Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
School Fall Carnival Fund Raiser Oct 8th
Three4Que Offline

School Fall Carnival Fund Raiser Oct 8th
Grretings everyone! I was asked by my son's school to see if anyone from the Utah BBQ association could help with their Fall Carnival. This is their Fall fundraiser they are using to make money for a marquee for the school. They were looking at having pulled pork sandwiches. It is on October 8th from 3-7pm at the Syracuse Arts Academy. Located on Antelope west of I-15 in Syracuse.

It is a charter school that would prefer to have things donated. I think they are looking at around 500+ people showing up but won't need any sides. The group in charge, at least those that will be there, don't have a food handlers permit. Neither do I. Whoever would like to cook for this and serve let me know or I can put you in charge of the POC. I can help cook or do grunt work, even clean-up. Just wouldn't be able to serve the BBQ.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
09-11-2010 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Re: School Fall Carnival Fund Raiser Oct 8th
Doug, sorry if this sounds harsh but I'm not sure they are being real here. 500+ people and they want it all donated for a school fundraiser? I might be willing to help cook it IF they could come up with the meat being donated and a few others were able to help out also. As far as the food handlers permit, if they are trying to be full blown legal, it will take a lot more than that. You'll need someone who's got a food managers permit that will be onsite, etc, etc... Usually though if it's a fundraiser for a nonprofit, you can get away with a lot by not bringing in a pro and having the staff there just cook like it's a big potluck or something.

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
09-16-2010 10:54 PM
Three4Que Offline

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. There estimates are high I believe too. Was asked by the Ex, who is on the committee for that, if I could get the BBQ guys to come and cook. She was wanting pulled pork more than hot dogs.

Thanks for your response, at least I know you were thinking of this. Take care my friend.

09-17-2010 01:12 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Waving a hand... I thought about it too! Tongue

But I don't have a FHP and I have no intention of getting one, so I did not throw my 2 cents on the pile.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-17-2010 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

In Box Elder and Cache counties, the HD has told me the same requirements apply for a fund raiser as if you were vending. They require permits, food handlers permits, HD inspections ect. They said this is required anytime food is sold to the public, even if it is just a fund raiser. I am not sure what your county requires because a lot of them are different. I would check with them first to avoid any trouble.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
09-17-2010 10:46 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

sampson Wrote:Doug, sorry if this sounds harsh but I'm not sure they are being real here. 500+ people and they want it all donated for a school fundraiser? I might be willing to help cook it IF they could come up with the meat being donated and a few others were able to help out also. As far as the food handlers permit, if they are trying to be full blown legal, it will take a lot more than that. You'll need someone who's got a food managers permit that will be onsite, etc, etc... Usually though if it's a fundraiser for a nonprofit, you can get away with a lot by not bringing in a pro and having the staff there just cook like it's a big potluck or something.

Doug, Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to discourage this, I am definitely not, but I have to agree with Sampson. It is a GREAT thing that folks want us involved. We have a lot of GREAT and dedicated members, but they are also just volunteers and a lot of this kind of stuff comes out of their pockets. I kind agree that asking the UTBBQA to donate approximately 240 lbs of pork and cook it is asking a lot. Pork butts at Wal-mart yesterday were about $1.89 per pound. Thats $453 just in meat cost alone, then sauce, rubs, fuel, ect. Thats a lot of money coming out of our members pockets and money is tight everywhere. Most of our fundraisers we are involved in have the food donated and then we just have to prepare it. Then finding someone to cook all day Friday might be hard also because it is a work day for most folks, as it is for me.

All of this is just my own personal opinion, but maybe if they could get some help with meat donations, you might be able to get more volunteers to help out.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
09-19-2010 11:06 AM
Three4Que Offline

Thanks again to Chris, Doug and Mike for the comments and responses. They are appreciated. I didn't think it would be feasible but since the School Board knew I was into BBQ, mainly fom the promptings/encouragement of the Ex-wife, they asked if I would at least check w/ the group. If it wasn't for the FHP, and knowing I'd get mobbed by the masses, in a moment of insanity, I actually thought about trying it on my own. Thank goodness, it was a moment that lasted all of 10 seconds.

I'd like to vend/cater one of these days, but would rather compete in Comps. Hopefully next year will be better for me. Take care my friends. Maybe I'll see you around one of these days.

09-22-2010 11:08 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Like the others if they can find people to donate the meat they are a school and could buy it from there food supplier. Last time I bought it was about 1.40 a lb. but that was several weeks ago. Then there is buns. I'd use paper wrappers. Davis county isn't to hard to work with from my understanding. I have a Food Managers cert, and an establishment permit, along with an ez-up style vending set up, makes it a little easer to get around a few of the hoops. Usualy if I'm giving my time and pit space they will need to get the permits. Not supper expensive, less than $50 I think. If there where one or two others that might be willing to help with some rubs and time in the serving line we might be able to help serve we might be able to work it out.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
09-23-2010 10:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

Thanks everyone. They have decided on... *bleh* hot dogs, *bleh*

I'll have to take a brat in instead.

10-04-2010 10:38 PM