Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
QN4U Cooking Class
Infamous Dave Offline

Well I can tell that this is a sensitive matter, but after Joe's response I do have a few honest questions...
I am not a lawyer but I did go to college for a business marketing degree and so I did have to learn some, about different types of businesses. I will admit that right now I don't remember everything hence wanting to ask some questions- so please no one take offense. I don't think that in the state of Utah an LLC can be a non for profit org. I could be wrong. But I have always understood and thought that this association was a non for profit group. Is that not right? I also thought that if your business was set up as an LLC that your name had to include LLC at the end of it. So it would be Utah BBQ Association LLC. This let's people know that it is a business and not a non for profit group. Again I am not sure on any of this but the reason that I am asking, is that if Joe is the sole owner of the UBBQA LLC and for what ever reason decides that he doesn't want to do this anymore, legally wouldn't he have the right to shut down this site and cease the existance of the UBBQA. He would legally own the name and it couldn't be used by the rest of us etc. And if there was $5,000 sitting in the bank account it would become his money even if that money was intended for other reasons. Now please Joe, don't take offense for my question, I have never met you before and I am sure that you are a great guy and would never do any of this, but isn't it a fair question for those of us that thought or were led to believe that we were joining a non for profit organization. I would assume that KCBS isn't owned by one person but that the members can elect and impeach leaders as they see fit and if someone at the top quits the entire org doesn't come to an end but the members can elect someone else and they move on. I think that for those of us that are investing time and money through this organization it is fair to know that our investment of time and money are protected legally and after Joes last comment in this post it leads me to wonder if they are. So if these things are in place to protect all of us, then just clarify your last post. If not, is it not fair to ask the question in an honest way and then to get an honest answer? Again, I'm not attacking anyone, I just want clarification on all of this. I appreciate everything that everyone has done for me and for BBQ. And I do look forward to many more years to come!!!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
04-12-2008 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

My appologies,
After my last post I did start diging through this site and did find most of my answers. On the membership form it does state the official name as Utah BBQ Association LLC. In the FAQ section it does state that this is a not for profit group and so I must have been wrong apparently you can be an LLC and non for profit at the same time, I didn't think it was legal but like I said I don't know everything. It also states in the FAQ that our association does have elections and members can vote and so if Joe ever wants to step down things must be in place to make that happen.
Again I was never attacking or pointing fingers at anyone, but after reading Joes last post it made me a little nervous. Joe if you took any offense, my appologies!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-12-2008 01:13 AM
Pegleg Offline

Re: QN4U Cooking Class
I'm sitting here reading some of these posts and completely baffeled at the very idea that this is all for personal gain is even entertained. To attack someones integrity without knowing the facts is very troubling to me. I've known the leaders of this great organiziation for several years now and there is NO ONE more selfless. Randy, when the call is put out for volunteers at the comps where are you, working on another hobby because the current one isn't benefiting you enough? The bits and bytes behind this website doesn't happen because someone is sitting on their butt with a remote in their hand; it takes time, money, and dedication. It's for the love of the game and especially the friends that are made here. I have a great deal of love and respect for Joe and T as well as for the great friends in the association.

No one will ever know what has been sacrificed by Joe and T to bring the association to the level it is today and I'm incensed that ANYONE could make the baseless accusations they have. My cell number is posted everywhere on this site, if you have questions, give me a call before you show your true colors!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
04-12-2008 09:03 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

I don't take offense, and you are correct on your several points. I'm not sure if an LLC can be a legal non-profit. We had to do something in order to get a business checking account, and an LLC was the quickest and cheapest way at the time. What I would really like to see happen right now, especially with my current financial state, is to disassociate myself with the "business". It was never a threat that I would shut anything down, though. Mostly just talking out of frustration from answering the same questions, and then seeing that post from Elkski just really ticked me off.

Again, the business side of the Association was simply thrown together in order to be able to get a business checking account so that checks could be made to the Association and not to an individual. If someone wants to step up and do the research on which non-profit filing we should do, complete the paperwork, and most importantly PAY for the filing, by all means go for it. Of course, since we don't seem to be able to raise any money for our own use, that would mean that it has to come out of my pocket, right?

With regard to the elections question, I take it you were not at the general meeting that was held at T's place a little while back? If so, you would have heard the crickets chirp when I specifically asked for volunteers to begin forming an elections comittee, seen the blank stares when I referred to the 4th post over made to this forum where I said that I got it started, but I was not going to be the one to lead the Association into the future...it was never intended that I would remain in this position.

Looking at your next post, let me say this - we are not organized as a non-profit organization. What the "not for profit" statement means is that we do not profit from the sale of any service or product and that all money that the Association makes stays within the Association. About the only time you'll see anyone getting money from the association is when we have to reimburse someone, and let me tell you there are a few of us that are owed quite a bit that we may never see...

I don't take offense to your posts. I took offense to reading a post about someone being "on the fence" about something that had been discussed for months previously, and waits until crunch time to address anything.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
04-12-2008 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

Joe,
Thanks for your post...
I have not had the oppurtunity to meet you but I have met several others that have sung your praises. And I will be the first to thank all of the founders this org. in Utah that gives us the chance to enjoy this Awesome hobby. I was not at the meeting and I should have been, but I do want to participate. I do want to help. I am a firm believer that an org. like this is only as good as the people in it that are willing to donate some time and money to keep it going. No one (or a couple of people for that matter) can make this happen on their own. We all have to take some of the burden to make this thing work. Joe, I hope you know that I never thought that you would do anything to harm the association or the group, I just wanted to know what I was involved in. It sounds like down the road we will need to make some changes, but I also can see that things were done the way they were to get this thing up and going and we are all greatful for that! I look forward to seeing you all at QN4U this coming weekend. My ribs are on the smoker as I type this for dinner tonight Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
04-12-2008 02:40 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Man, I don't think you guys know how bummed I am to not be able to be there next weekend. The only thing that could keep me away is prior commitments at church and that weekend I have some that must be tended to.

Having said that, I gotta also mention how proud I am to be associated with the likes of you people. It seemed at the beginning of this week that this class would probably fall through. But with a lot of work by one or two folks working the phones and emails, and by many of our members stepping up with their hard-earned money and limited time, this will be another success story for the UBBQA. Way to go all of you...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
04-12-2008 05:36 PM
elkski Offline

Seems like I hit a nerve!!! I have never disputed that this class would be worth every centof 250$. I have never complained the fee was to high. The truth of the matter is that I don't see myself in another competition in the near future, IF I do decide I hopefully have many years to work on my BBQ skills. Currently others and myself enjoy my BBQ greatly and I am not sure that I want my BBQ to taste like KCBS BBQ. That said I'm sure the basic info could help me be a better BBQ cook and as a student of life any knowledge is of an interest to me. I was asking a few questions in an attempt to further understand things like monies. This was partially an attempt to see how many folks needed to sign up for the class to stay alive. I thought Knowing the minimum cost and or sign ups required to keep things going was important info and seemed to be missing for some reason. Usually if there is a minimum for a class you will say so as it can helps fill up the class.
I assumed the money would be used for the club and never even had any thought that it would be misused by any individual. I had no prior suspicions of that if that is the way it sounded. I am not an English major.
I thought finding out what the extra monies over the fixed cost were earmarked for would help others feel like making an effort to take the class. OR the info on how close we were to covering the cost would help a few folks jump in to keep things alive.
Those of you that know me know I ask many questions. OF that I will not say I am sorry.
Keep up the passion for BBQ..
Smoke on!!
04-13-2008 09:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poultry Cooking Class bbqpitstop 5 939 11-05-2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: bgreenlee
  Cooking Class!!! Lotta Bull BBQ- Mike Davis Update!!! LoneStar Smoke Rangers 0 768 01-24-2012 10:34 PM
Last Post: LoneStar Smoke Rangers
  Lotta Bull "U" Competition Cooking Class!! Mike Davis 6 Time World Champion LoneStar Smoke Rangers 3 869 12-11-2011 02:27 PM
Last Post: Gene