Big Anthony. :wink:
04-06-2008 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Hey Vic, maybe we could call the Kids cook-off "Junior Liquid Smoke IN the Water". :lol:

All kidding aside, I think this would be great for the kids and give them something to do.
We would not have to go to a lot expense to do this.
Maybe we could have them see who could come up with the best:
Gourmet Hot Dog
Gourmet Hamburger
Chicken Drumsicks or Wings
Little Smokies
Shishkabobs
Shrimp
Tin Foil Dinner
Dessert

There are TONS of things they could do!

We could even give the kids some judging lessons and let them judge thier favorites!

I have never been to one of these things, so how many folks bring thier kids?
Are these family affairs or mostly grown ups?

I like the idea myself!
04-07-2008 11:01 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

It looks like we have enough response to go with the kids cookoff at Smoke upon the Water.
We will post the rules and how to sign up (free).
It will be simple this first time to see how well it goes.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-07-2008 11:35 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sounds like a cool idea! My daughter Morgan is very excited about this. As the number kids to enter this event will be few, I think we as parents should toss in $5 or $10, to make sure ALL the kids go the stage and get something for there efforts. How about age groups, ya cant have a 13 yr old and a 7 year old going head to head.

my .02

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-08-2008 11:39 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Packer,
Yep that is something that we already have discussed. It's good to see that others are on the same page. We will judge and have them compete and we will determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd. But in the end everyone that participates will get a call to the stage and will win something. Before we have parents donate and that is an option, I am going to see if I can't get some business to donate some prizes such as gift cards to block buster or to wal mart. Something like that.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-08-2008 12:02 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, I think that there is more to organizing this idea of a kids Q than most realize? If we take a year to plan it I think that it will be more enjoyable for the kids. If you care to contact me I will be glad to explain some of the issues off of the forum. We need to concentrate on making the main event a success, and then move to other areas? Just my 2 cents.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
04-08-2008 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Hyrum has/is becoming a GREAT annual event but I agree with T regarding the kids comp. I've been at several competitions out of state and it does take some doin' to pull it off; it's a comp in-and-of itself. It will be more enjoyable for the kids with some planning. There's alot of variables to take into consideratioin; the catgories, judging, scoring and and timing is just a few of the issues. This is my 2 cents worth as well.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
04-08-2008 09:49 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Before I sign up my daughter, I need to know when would they be turning stuff in? Is this planned for the same day and time that I'm working on turnins, if so I gotta be honest I'm not up for it. To me it would be like adding another category that I would need to plan my cooking around. If it is on regular turn in day, then we would be adding one or more people to an already busy and crowded cooking area... I probably sound like a bad daddy but I think there's a time and place for everything and I'm not sure that this is when and where I want my eight year old playing with fire.

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-09-2008 11:38 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Here is the plan. 2 kabobs and a cornish game hen. Cook and turn in on Friday p.m. There's probably only 6-8 young 'uns participating so it ain't gonna be that involved. We'll get some judges from some place. We are just getting the details finalized. We are going to work it so each participant will receive an award. There will be a 1,2,& 3 place awards also. Guide lines to follow soon.
If it don't work out you can tell us "I told you so" and I'll eat another Mc Rib. Shudder.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-09-2008 12:23 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Sounds good to me. I'll support you and try to do my best to help where needed. My kids would love to compete. What is the age group?
04-09-2008 07:32 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I'm takin' a wag at 8-14?

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-09-2008 07:50 PM
Crazy Cajun Offline

Now this is a can of worms!

I gotta follow T on this thing. Hyrum is only going into its second year.
A Friday night turn in for the kids also involves..
late arrivals and setups,
meat inspections,
brisket handouts from our sponsor
cooks meeting,
pot luck supper

and, well, at some point.... the competition really begins.

Its a great idea and I believe that the Hyrum event will become an annual event.
As a number of folks stated, the Kids Cook may (and will) become alot more involved than it appears on the surface.

My .02 are going for a more laid out plan at the 3rd annual Hyrum Event.

CC

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
04-09-2008 09:02 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

The idea behind the kids cookoff up in Hyrum was to have an activity that the kids could do up there for a few hours. As we have talked to several individuals we know that there will be alot of families that will come to this and several teams and families are planning on staying up there for 2-3 nights. This competition was never thought of to be complicated or a major event. Just a fun way for some of us to get our kids involved with us in the sport. If you feel that you or your child would rather do something else during this time, thats ok, this is just a small activity for those that want to do it.

Here is what we had in mind:
We would love any feedback or suggestions to make it better.

1st ever Smoke upon the Water Kids BBQ Cook Off
Hyrum State Park May

The kids cook off is for kids 6-14. There is no fee to register.
There will be 2 categories- Whole Cornish Game Hen and 2 Kabobs.
Kid teams can be made up of 1 or more individuals. You do need to be sponsored by a team competing in the 2008 Smoke upon the Water contest and will need to provide or share with your sponsor team all supplies including a grill or smoker, tables awning kitchen tools etc. You will also need to supply all meats, food, garnish and seasoning. Turn in containers will be provided to you at the event.

The cook off will be held on Sat
Sign in and Team meeting will be held Sat at 9am and inspection will be held right after about 9:30am. (An adult responsible for the kid team needs to be present at the 9am Meeting and at inspection). The kids may start cooking as soon as their sponsor team has turned in their Brisket entry.
Turn in will be:
2 Kabobs at 3:15pm
1 Whole Cornish Game Hen at 3:45pm
Award Ceremony will be held at 4:30 for both the Kids cook-off and the adult cook-off.

Inspection- The inspector will be looking to ensure that the meat has been stored properly and is at a temp of 40F or less. Meats and other foods can be cut and prepared at this point. Meats cannot yet be marinating and must be uncooked. Kabobs cannot yet be put together.

Contest: Once the inspection is over no adult or anyone not on the team roster may touch the meat or the other foods and spices. An adult should be with the team to ensure safety and may help with the grill and smoker. The adult must not do any of the food prep or cooking otherwise the team will be disqualified. Following inspection the kid team may marinate and season meat and prepare kabobs if they desire, however cooking may not begin until the sponsor team has turned in their Brisket for the adult comp. Meat must continue to be stored in a cooler at the proper temps until cooking begins.

Grill/Smoker: The Grill or smoker used must be of the same type for a KCBS competition. No gas grills.

Cornish Game Hen: After inspection you may marinade or season as you see fit. It must be cooked until a probe thermometer registers at least 155F. The bird must be turned in whole- not cut or pulled. If you desire you may use green leafy lettuce and parsley as a garnish. You may also put sauce on the bird if you choose, but it may not be pooled in the container.

Kabob’s- You must turn in 2 Kabobs. You may choose any meat and as many varieties of meat that you choose, you may also choose any vegetable, fruit or other food item to place on the Kabob. The Kabobs do need to have meat; Vegetables, fruits and other food items are optional. If you do put these other food items on the Kabob they will also be judged along with the meat. The Kabobs can be the same but they do not need to be. 2 judges will share one kabob and the other 2 judges will share the other kabob. All meats must be cooked to a safe temperature for that meat. Kabobs cannot be longer then 18 inches. Kabobs may be made of wood skewers or metal skewers. After the judging is complete you may get your skewers back if they are not disposable. You may use up to 2 skewers for each Kabob. If you desire, a garnish of green leafy lettuce and parsley may be used. You may add sauce to the kabob but it cannot be pooled in the container.

Judging- There will be 4 judges judging your entries – You just need to supply one whole hen and 2 kabobs and the judges will have knives and such to cut and share your entries amongst themselves.
The Judges will be judging on the following Criteria:
Appearance / Creativity - 0.5714
Taste - 2.2858
Tenderness / Texture - 1.1428

1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded for each category.
Other prizes and awards will also be given at the judge’s discretion.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-10-2008 01:22 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

So the question is...
Based on the plan outlined above and I know it was long, but with some of the concerns we wanted to post the entire plan, do we have enough intrest from some to move forward? Skinny Boys BBQ will sponsor one kids team. Anyone else?

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-11-2008 02:16 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

My kids would like to do it. I think it will be fun.
04-13-2008 08:53 AM
Z Offline

My kids are also wanting to do this. The Nevada State had one scheluded 2 years ago that got cancelled last minute, and my kids have been itching to compete ever since.

Z and April

"Put your barbeque where your mouth is"
04-13-2008 11:49 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

I've got a brand new Weber Smokey Joe that could be used as a prize.... Smile

-joe

Get your smoke on...
04-13-2008 01:14 PM
Sexy Mexican Offline

The Smokin' Ramirez's are up for it! My three sons (ages 7, 8, & 12) are looking forward to it. Maybe they'll be able to stop fighting long enough to work as a team :roll:
04-13-2008 04:48 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Ok 4 kids teams so far...
Any others?
Joe we would love your Smokey Joe as a prize, my son would think that was Awesome if he won his own grill.

I am working on some other prizes myself and we will make sure that we have ribbons or trophies for the kids. We will get a more official kids team roster as we get closer. Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-14-2008 07:04 PM
Big Anthony Offline
Account not Activated

Great Idea you guys. I hope this goes through - the kids will love being part of the activities. Smile
04-14-2008 09:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hyrum Kids Cook-off - I need to know who is in... Infamous Dave 6 1,325 05-05-2008 09:05 AM
Last Post: Infamous Dave