Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MSG
BBQSki Offline

MSG
Alright, I admit it. I like MSG.

Does anybody have a suggestion or guideline about its addition to a rub recipe? For example, several rub recipes call for a 1/2 cup of salt. Do you add MSG in addition to the 1/2 cup, or do you reduce the salt and add MSG? Is there a proportion of salt to MSG that works best?

Thanks 'o wise ones!
02-06-2008 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: MSG
I googled up a few comments on the stuff and all were negative. But that being said, there are positive and negative remarks to everything these days. Personally, I won't use anything that has MSG in it. What ever rocks your boat as some folks say, well, they used to several years ago.
Gene
02-07-2008 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="7644 Wrote:I googled up a few comments on the stuff and all were negative. But that being said, there are positive and negative remarks to everything these days. Personally, I won't use anything that has MSG in it. What ever rocks your boat as some folks say, well, they used to several years ago.
Gene

I do believe the phrase is "What ever floats your boat" :wink:

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-07-2008 03:10 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Right o. What ever rocks your cradle, is the one I should have stated.
02-07-2008 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Gene -

Take a little pity here... I don't think they have a very wide selection of radio stations or music types in Idaho... Most of them I have heard feature mostly old heavy metal groups... Twisted Sister, Uriah Heep, Bloodrock, Black Sabbath, etc... Not a lot of pop music, even to this day... Make a trip to the north, and as soon as you are within ear-shot of a Malad radio station, that is still all you will hear even today.... I understand they are even thinking of making Dee Snider the next governor of Idaho (http://www.deesnider.com)...

Back in the 70's when you and I were still cool young studs - and PackerHead was still running around with a binky - there was a music group called the Hues Corporation... Had a big pop hit called "Rock the Boat"... Here are the opening lyrics:

So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

to rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat-t-t-t-t

So you weren't off track with your comment, Gene... I think it is a "generational" and/or geographical thing... :wink:

Dr. Mike
02-07-2008 08:14 PM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hoochie-Que;p="7647 Wrote:Gene -

Take a little pity here... I don't think they have a very wide selection of radio stations or music types in Idaho... Most of them I have heard feature mostly old heavy metal groups... Twisted Sister, Uriah Heep, Bloodrock, Black Sabbath, etc... Not a lot of pop music, even to this day... Make a trip to the north, and as soon as you are within ear-shot of a Malad radio station, that is still all you will hear even today.... I understand they are even thinking of making Dee Snider the next governor of Idaho (http://www.deesnider.com)...

Back in the 70's when you and I were still cool young studs - and PackerHead was still running around with a binky - there was a music group called the Hues Corporation... Had a big pop hit called "Rock the Boat"... Here are the opening lyrics:

So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

to rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat-t-t-t-t

So you weren't off track with your comment, Gene... I think it is a "generational" and/or geographical thing... :wink:

Dr. Mike

Well I would say Mike you dont have your antenna pointed in the right direction, Idaho has a great classic rock station 107.1 KHITS, and no I did not have a Binky in my mouth in the 70's. In fact, in 77 or 78 was my first beer and smoke 8) And as far as the song goes, Bob Marley was also one who did it. not very well I might say

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-07-2008 08:37 PM
Cyclops Offline

Now, I don't care who you are, that's funny there! Mike, not only do I remember and know that song, I also liked it! Damn, we are getting old.
And Packerbacker, someone should have "whupped up" on your Momma and Daddy for letting a six year old kid smoke and drink like that. :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
02-08-2008 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Oh, the body for certain ain't what it used to be... But my mind (and dreams) still "vision" me as some 20+ year old... No big problems though, I guess, until the mind says one thing - and the body says another!!

Dave, take the "binky" comment as a compliment... Good news is that means you ain't ready for the "Old Coot Club" like me and perhaps a few others heading that way... :wink: And I guess the Bob Marley version of the song must have not made it to the "discos" in West Texas when I was that "young stud", cruisin' for chicks with my platform shoes on and the puka shells around my neck... :lol:

Dr. Mike
02-08-2008 11:50 AM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

No problem Hoochie, we didnt have the $$ for binky's, had to use the standard issued thumb!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-08-2008 12:48 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Mike, I do recall that tune now that you mention it. 8)
That little whipper snapper Packer Backer. Still wet behind the ears I'm thinkin'. He'll savy up in a few years I'd dare say. Good cook & a good friend at that. Smile
02-08-2008 12:54 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

In order to stay out of this one, I won't mention what music I grew up listening to...

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
02-08-2008 03:47 PM
Cyclops Offline

OK You started it! What kind of music? :roll:

Life Is A Team Sport
02-08-2008 07:15 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Hey stop making fun of us youngsters. It's not are fault that the best generation wasn't born until the 70's. God had to get rid of all the weirdos in heaven first. Then he sent the rest of us.

As for MSG I would hope your food taste good enough without a flavor enhancer. :evil:
02-08-2008 07:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

So there's no MSG fans out there, eh? Sazon Goya? Chinese food lovers? Come on, its good stuff, somebody's got to using it? Big Grin

Any closet phosphate or nitrate users? ("Users" -- Its sounds like I'm talking about addicts or something.)
02-08-2008 10:38 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Let me just say that if Hoochie can look back and make fun of his disco gear, I can look back and laugh at the decade that I grew up in.... Oh I miss the 80's. Parachute pants, bandana's, neon colors and jelly bracelts. Big hair, skate boards, walkmans and boomboxes. Breakdancin' i can't beleive that we did that and thought it was cool. I will admit that I was a Michael Jackson fan in the 80's. I don't claim that anymore, he is a weirdo now.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
02-09-2008 01:56 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

no1plumber;p="7666 Wrote:Hey stop making fun of us youngsters. It's not are fault that the best generation wasn't born until the 70's. God had to get rid of all the weirdos in heaven first. Then he sent the rest of us.

As for MSG I would hope your food taste good enough without a flavor enhancer. :evil:

Good point there #1 Plumber, I can't believe that there were disco's in West Texas :shock: Now there is a place to get the living crap kicked out of you if you have a white belt and bell bottoms on, sounds kinda ugly to me, Hoochie must have been one BAD ASS in his day 8) Hey maybe thats why he is a Dentist today! Tongue

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-09-2008 09:33 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well now, this original post has certainly strayed from MSG hasn't it? Good, cuz in this mans opinion it ain't no good. Sure it's still made, Accent, by name for one, and a lot of other seasonings throw it in also. But I won't use it and I do read labels.
That being said let's get back to the Honky Tonk (disco). I suppose there were those glass ball thingys' spinning around Big "D" and some other college towns, but for me when I was down that-a-way in the 70's & early 80's it was Asleep at the Wheel, Bob Wills, and Waylon & Willie. BTW, Bob Wills is STILL the King. Ain't that so, Hoochie?
Infamous Dave, partner, friend, other half of SBBBQ, Michael Jackson? :shock: say it ain't so :!:
02-10-2008 09:23 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

I like Linkin Park ... I hear this music you are all talking about ... when I was a little, my mom used to play it on the oldies station. Now, I find myself actually listening to it ... by choice ...

hmmmmm...

As to MSG:
I remember when I was a kid and we would go to my cousin's house and they would put MSG on their buttered popcorn. they had it in a little shaker. Quite strange looking back on it now. Now that I think about it ... the entire experience was strange. After the popcorn, we would turn out all the lights and hide, while my uncle tried to chase us with a set of my aunt's nylons on his head ... hmmmm ... I need to call my counselor.
02-10-2008 11:41 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Like I said, M Jackson was popular when I was in Jr High. He is a freak now. Him and Britney Spears (who I was never a fan of) should share a room together in a Nut House Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
02-10-2008 05:08 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Tour de Que,
If the counsler can't help you....
Maybe M Jackson and Britney would let you share a room with them Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
02-10-2008 09:54 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I don't care what the rest of you think... Britney, smeared in some sweet Q sauce would be some "good eats" I tell you what...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
02-11-2008 11:18 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sampson? After that statement, I am guess'n you are on the road again and far, far from home Tongue Hey? Keep both hands on the wheel Tongue

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-11-2008 11:33 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ya, what Packer Backer said. Besides, you are one demented puppy Sampson.
02-11-2008 11:40 AM