6th Lion of the Sun

Pork
1st Papa Boka
2nd Robs Ribs
3rd Big Reds
4th Tubby's
5th Frankenswine & Ezzygore
6th Lion of the Sun

We had a great time cooking with some new people this weekend. They did a great job and I am glad they came out to play. I hope to see them at future competitions. We had about a thousand pounds of meat to cook between 6 teams. Thanks to everyone for pitching in and getting it done. We had to do some creative shuffling of ribs, but it all worked out in the end. Thanks to the judges that came out to judge, we couldn't have done it without you!!! All in all it was very fun and hope to see everyone at the next one!!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
09-11-2010 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Papa Boka Offline

Re: Hog Heaven results
For the record, I don't ever remember being more tired. Up at 3:00 AM cooking, and then carefully watching my little smoker for the next 12 hours. Great group of people showed up. Frankenswine & Ezzygore shared a much-needed canopy with us and the best BBQ chicken I have ever tasted. Looking forward to someday getting some of that Chili Verde.

Everyone was more than happy to share info., and teach us the ropes of competition/good cooking. Learned a ton from you guys and had a great time doing it. Can't imagine hanging out with a better group of folks. Nice to have a new BBQ-loving family in Utah.

Best,

--Papa Boka (pronounced Bahka; the "o" is a long "a"). :wink:
09-12-2010 10:32 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Frankenswine & Ezzygore had a great time too.

Flexo calling up the 2nd place for ribs
[Image: DSCN1275.JPG]

Papa Boka and Becca claim their prize.
[Image: DSCN1276.JPG]

"Did we really just win something"?
[Image: DSCN1277.JPG]

1st place ribs goes to Big Reds ...(I didn't check to see what name you actually competed under, if it wasn't Big Reds let me know what name you want on the pictures)!
[Image: DSCN1278.JPG]

2nd place Pork shoulder / butt goes to Rods Ribs
[Image: DSCN1279.JPG]

1st place Pork shoulder / butt Papa Boka (moving so fast my camera only captured Becca on her way off the stage)! :shock:
[Image: DSCN1280.JPG]

Reserve Grand Champion Papa Boka
[Image: DSCN1281.JPG]

6th annual Hog Heaven Grand Champion, with all award winning bragging rights for the next 12 months, Big Reds!
[Image: DSCN1282.JPG]

Flexo thanking the Kiwanis Club, the judges Jeff & Marie Waldvogel, Gary and Dana Grant, Tiana and Kelly Perry for judging, and Roger Perry for Running the judging for us.
[Image: DSCN1283.JPG]

I'd also like to add my thanks to all those that took part and helped out, the Kiwanis club for hosting the event, and to Lee Edwards for pulling out all the stops and getting whatever was actually needed to make the event a success from the BBQ side, Dan, Chris and Chuck (Tubby's Smokin' Q), Jamie Lucchessi (Lion of the Sun BBQ), Rod (Rods Ribs), Dave (Papa Boka), Randy Hall and friends (Big Red), I'd like to personally thank the judges and Roger for making the judging side possible at short notice, and for helping out with the scoring, thanks too to Dan and Chris without whom the scoring wouldn't have been as much fun as it was, and last but not least to Doug, (Frankenswine), for making it a fun and enjoyable event all the way round...sorry we didn't get long enough for a game of cribbage!
:wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-12-2010 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aaronbarker Offline

I'm one of the Big Reds crew. We were 5 friends who have only ever cooked in our back yards. We thought it would be fun to get together and have a guys day out. As Flexo had said in other threads, there was really no excuse to not do it (no entry fee, free meat, pros to help out).

We had a lot of fun, and learned lots from each other as well as the others there.

We cooked on 6 Ugly Drum Smokers. One 30 gallon, four 55 gallon and one 85 gallon
[Image: 58338_428735947806_610377806_5192505_5570165_n.jpg]

We felt pretty overwhelmed cooking everything for the competition and the public. But all went well in the end. It was nice to get some scores on the food that our friends and family always say they like so much. It's nice to get some validation from some real judges.

We apparently have a ways to go with our pork, but the ribs seemed to do well, so now we just need to make sure not to mess that up.

Not sure if/when we will get out again since it was more just hanging out for us. But maybe we will get the itch to do it again sometime. If our wives let us of course Wink

Thanks again to the event organizers and the other participants. It was great fun hanging out and getting to talk with you all.
09-12-2010 03:01 PM
BigRed Offline

Thanks for posting pics. Since my wife missed the awards she was happy to see the pics. Yes, we competed under the name of Big Red's. We had such a great time, and really enjoyed being there. Thanks so much to everyone for the help, encouragement, laughs, and good competition. We learned a lot and are excited to see if we can compete again some time soon in the future. It's good be be around a group of good people who welcome the newbies and can have a good time. Thanks again.

KCBS Certified Barbeque Judge
09-12-2010 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

Congrats to all who finished this one. That's a lot of food to cook for six teams :o . Wish we could have been to this one, but sometimes work gets in the way of what you're supposed to be doing. :roll: Some of the best times we've had doing this crazy thing called BBQ have been at this event. What a wonderful town full of great people.

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
09-12-2010 03:05 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Congrats to all of you! Sounded like a great event!! Hats off to all that made it possible . Hope to meet you new teams in 2011.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
09-12-2010 03:44 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Awesome Job Guys! BBQing for charity is always an awesome thing. Sorry I can't make it down to these. It is a bad weekend for me. I sell BBQ at Peach Days in Brigham City.
It was great to seen some new guys get out and get involved. Congratulations on the awards! Hope to see you at upcoming events.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
09-12-2010 08:37 PM
aaronbarker Offline

I also wanted to give some full disclosure on behalf of the pros that attended Hog Heaven. I don't think any of the pros actually made any competition level stuff to submit. They were gracious enough to throw some of their mass produced charity event meat in a box so that we would have 6 entries for the judges to judge. We appreciate them taking a hit to their team names by being at the bottom of the results list to allow us newbies a chance to get some experience. We know they will have smokers blazing with mad skills in any other meeting. Thanks guys!
09-13-2010 09:45 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

There may have been a little of that but really not much, Doug and I cooked four butts and four racks of ribs for the competition, we kept them separate and paid attention to them, the 2 butts that I did were not up to pulling temperature by turn in times, as I didn't get them on while dealing with everything else, on the ribs we had 4 different flavors, Papa Boka and Becca got to taste them all, we turned in the ones we thought gave us the best shot, as you can see we did better with a 3rd on our ribs, than we did with our 5th in pork.

I one area that I willing put our hands up to not doing as well as we could have was on garnishing the boxes, as somewhat experienced teams and judges we are aware how much that experience could benefit the teams that had done it a time or 20, so Doug and I chose not to use the parsley that we had, and to turn in bare boxes with just the meat, I think I heard that 4 teams turned in that way, and 2 used garnish. Let me add that Doug and I cooked over 400 lbs of meat and helped prepare another 60 - 70 lbs of ribs or so, and neither he or I had the energy or patience to do garnish, and that's the real reason we didn't do it! Tongue

All that said if you take off the appearance scores, the judges still liked the other entries better, so don't go putting any accomplishments down, we all turned in under the same rules, and the winners were the winners in name and by right.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-13-2010 10:30 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, Congrats to the winners, and it was for a great cause. Thanks to all for what you do in the name of BBQ. Great pics!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
09-13-2010 11:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hog Heaven Pleasant Grove Sept 10-11 Registrations Flexo 27 4,885 09-10-2010 10:10 AM
Last Post: Frankenswine
  Judges for Hog Heaven Flexo 2 644 09-09-2010 02:56 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Pleasant Grove Kiwanis Hog Heaven Cook off Results SoEzzy 10 1,840 09-14-2009 12:31 PM
Last Post: T