Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UBBQA Team of the Year Award
Pegleg Offline

UBBQA Team of the Year Award
There is a thought that has been kicked around for a while and I figured I'd bring it to the forefront and see what everyone thought. Considering that this year we have more competitions scheduled then we've ever had, why not create a "Utah BBQ Association Team of the year award"; this would include anyone who competes in any competition (sanctioned or non-sanctioned and qualifier or non-qualifier) in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. We would tally up the total points of all the competitions and the team that has the highest score at the end of the season receives the award. The scoring would be from the four main categories only, any alternate entries; dessert, sauce etc. would be exempt. It's impressive to me that more and more teams are being formed and the interest in our area is growing by leaps and bounds. In 2007 we had different grand champions at every competition in Utah and Idaho. At Hyrum - Packer Backer BBQ; Fire Water and Ice - Utah Smoke; Star Idaho - Ida Que; Rockin’ Ribs - Otis and the Bird; and at Sage Brush & Smoke in Park City - Dragon Smoke. I think it would be great if we could recognize those who put so much time, effort and most of all their hearts into competing. Since the official BBQ season is just around the corner, I feel this would be a good time to start something like this and give all the teams something to look forward to at the end of the year. The award could be given out at the last contest of the season when most of us are all together. Perhaps during the season we could even keep a running total on the website as to the progress of each team. Thoughts?? Questions?? Comments??

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
02-28-2008 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Re: UBBQA Team of the Year Award
I think its a great Idea. I also think that we should have an awards banquet at the end of the year to give out the award. Just a thought.
02-28-2008 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Lyle -
There are contests also in CO, NV, CA, NM, AZ, and other Western States that teams from the UBBQA might/do compete in from time to time... Possibly the Royal or Jack... How do you see that figuring in (or not)?
02-28-2008 06:27 PM
Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

How about it's the total of your points from the best, say 3 or 5 contests you competed in. That way it's not just a contest to see who can attend the most cook offs. Or maybe an average of your contests with a minimum number required to participate...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-28-2008 06:57 PM
Pegleg Offline

Hoochie-Que;p="8105 Wrote:Lyle -
There are contests also in CO, NV, CA, NM, AZ, and other Western States that teams from the UBBQA might/do compete in from time to time... Possibly the Royal or Jack... How do you see that figuring in (or not)?

I focused on those three states mainly because that is where a majority of the UBBQA members are located and who will participate in the competitions. Perhaps we could include Arizona since we have members there as well -- Otis and the Bird have have always been great active members of the association. There are other members from there as well.

That is what this is all about, the suggestion box is open!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
02-28-2008 06:59 PM
Unregistered

I'd agree with you the bulk of our "membership" comes primarily from UT and ID, with a few from WY, AZ and other nearby states... In your original post, though, you commented, "this would include anyone who competes in any competition (sanctioned or non-sanctioned and qualifier or non-qualifier) in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming..." I was simply pointing out that some of our "membership" very well may compete in other sanctioned and non-sanctioned comps in NM, NV, CO, AZ, CA, and other states/areas this calendar year as well... And was wondering how that might "figure in", if at all... If the calculation for UBBQA "Team of the Year" is based solely on comps in UT, ID, and WY, then no problem... Just figured you might have someone from the UBBQA who might also end up in Rio Rancho (NM) or Boulder City (NV) or Durango or Grand Junction (CO) or Chandler (AZ) or other states/areas this season that might ask if those comps would possibly "count", too... And if not, perhaps why - especially if they were KCBS sanctioned...

Specifying exactly which comps will "count" would be one way to "solve" this... Sampson's idea of your points from any 3 -5 comps would be another way... Maybe you use the ranking system from the KCBS or National BBQ Rankings (http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com) as another possibility...

Another question that will have to be addressed is who exactly is a "member"? Only those who have paid dues to the UBBQA? Only those who live in UT, ID, or WY? Anyone who competes in a specified comp? Anyone who has signed up to post on the UBBQA website?
02-28-2008 08:35 PM
Pegleg Offline

Let me rephrase what I have already said and hopefully put some of this to rest. First of all, I feel the membership issue is irrelevant at this point, a majority of the members are in the three states mentioned; Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, paid members or not they are still members.

There are at least 5 worthy competitions in Utah and several scheduled for Idaho and one in Wyoming within the membership range (meaning members of the UBBQA) in which we are associated. For example, Hoochie, you won an award at the 2007 Rockin' Ribs for being the highest scoring Utah team at that competition only. The "UBBQA team of the year award" will be the highest scoring team for all of the competitions that the Utah BBQ Association is affiliated with in Utah and Idaho combined -- (perhaps we should exclude Wyoming since we are not directly involved in that comp).

While my wife and I were in Colorado two years ago I was a judge at a competition in Canon City called the "COG Shootout" and the last one of the season. At the end of the competition there was an award given out called the "Rocky Mountain Cup" which includes all of the competitions the Rocky Mountain BBQ Association was affiliated with. I found this link to the Rocky Mountain BBQ Association that details how their cup award works. I'm not saying do it this way, I'm just implying this is how they do it and perhaps we could do a much cheaper variation of it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rmbbqa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=1">http://rmbbqa.com/index.php?option=com_ ... 1&Itemid=1</a><!-- m -->

I hope this clears up some of the fuzz. Tongue

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
02-28-2008 09:45 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

How about if you want a shot at the award you need to apply. You could have the teams that want a shot at it to summit copies of there results from all of the eligable compititions they competed in.
02-28-2008 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

I think this is an outstanding idea. I used to race motorcycles before I grew my BBQ "trophy" around my waistline, and the way they scored the winner of the season is to establish a predetermined circuit of races, and everyone got to drop one race (whether it was a poor finish or just didn't show up). Points were earned by how well you placed in each race, and the person who has most points wins. It seemed to work well.....I don't see why it couldn't work for BBQ
02-28-2008 11:24 PM
Pegleg Offline

There has been some great ideas so far as to how this could be established. I hope my last post cleared up some of the grey areas. Sorry Hooch, sometimes I'm not too good at explaining things.

Our first competition is at Hyrum in May where it will all begin so we have some time to get the groundwork set. For all the teams interested in participating and since this is seperate from the regular comps I think it would be helpful to toss a coin or two in to cover the cost of the trophy(s). Do you also want a second or third place as well??

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
02-29-2008 09:49 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

My opinion is just one trophy( which could be priced out before Hyrum, as to know the cost) And I think one way to raise the $$ for the T.O.Y trophy would be to use a pre-determined amount of each teams entry fee at all the contest involved

Example: 5 events, 20 teams at each event, take $ 1.00 from each entry there ya have $100.00?
Just a thought

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-29-2008 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Don't get me wrong, Lyle.. I think the tree you are barking up is a good one... I was simply trying to point out the possible need to "define" a few things a little more clearly in order to perhaps avoid some confusion/"misunderstandings" later on... For example, you mention there are 5 comps in Utah and several in Idaho that the UBBQA is "affiliated" with... How exactly are you defining "affiliation"? Case in point might be the Snowbird event... Arlie in a sense is coming in "from the outside" in putting this event together... He doesn't live out here, and I guess a case could be made that he is (or isn't) a member of the UBBQA... Yet I know I and several other "members" of the UBBQA are either cooking and/or have offered to participate in someway or another with that comp... So the question might be posed - is the UBBQA "affiliated" with that comp as such? Does "affiliation" simply mean the event took place in UT or ID? Or does "affiliation" mean UBBQA members are at a certain comp either cooking or judging? Or is it a combination of the two? Or something else totally... You see what I mean?

What about comps that might be smaller - say less than 15 teams? Would they have the same "weight" compared to a comp that has 25+ teams? Does a comp like Hyrum - which consists mostly of "local talent" - carry the same "weight" as a comp like RNR, which for the past couple years has attracted a fair number "show case" teams from out of state?

What about comps that have CBJ's exclusively as judges - compared to a comp that finds itself having to pull a certain number of judges "off the street" at the last moment... Would that make any difference in how you might "weight" a comp?

How many "UBBQA affiliated" comps does one have to compete in to stay in the running? All of them? 51% of them?

I am simply tossing out "food for thought", Lyle... Some things I have seen other "ranking systems" deal with... This "Team of the Year" can be as simple or complicated as you and the other board members wish to make it... And you are right, the good news is that Hyrum is still a couple of months away and you have the time to decide exactly what the "rules" will be... 8)
02-29-2008 01:02 PM
Pegleg Offline

I have counted in Hyrum, Snowbird, Provo, Fire and Ice, and Rockin' Ribs plus possibly two in Idaho (yet to be determined). As far as the individual competitions go, I figure they are all the same. I'm no mathmatician but it seems to me that the percentages of winning at any single competition are the same regardless of the number of teams that enter or the types of judges being used. In other words, every team at any competition has the same chance of winning/placing as anyone else.

My feeling is to keep it simple. Once everyone agrees as to which competitions will count then we will keep a running total of the scores as the summer progresses -- and even post them if you choose. Any team may decide whether or not to participate.

The great thing about the BBQ comps is that it's the only sport where those who come in last cheers for those who come in first. That is what keep me and my family coming back!! Thanks for your comments Hoochie, all suggestions will be compiled and guidelines written up for approval by the association and participating teams.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
02-29-2008 03:37 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I like this idea...
It made me think about something that has been in the back of my mind for awhile now. I wish the UBBQA would actually sanction events kind of like the KCBS does. Maybe not as expensive and maybe not as structured as the KCBS does it, but there ought to be comps that are UBBQA sanctioned or affiliated. Other events could still advertise here but there would be certain events that would be sanctioned by the association and those events would be the ones that would be figured into "The UBBQA Team of the Year" award. You know what might be fun would be the team that wins gets a trohpy to keep but they also get something else that is passed on from year to year to the winner. -----My 2 cents

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
02-29-2008 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Pegleg;p="8130 Wrote:As far as the individual competitions go, I figure they are all the same. I'm no mathmatician but it seems to me that the percentages of winning at any single competition are the same regardless of the number of teams that enter or the types of judges being used. In other words, every team at any competition has the same chance of winning/placing as anyone else.

I'm no mathematician either, Lyle... But I have had enough math and statistics to know that the percentages of winning at any single competition are NOT the same regardless of the number of teams entered...

And as to the types of judges being used, yeah I DO think that not only makes a difference in the validity/credibility of a comp - but is also an important factor in the "chance" of any team winning/placing in a comp... IMHO, a comp that has a significant percentage of "walk-on's" for judges does not carry the same "weight" and/or level of professionalism/credibility as a comp that utilizes CBJ's pretty exclusively... And when a lot of "walk-on's" are used, opportunities can certainly present themselves where the "odds" could be "tilted" in favor of a certain team(s)... Maybe I am a little "old fashioned" here, but there was a "KCBS Judges Code of Conduct" I agreed to when I became a CBJ... And while I am not so naive to think that every CBJ always holds tried and true to that Code at every comp, I certainly feel that having 98-99-100%% of the judges at a comp being CBJ's not only makes it more professional/credible because of their training/knowledge - but this also helps insure to a higher degree that the playing field stays a little more "even" for everyone... Simply because I do feel most CBJ judges have some regard for that Code that they took an oath to...

Yeah, I feel a comp with 25-30 teams should count for more than one which only fields 15 teams... The mathematical "odds" are simply not the same for the two comps... And while it might be difficult to truly objectively assign some sort of weighted value for comps that utilize 98-99-100 % CBJ's compared to comps that can only field 50-60% (or less) CBJ's, I think winning/placing at a comp that has 98-99-100% CBJ's should indeed count for more than one that has primarily "family and friends" handling the judging...

Of course, this is also coming from "Lucky Gucci Boy" here in Park City who for a number of reasons also sees a lot of "value" for the UBBQA and it's members both now and in the future to be hosting/developing more KCBS sanctioned events in our immediate area as well... And at the present, that appears to be running somewhat counter-current, too, to the thinking of some others as well...

Oh well... Que still goes on, huh?... 8)
03-01-2008 01:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Utah BBQ Organization's 2013 Team of the Year (ToY) Race! Big Johnson's BBQ 53 3,889 04-27-2014 11:10 AM
Last Post: Haunted Grounds BBQ
  Form a team for Next Year mattsmulligan 0 252 11-23-2013 08:22 PM
Last Post: mattsmulligan
  2008 Team of the Year Award Pegleg 3 921 05-13-2008 08:19 PM
Last Post: Cyclops