Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Firehouse BBQ Cook-Off Cancelled
Flexo Offline

Firehouse BBQ Cook-Off Cancelled
I saw this on the IMBBQA web site....

Dear Fellow BBQ'ers...

It is never "fun" being the one who has to come bearing "bad tidings"... But here, at the "11th hour", we are finding ourselves with some of the "wheels falling off our bus" in regards to the Firehouse BBQ competition scheduled for next weekend... And despite some last minute and hectic "heroics" over the past several days to salvage a competition of some sort for next weekend, the Board of the Intermountain Barbecue Association has had to make the tough decision that we feel it best to "pull the plug" on the Firehouse competition for this year.

I personally find it rather unpleasant to be wearing some egg on my face at this particular moment - especially when things were looking pretty good only 2 weeks ago. But through a series of unfortunate and unforeseen events involving some of the teams involved as well as a couple of the sponsors, we feel the best thing for all parties at this time is to cancel the event. Having competed and won a competition myself that the UBBQA helped promote a little over a year ago down in Salt Lake City that turned into a disaster financially (I am still owed $1500 from that fiasco), and as secretary/treasurer of the IMBBQA, I have been keeping a very close pulse on our contest to insure that our Association would never repeat the experience that I and other cooks encountered last year. And while our Board members have worked feverishly to hold things together in light of the situations that began to take place over the past 7-10 days now, we have had to come to the collective decision that a little egg on our faces right now is much better than irreversibly damaging relationships and reputations. And so that no one worries, all registration fees from teams and sponsor money received to date will be refunded.  Smile

Again, on behalf of our Board, my most sincere apologies that our event has "collapsed" here with only a week to go. But we feel this is the best things for all parties at this time. The site for the Firehouse Cook-Off is beautiful & a great one, the city of Holladay has been wonderful to work with, and we definitely WILL be back with this event next year - bigger and better than ever, too!!
Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Knight
Secretary/Treasurer

If any of you have signed up for this, you may want to contact them.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2010 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Re: Firehouse BBQ Cook-Off Cancelled
Hoochie-Que Wrote:Dear Fellow BBQ'ers...

It is never "fun" being the one who has to come bearing "bad tidings"... But here, at the "11th hour", we are finding ourselves with some of the "wheels falling off our bus" in regards to the Firehouse BBQ competition scheduled for next weekend... And despite some last minute and hectic "heroics" over the past several days to salvage a competition of some sort for next weekend, the Board of the Intermountain Barbecue Association has had to make the tough decision that we feel it best to "pull the plug" on the Firehouse competition for this year.

I'm truly sorry to hear that!

Hoochie-Que Wrote:I personally find it rather unpleasant to be wearing some egg on my face at this particular moment - especially when things were looking pretty good only 2 weeks ago. But through a series of unfortunate and unforeseen events involving some of the teams involved as well as a couple of the sponsors, we feel the best thing for all parties at this time is to cancel the event.

Having competed and won a competition myself that the UBBQA helped promote a little over a year ago down in Salt Lake City that turned into a disaster financially (I am still owed $1500 from that fiasco), and as secretary/treasurer of the IMBBQA, I have been keeping a very close pulse on our contest to insure that our Association would never repeat the experience that I and other cooks encountered last year. And while our Board members have worked feverishly to hold things together in light of the situations that began to take place over the past 7-10 days now, we have had to come to the collective decision that a little egg on our faces right now is much better than irreversibly damaging relationships and reputations. And so that no one worries, all registration fees from teams and sponsor money received to date will be refunded.  Smile

The other people still owed money from that event include:
Dragon Smoke (Managing Member)
FrankenSwine & EzzyGore (Managing Members)
Big Pig Parade
Smokin Hot Sistahs (Managing Member)
Utah Smoke (Managing Member)
Hi-I-Que
Team M.O.A.B (Managing Member)
Miss Kitty's Outlaw BBQ
Casual Smokers
HQ O (Managing Member)
Tumbleweed BBQ (Managing Member)
BBQ Haven

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2822">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2822</a><!-- l -->

There was $5,000 that went unpaid at that contest run by the Brinkerhoff's, the event was promoted on our website, it was not run by the Utah BBQ Association, it was supervised by the KCBS, not the UBBQA, but we do have their acknowledgment, (the Brinkerhoff's), that they owe the debt, and who knows, some day we might live long enough to get paid.

The suggestion that the event was run or miss run by the Utah BBQ Association seems a little too much to swallow, at least your win in that competition took you to the Jack, so you did get some benefit or gain out of the whole thing.

Since that event June 09 the Utah BBQ Association has sanctioned 4 events with the KCBS, this would not have been allowed to happen if the Association was in any way responsible for the debacle at the Wild West BBQ Competition, even when Association events have been for the entry fees only, all the winning teams got paid, and the prize monies and the breakdowns of those prize payouts have been available to all taking part.

Apparently rumors were being spread in Mesquite, that there were problems even after the Fire Water & Ice, that the paper work that enabled Tippy Canoe BBQ Crew to go to the Jack, was not sent in in a timely manner, one of the two KCBS Representatives at the contest delivered the paper work the day after the contest, perhaps the rumor mongers need to employ a 'fact checker' to keep their lies at least partially in line with reality.

If anyone wants to read the whole thing please ask, and I'll be happy to dig out all the old threads and we can rehash the whole thing one more time, PM me or email me I can bring up the threads and place them all out in the open so that any interested parties can read them without having to actually search the forums for them. If fact I'll probably concentrate all those threads pertaining to the Wild West contest in one forum, just to make it simpler for everyone to read and draw their own conclusions, look for a Wild West section in the next couple of days.

Hoochie-Que Wrote:Again, on behalf of our Board, my most sincere apologies that our event has "collapsed" here with only a week to go. But we feel this is the best things for all parties at this time. The site for the Firehouse Cook-Off is beautiful & a great one, the city of Holladay has been wonderful to work with, and we definitely WILL be back with this event next year - bigger and better than ever, too!!
Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Knight
Secretary/Treasurer

The cook off for the Hog Happening in pleasant grove was more to be able to feed the crowd and be able to socialize with some newer teams, than for the prize money...as there was none, but I wonder if more teams would take part if we even did it for a split of the entry fees, I understand that the highfalutin globe trotting teams wouldn't turn out for just the entry money and a possible trip to the Jack, but I know quite a few teams from Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Texas and Iowa that did!

[edited 3 times]

This has been posted on the IMBBQA board too, don't let it be said that anyone is not able to make a public reply, as there are currently two places with this posted, and comments can be put on either one or neither one, that will be the readers choice!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-12-2010 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The above post was removed from the IMBBQA web site Monday 13th September, and thanks to Hoochie-Que it has now been put back as of 9:55 Tuesday 14th September.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
09-13-2010 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

There was another post that was removed as well.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-14-2010 07:23 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Flexo Wrote:There was another post that was removed as well.

Here is a copy of the other post.

Quote:I'm sorry to hear that your event has been cancelled. I know how much work goes into organizing and running one of these competitions, and its never fun when circumstances get in the way.

I have to take issue, however, with the statement that was made about the UTBBQA "fiasco" contest.

First, I don't see how it is in anyway relevant to your having to cancel your contest.

Second, it mis-states the facts and seems to be geared towards promoting doubt about the other Association and their honesty in running contests. I happen to know for a fact that in events for which UTBBQA collects the entry fees and prize monies, an escrow account is established for those funds and a full accounting of the funds is available to the organizer, sanctioning organization, or promoter. UTBBQ has NEVER defaulted on payment of prize monies for which it had responsibility.

I also am personally aware of other "mis-information" which has been spread about the other Association that has no other purpose than to attempt to discredit them and their ability to organize, promote and run contests. Shame on you! If you have facts that can be presented and backed up to support your claims, then by all means do so in a documented fashion, face to face with those who you are trying to slander, but this spreading of rumors and flat out lies does not reflect well on your organization and the values you are trying to promote.

Again, my sincere condolences on having to cancel your competition. I hope things work out better at a later date.

This post has also been returned to the IMBBQA board, thanks to Hoochie-Que!

09-14-2010 07:35 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Roger Livingston to me in an email 8:06 this Morning.

Quote:Why don't you use your real name like you do on other sites? And use you own site for starting dumping about Thom Emery. If your such the man you say you are. I will put it on our site if that is what to want

Because when I attempted to register, I couldn't do so, there was a technical hiccup that meant my registration on your site was never completed and the last name I remembered registering with, when I was asked by Rod was the "Junior" name, Patio Daddio then activated the account, (and explained that there had not been a policy of exclusion in place), and I was then and only then, able to post on your site.

As for dumping on Thom Emory, I didn't, but I did lay out that those "facts" stated by someone while at the Mesquite contest were incorrect and that the person concerned might need to check their facts, before they make a serious mistake.

Quote:Mike said you promoted not ran it!
You are the nastiest person I know

Correct Mike did say that it was promoted by the Utah BBQ Association, but if you think that sentence doesn't imply some responsibility in Hoochie's eyes to the rest of the world, then you could well be mistaken in your reading of it, ask someone who doesn't have as much of a clue as you do about all that has gone on to read Hoochie's post, and then ask them what they feel Utah BBQ Association's role was in the Wild West Debacle 09, and I think you'll find the person will read it as I did. As for being the nastiest person you know... you must have a very small circle of people you know then!

Quote:You are a trouble maker. Work on your cooking and maybe you would enjoy the sport and fellowship of BBQ. I proved my point that all you wanted was to start trouble about the entry forms

I'm really sorry for you, that there are some folks in the world that wont just bend beneath the mighty winds of your words of wisdom, I'm sorry I won't just allow the pot to be stirred by the other side of this argument and not make a response, I don't work well with threats and bullying, perhaps you think I do, but yet again you are mistaken. Starting trouble with the entry forms, a post was made on this site by Cyclops inviting one and all to the Firehouse competition, I tried to get in, but I was still blocked because of the technical difficulties mentioned above, so I did my best to inform Cyclops and any others who read our board as members or guests, that the situation needed to be resolved, and that if it wasn't then I would inform the relevant authorities of the situation.

I then left to go to the competition in Craig CO, I had no access to the site or to email while I traveled, the next day you offered me entry forms at the Craig Competition and I gratefully accepted printed copies that you brought with you, I also explained to you at that time, why I had responded with the post the way I did, you don't see any side but your own, and re-explaining it now will not change your mind, so even though I had every intention of going to the Firehouse competition, you then chose to push and bully and attempt to run my life the way you think it should be run for your convenience, well that never works!

As to working on my cooking, that's always good advise, I cooked last weekend with competitors old and new, I cooked for a charity do at the same time, I'll cook for a charity do this weekend and a contest the weekend after and then another charity do the weekend after that and I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy the true sport & fellowship of the world of BBQ at all of them.

Quote:Get a life!! Copy this and put it on your site for me! Since you have blocked all of us you speak out of both sides of your mouth!

Sent from my iPhone

Got a life... thanks for checking, and here is a copy of your words on our site, and as for being blocked, this is a privately run and owned forum, you are not blocked from reading, just from posting, so I have helped you out by publishing your words here as a favor to you and to the rest of the BBQ world!

09-14-2010 09:13 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I have been biting my tongue for a few months now, staying neutral and supporting both organizations. But you ALL are acting like a bunch of fricken school kids! And by doing so, you are hurting your own organizations. How do you think that post looks to all the members on both sides, and all the other BBQ cooks in other states??? They are sitting back, thinking WTF??? " look at all the little whiners over in Utah, I aint cooking those contests, could be fights in the streets!" I have been active on this site, and started cooking Utah contest since 2005. And there has always been negativity , or turmoil present with in the org. Im telling ya right now, Its gonna drive people away, and or keep them away.

So he's some advise, take it or tell me to pound sand and ban me! Suck up your pride, dont take every thing you hear personally, and get you damn egos checked!!
Its getting pretty sad, when grown men act like little babies.

my $1.50 for what it worth :x

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-14-2010 10:11 AM
Cyclops Offline

As a member of both the UBBQA and the IMBBQA, I am requesting that all of this thread be removed immediately! It is reflecting very poorly on BOTH organizations. Personal "vendettas" have no place on an open access membership based forum. Sophomoric name calling as well as posting such on the forum lends credence to many of the members position that both organizations are being controlled by petulent children!

Life Is A Team Sport
09-14-2010 10:29 AM
ThomEmery Offline

Folks
I have no dog in this fight
One person told me the Utah Jack Qualifier's paper work did not get taken care of
I shared what would later prove to be incorrect information with ONLY one per who identified themselves as part of the Utah Association
My only reason for doing so was as a word of caution

It is very difficult to get BBQ started in new areas (as you all know)
Once it catches the sport grows at a unbelievable pace, like it is now in other parts of the West
I would think the Beehive would be fertile ground with your continued good efforts

Thank you for all you do for our sport
09-14-2010 04:14 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

ThomEmery Wrote:Folks
I have no dog in this fight
One person told me the Utah Jack Qualifier's paper work did not get taken care of
I shared what would later prove to be incorrect information with ONLY one per who identified themselves as part of the Utah Association
My only reason for doing so was as a word of caution

It is very difficult to get BBQ started in new areas (as you all know)
Once it catches the sport grows at a unbelievable pace, like it is now in other parts of the West
I would think the Beehive would be fertile ground with your continued good efforts

Thank you for all you do for our sport

Thanks for the clarification Thom!

09-14-2010 08:15 PM
ThomEmery Offline

You are most welcome
09-14-2010 09:01 PM
Gumbo Offline

PackerBacker Wrote:But you ALL are acting like a bunch of fricken school kids! And by doing so, you are hurting your own organizations.

No kidding.
09-21-2010 12:12 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for your comment Gumbo... it's good to see you point it out to the other forum as well...perhaps I missed your post where you agreed with PackerBacker over there!

09-21-2010 01:14 PM
Gumbo Offline

Dude, seriously. If your goal is to run everybody off the forum, you're on the right track.
09-21-2010 02:16 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Gumbo Wrote:Dude, seriously.

It's just a funny childish comment!

It may be a funny or serious observation, but it's only a funny childish comment!

Don't worry about it, rise above it, like the adult you are. :wink:

09-21-2010 03:28 PM
BBQMAN Offline

From a newcomer and outsider looking in so to speak:

The original thread started out with an acknowledgement of "egg on face" for bailing last munute on a scheduled event.

It then APPEARS that a personal vendetta (allegation of money owned for impropriety) was used to deflect the blame from the actual original post.

Why?

State your case for bailing on the event, and leave it at that.

I'll also give you guys some nuggets of wisdom:

I can't imagine a (relatively) small area of BBQ enthusiasts needs more than one association. Seems counter productive to me in a lot of aspects.

FBA does a great job here. We don't need another association.

MIM split from MBN, and the 2008 event was truly a debacle of epic proportions ( I was there, and saw it first hand). I stated my case and actually got a call from the events Vice President regarding my experience there.

I believe that those responsible for the mistakes are no longer in leadership positions at MIM.

Moral of the story (and why I love history): Those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them.

As a footnote: I enjoyed the event a FW&I in August. It was well run, the people were great, and the scenery was outstanding.
09-30-2010 07:06 AM