Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
QN4U Cooking Class
Infamous Dave Offline

Yahoo-
Tax return came today and I can put a check in the mail today.
Is this class still a go? Should I send the check?

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
04-10-2008 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Re: QN4U Cooking Class
Yo Dave, as of today as far as we know it is still is a go, but we can't count until we get the monnies, so let er fly. Thanks for stepping up dude. I also have the monnies for the sexy/mexican [Gallo] who by the way I spent some quality time with the other day, he is a real cat, and eager to learn as well as be involved with the association. I understand that he has a FE 100 on the way.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
04-10-2008 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

I will know no later than tomorrow evening if I will be able to come down. It will all depend on my work travels next week. What do I need to bring? I know I will need to bring meat, smoker, fuel, etc.

Do I also need to bring knives, cutting boards, tables, sauce if desired, rubs .... what ever else might be necessary?

If that is the case, can someone who may be more educated in this respect let me know what else I might need to bring? It would sure be helpful to have a comprehensive lits of what will be needed.
04-10-2008 04:02 PM
BBQMama Offline

Check out the following post for a competition checklist

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?t=393&highlight=checklist">http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?t= ... =checklist</a><!-- m -->

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
04-10-2008 04:59 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

OUCH!!! That's pretty extensive. What are the absolute necessaries.
04-10-2008 05:26 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

You could leave the beer :cry: and the cell phone home. :lol: Other than that the gal has it covered from A as in April to Z as in Z. Hi you two.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-10-2008 06:15 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Hey all,
Just a note to let you know that I have my application in an envelope waiting to go. I just need to go buy a stamp (I am all out) and drop it in the box. Does anyone know what kind of accommodations will be there?
Is it a large place and can we bring a trailer to stay in?
Thanks all,
Mike
04-10-2008 06:30 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

The check was mailed today. Joe- I would imagine that you will receive it by Sat.
Thanks

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
04-10-2008 07:02 PM
Z Offline

Gene,

Those are the first two things on my list! A guys gotta have a connection to the outside world and a cold one, so he doesn't get bored while she is setting up camp. :lol: Look forward to seeing you there!

April and Z (hehehehe)

"Put your barbeque where your mouth is"
04-10-2008 09:04 PM
elkski Offline

So, whats the deal on this class??? I am on the fence but remember way back when it was advertised as only for paid members!!! so I thought I would gamble and wait and see.. I was somewhat put off by this as I expect others were.. ITs not the best way to get someone to join a group or website IMHO.
I sure thought the 25 slots would be filled by now.

Anyway my mind starts to think where all the money will go. I mean was this set up for as a fixed price QN$U deal and the excess benifits someone or what? Maybe the extra goes to Utah BBQ org or an individual? say it costs 2500$ and they hope to raise some cash for some purpose for the website or personal gain it makes a difference to me. Just being honest here.
Seems like a better way to sell this then would have been to say hey the cost is XXZZ.YY $ if we get more folks to sign up the individual cost goes down. After we raise so much profit for the new servers/ website bills/ free food for the needy xyz family or what ever.

so whats the deal? Who stands to profit from this? I'm sure this is the going rate in other areas of the country where Q is more established.
As you know I have only done one competition and I am proud to say I was not last in any meat category if I remember right the smokin Sista's fire saved me on my chicken!! thanks.
I might be interested as this sounds like a one of a kind event in one of my 5 active hobbies.
So for all the folks out there who are not members like me this is a great bunch of BBQ folks.
The gear list is really intimidating at first but you can dig up most of the stuff or folks will surely help you out.
IT looks like non members are welcome now to pay the bill.
Even if I don't attend I thanks the folks for all the hard work that has been put into this effort. It would be sad to see in not happen.
04-11-2008 09:02 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Randy, my guestion is, you were in my restaurant the other evening and if you had these questions, why didn't you asked me about them , rather than choosing to voice them on a public forum? Paid members have to have some benefit from being a paid member. We offered this class to them first. Why is that so hard to understand? Joe and I started this organization and set it up as a non- profit organization and that's what it has been. You don't have a clue as to how many times I have had monies come from my own pocket to make things happen. If you would have attended the last association meeting, you might have a better understanding of what's going on and your questions would have been welcomed. Paid members get a membership discount from the class. Let me tell you something else. Myself, Gene, Brian, and Z all sent in the full amount of $300 which includes the cost for your spouse attending. All of us waived our discount to see this happen. I can assure you or anyone else, that there has not been anyone that has made a dime off of this association for their individual needs and as long as I'm in the picture they won't. Now let's move on to the QN4U cooking class. We chose to bring them here with alot of enthusiasm from members. QN4U is one of the West coast's top teams in competition today and well respected in the BBQ world. Those that have a passion for BBQ know this. Active cooks know this and we considered that taking a class from them couldn't do anything but better our skills. I have been cooking for years and you never know it all. Like I said "the guy that thinks he knows everything has begun to die". R&R was your first competition and you had a million questions my friend. If you would have taken or take the offered class ,all questions would be answered, plus some valuable one on one. Maybe this year, instead of coming in last ,by taking the class you can place higher, which I would like to see. Respectfully my friiend the name of the team giving the class is QN4U not QN$U. Now it's your choice to fall on whatever side of the fence you wish.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
04-11-2008 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaybird Offline

Yeah, what T said!!

Oh, and the 'going rate' around the country is $500 and $600 with spouse. The QN4U class is as reasonable as it gets. These guys aren't just foolin around. They are there to make you better and shave years off your learning curve. I know, I've competed against them about 25 times. Do not miss this class! Actually, I wish you would because you would be one less team I have to worry about.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
04-11-2008 12:26 PM
norm Offline

Is there any way to get my money in before this gets cancelled? Can I drop my $300 off with you T? Sorry about the delay, but I didn't get approval from the warden until last night. :shock:
Thanks,
Jason

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
04-11-2008 12:35 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

D.O.Dude. Send it, your check, if you haven't please, and let T know it's in the mail. I' am taking my M.H. and T will have his there, so yeah, bring your trailer. weather.com says weather will be good with only a 10% chance of rain on Sunday.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
04-11-2008 12:43 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Norm, just fill out you registration form, and bring it by. I have the sexey/mexicans cash as well, and GBQ is bringing his by. Are you planning on bringing your spouse, because that is the price for both? $250 for you alone. You will not regret taking the class. Thanks for the support guys.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

KCBS Certified Judge

04-11-2008 12:49 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well said T, Very well said!
Randy, you should have taken my advice I gave you on the PM and on the phone Today :roll:

When in doubt, ask privately.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-11-2008 01:16 PM
BBQSki Offline

T, Joe and others......I want to apologize for not being able to show up for this class. I was indeed one of the enthusiastic ones that wanted (and still do) to go to the class back in October. I had some personal issues come up that make it impossible for me to go. Sorry guys......
04-11-2008 01:27 PM
norm Offline

Thanks T,
Yes the wife and I will be there.

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
04-11-2008 03:12 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Gene & T,
The check went out at 4:00 am this morning.
See you there!
Let me know if youguys need any help.
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
04-11-2008 03:17 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Joe and T.
I have rearanged my work schedule so I will be able to come to the class. I will send you the complete $300 for me and my wife. Thanks see you there.
04-11-2008 05:48 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Randy, I really don't have the time, energy, or patience to respond in the manner that I probably should, but what I will say is that had you actually read all the posts regarding this subject, you'd realize that your most of your questions regarding the class have already been answered.

Regarding the question about "where does the money go?", that's a rather silly question in my opinion. Do you spend your money in a store and ask that question? Do you pay for a doctor visit and ask where the money goes? If you, or anyone else feels such an incredible need to know where the money for this class is going, send me an email and I'll explain it to you. But if you ever again suggest that these monies are for anyone's personal gain, we're really going to have a problem.

Being that in its current state the Utah BBQ Association is an LLC owned by yours truly (we haven't determined that going for a 501c3 is the best thing to do), I could legally take every friggin' dime that comes in as my own and maybe I wouldn't have to be contemplating bankruptcy right now. But has that happened? No, not even close and I am incredibly offended that you even chose to use the words "personal gain". Yes, Brent Walton will be getting paid, and I'm sure that the money he receives will be for his personal gain, but what business is that of yours or mine? If you don't want him (or this Association) to profit from the class so that we may pay the bills that will be coming up for the cookoffs that will be happening, I cordially invite you to stay home.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
04-11-2008 06:20 PM
pitbulls Offline

sorry I cant make it that little thing called work came up is this a closed event I'd like to stop by and meet some of you and get some idea what I'am getting into
04-11-2008 08:22 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Again! Well put Joe!... I personally feel that he came into this org. at his first comp. Fire Water&Ice, "Hell Bent for Election" And he found out what the true meaning of dedication, loyalty, and the true friendship we all have together and what it really means to us as a group, but some how it really didnt sink in.

Randy I hope you have better luck.. Well luck will not have anything to do with it, but I hope your other hobbies will come through for you

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-11-2008 08:22 PM
Unregistered

All I can say is that this is sad. It's sad to see someone so jaded my his own preconceived notions. Let's face it folks, competition BBQ is not a money-making venture for most, if any, of us. We spend our hard-earned money to pursue our craft and to have fellowship and encouragement amongst like minded folks.

To have someone suggest that there is some ill-gotten gain is the height of insult. I'm a wholehearted supporter of the UBBQA, but I'd be among the first to acknowledge that I don't do all I can for the organization. However, I am proud of to be a member and to do what little I can to further BBQ in the northwest. It's not really about what's in it for me, but more the camaraderie of friendly competition.

Randy, I remember helping you with a few questions on the competition trail last year, and I will continue to during this season and those to come. All I ask is that, when you receive help, please pass it on in the same spirit in which it was given to you. Simply pay it forward. There is no personal gain in play, my friend.

John
04-11-2008 10:05 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Sexy Mexican Offline

Joe & T:

I have convinced my brother to attend. He's the other half of the Sexy Mexican BBQ Team. But just between us, all the girls say says I'm sexier :lol: . (Ok, maybe that's just my wife, and then only on a good day).

T, I'll drop off his registration form and $250 by the restaurant on Monday. On a side note, my FE100 is supposed to arrive on Thursday, so he'll use my old gasser and I'll use the FE, since we each need to have our own smoker (right?). If the FE doesn't arrive, however, we'll have to share my gasser if that's ok. Thanks.

Galo
04-11-2008 11:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poultry Cooking Class bbqpitstop 5 960 11-05-2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: bgreenlee
  Cooking Class!!! Lotta Bull BBQ- Mike Davis Update!!! LoneStar Smoke Rangers 0 775 01-24-2012 10:34 PM
Last Post: LoneStar Smoke Rangers
  Lotta Bull "U" Competition Cooking Class!! Mike Davis 6 Time World Champion LoneStar Smoke Rangers 3 882 12-11-2011 02:27 PM
Last Post: Gene