Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cedar City Utah Backyard Barbecue Contest Oct 29, 2010
tsawyer148 Offline

Cedar City Utah Backyard Barbecue Contest Oct 29, 2010
The Cedar City Livestock and Heritage Festival has asked if we would be willing to hold a Backyard Barbecue Contest in conjunction with the festival. The people in charge have been EXTREMELY receptive to the idea and are excited to see this happen. There are still some items to be worked out but the event will take place at the Cross Hollows Indoor Arena at the Cross Hollows Event Center. The contest is open to any and all who wish to participate. There will be two meat categories, Chicken and Pork Ribs and the meat will be provided. There is no entry fee to cook. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in each category as well as overall Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion. There will also be a people's choice with prizes given to the top finishers in each category. Number of entries may be limited but that has yet to be determined. The event center has water and limited power available.

The organizers are anticipating that if this years event goes well it will work into a much bigger event next year.

The Livestock and Heritage Festival will also include a Dutch Oven Contest on October 30 so come on out for the Barbecue and stay for the Dutch Oven. The festival will also include a parade, tractor pull and stock dog demo as well as a concert by Don Edwards.

For more information about the BBQ contest, check our website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq">http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq</a><!-- m --> or E-mail <!-- e --><a href="mailto:bbq@miners-peak.com">bbq@miners-peak.com</a><!-- e --> or call 435-531-1142. The website will be updated as more information is available so please check often.

For more information about the Livestock and Heritage Festival: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cedarlivestockfest.com/">http://www.cedarlivestockfest.com/</a><!-- m -->

For more information about the Dutch Oven Contest: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cedarlivestockfest.com/events/dutchoven">http://www.cedarlivestockfest.com/events/dutchoven</a><!-- m --> or call 435-559-1561.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-08-2010 10:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Cedar City Utah Backyard Barbecue Contest Oct 29, 2010
If I was around I'd go just to hear Don sing. Love that old timey cowboy music!
Great stuff.
What ever happened to Randolph Scott, Gene & Tex & Roy & Rex? Sad

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
09-09-2010 06:11 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

As there is a peoples choice, will each team need a current Food Handlers Permit for Iron County, or is there going to be a blanket coverage provided by the organizers? Here are the rules as I can find them, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.swuhealth.org/environmental-health/programs/food-services">http://www.swuhealth.org/environmental- ... d-services</a><!-- m --> they read as if Food Safety Permits will be required.

If a Food Handlers permit is needed by each team, will it be possible to organize additional hand washing set ups, etc?

What sort of numbers of racks of ribs and chicken pieces are needed to be cooked for the peoples choice? Some folks may not have the capacity for large number of racks and chicken too!

The number of places may be restricted, is there room for RV's and trailers near or next to the cooking area?

Are there any reasonably priced hotels / motels in the area?

Looking forward to possibly doing this one to round out the end of the BBQ competition year!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-13-2010 01:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tsawyer148 Offline

Hey Chris,

Let me start by saying that the information below is as accurate as possible at the moment. I needed to get as much info together as soon as I could so that it could go out with the media packets and such. It is subject to change, but any changes will be minimal and should not cause alot of difficulty.

SoEzzy Wrote:As there is a peoples choice, will each team need a current Food Handlers Permit for Iron County, or is there going to be a blanket coverage provided by the organizers? Here are the rules as I can find them, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.swuhealth.org/environmental-health/programs/food-services">http://www.swuhealth.org/environmental- ... d-services</a><!-- m --> they read as if Food Safety Permits will be required.
We should be able to get this taken care of under a blanket provision. As is shown on the event website, etc., (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq">http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq</a><!-- m -->), there is a Dutch Oven contest the following day and they have alot of these things in place. There is a Prime Vendor listed and the organizers have things in place to hopefully cover this. I have a meeting either tonight or tomorrow with the organizers as I want to make sure this is ironed out right from the get go so there are no surprises.

SoEzzy Wrote:If a Food Handlers permit is needed by each team, will it be possible to organize additional hand washing set ups, etc?
The plan is to have sanitary set-ups there for the cooks. We are trying to make this as easy as possible for people to compete without having to worry about the ancilliary items. If you have your own set-up, by all means bring it. If not, we are working toward having that provided.

SoEzzy Wrote:What sort of numbers of racks of ribs and chicken pieces are needed to be cooked for the peoples choice? Some folks may not have the capacity for large number of racks and chicken too!
That's a damn good question. The reason for the people's choice is that the organizers have "highly encouraged" us to have the event follow the same format as the Dutch Oven contest as closely as possible. Since this is the first year for the BBQ contest, they want to see how it is received yet make sure there are very few surprises for the people in charge and for the public at large. The Dutch Oven people are asked to keep the portion sizes to that of about a quarter. I will need some wisdom and guidance on this as I am not sure how many of each type of meat it will take to cut small enough portions for people to get a taste. The bright spot in this is that they are limiting the number of $5.00 tasting packets for the BBQ to 100 people, (they are selling 300 for the dutch oven), AND, we get to keep almost all of the money to go towards prizes. Chris, I'll send you a PM with a little more info a little later. Suffice to say this is something that will need a little more thought put into it so hopefully we can make it worthwhile and still satisfy the organizers with the intent of making it much bigger next year.

SoEzzy Wrote:The number of places may be restricted, is there room for RV's and trailers near or next to the cooking area?
There is all kinds of parking available at the arena, however I am not sure if they allow overnight RV parking. Because of the time of year, the weather is a little unpredictable. They are giving us the option of either setting up outside next to the arena or will make room inside. I don't think there will be room for more than about 20 teams, but they have said they would be willing to accomodate at least that many either inside or out. It is a full size rodeo arena and I think it measures 300' X 320', not exactly sure. There is a small kitchen facility and it has water and power available.

SoEzzy Wrote:Are there any reasonably priced hotels / motels in the area?
There are several hotels within 10 blocks of the arena, and many more less than 10 minutes away. That time of year the prices are very reasonable.

SoEzzy Wrote:Looking forward to possibly doing this one to round out the end of the BBQ competition year!
It would be great if you could make it. With any luck if it turns out good this time around, I am hopeful we could make it a full blown pro event next year. The organizers have been nothing but helpful and receptive to the idea and are doing alot to make this happen. Like I said there are still some things to iron out since those involved, (inlcuding myself), have very little expertise. I would also like to encourage anyone that is willing to stay for the ducth oven contest the next day. It is really a good time as well.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-13-2010 02:21 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the speedy response, glad to know you're on top of most of them from the get go!

Keep on keeping on, and the more info the better! :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-13-2010 02:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Papa Boka Offline

It's too bad that this is on a Friday. Awfully tough for a lot of folks to get BBQ going/set up on a Thursday night, which is essentially what it would take. Unlike BBQ, Dutchoven can be cooked in a day. Pulled pork we're talking a good ten hours +. Too bad they didn't switch the two contests.

I mean who likes Dutchoven anways? :wink:
09-16-2010 09:47 AM
Papa Boka Offline

Alright. I take it back. Looks like it's just ribs and chicken. That's do-able on a Friday.
09-16-2010 09:52 AM
tsawyer148 Offline

Yeah, I wish we could do a Friday/Saturday thing. Maybe next year. This one is shaping up pretty good so I am confident that it will turn into a much bigger one next year. The prizes should be good for this one as well and once I get them finalized I'll let you know. Hope you can make it down!!

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-16-2010 09:57 AM
tsawyer148 Offline

By the way, here is the flyer. I will have the registration forms and links by the first of next week.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-16-2010 10:07 AM
Brian Offline

I am wondering about the people's choice. I don't know many cooks who have the cooking space to make 10 to 12 racks of ribs so we can sample them out to the public. I believe that serving 100 people would require that many racks o' ribs.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
09-23-2010 06:13 AM
tsawyer148 Offline

As I explained in an earlier post above, we are still working on that. I have a meeting this morning with the organizers so hopefully we can get a better feel for what they are expecting. As was also explained earlier the people in charge are "encouraging" us to do something in the way of the people's choice in an effort to keep the format as close as possible as the Dutch Oven contest as many of the volunteers and helpers have already been involved with that over the last few years.

Once I get a better handle on exactly what they are expecting it may be easier to figure out....Keep your fingers crossed, I know I am..

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-23-2010 07:39 AM
tsawyer148 Offline

I have had several people contact me about this event and I am trying desperately to get the registration forms finished and published, but I am waiting for one person to get ahold of me. Obviously my need for information doesn't coincide with their schedule. So, here is a follow up for now:

The area at the arena will work out very nice for this contest. If we end up setting up outside, it will be on a paved asphalt area that is about 60' X 150'. Culinary water is available very close by and power is available just inside the building, (bring your own extension cords). If we set-up inside, it is a very large packed dirt area.

I have tried to get the organizers to go without a people's choice but they are balking a bit at that idea. They want the public to be involved as much as possible especially this first year. However, we have decided that the poeple's choice will only include ribs. Chicken will not be part of the people's choice however the main contest will still include chicken and ribs. Participation in the people's choice is completely voluntary.

Each team will be given at least 2 racks of ribs and at least 12 chicken thighs. If you wish to cook more or don't want to use the meat that is given that is okay and you are welcome to bring your own. However we are asking that the ribs are pork spares, (not baby backs), and that you still do only chicken thighs. Ribs may be any cut as you wish, (st. louis style, etc.), but will need to be turned in on the bone for the main contest.

The organizers are wanting to sell up to 100 tasting packets for the people's choice and are asking that the portion sizes be about the size of a quarter. I am having a hard time figuring out how to make this work so if anyone has any suggestions, by all means let me know.

There will be cash and other prizes given out to the winners. The exact amount has yet to be determined. It will depend on the total costs associated with the event and whether all the sponsors come through or not. As it stands, there will be between $1500.00 and $2500.00 available for cash prizes, and possibly even more.

Once i get all my s**t in a pile and get the regisration forms done, I will also include an information sheet with this and any other pertinent information attached. We will be limiting this to 20 teams and once again I highly encourage anyone who has never participated and those who are seasoned pitmasters and anyone in between to consider coming to this event, we want to make sure any and all who wish to participate feel welcome. I have already spoken to the people in charge and if things work out well, they are willing to help do everyhting they can to bring in a sanctioned event next year.

Bert.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
09-27-2010 02:31 PM
tsawyer148 Offline

Okay, I have finally gotten the registration forms done... There have been a few changes to what I posted in the reply above but nothing too serious. Let me know if you have any questions or comments and I am looking forward to a great time!!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq/registration%20form.pdf">http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq/registration%20form.pdf</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq/registration%20form.doc">http://www.miners-peak.com/bbq/registration%20form.doc</a><!-- m -->

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
10-03-2010 11:35 PM
tsawyer148 Offline

tsawyer148 Wrote:Each team will be given at least 2 racks of ribs and at least 12 chicken thighs. If you wish to cook more or don't want to use the meat that is given that is okay and you are welcome to bring your own. However we are asking that the ribs are pork spares, (not baby backs), and that you still do only chicken thighs. Ribs may be any cut as you wish, (st. louis style, etc.), but will need to be turned in on the bone for the main contest.

I forgot to mention that the only real change is to this particular statement. It should read:

Each team will be given at least 2 racks of ribs and at least 12 chicken thighs. If you wish to cook more or don't want to use the meat that is given that is okay and you are welcome to bring your own. However we are asking that the ribs are pork, (spares or baby backs), and that you still do only chicken thighs. Ribs may be any cut as you wish, (st. louis style, etc.), but will need to be turned in on the bone for the main contest

Bert.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
10-04-2010 02:58 PM
BBdoesQ Offline

Hi Bert,

We are planning on coming down with our trailer and smoker on Thursday, can we stay at the cook site Thursday and leave Saturday? If not is there an RV park that is close to center? Looking forward to coming down and cooking.

BBdoesQ

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
10-04-2010 03:56 PM
tsawyer148 Offline

I will check with the arena and see what they say about over night parking and will let you know. There are two RV parks that are both about 5 or so miles from the arena and basically close to the middle of town, one is a KOA and the other one is the Country Aire RV park. If you do a google search for "RV parks cedar city utah" they come up. There is another one listed, (sportsman country RV park), but I think the information is incorrect, it is actally 20 miles away.

I pass the arena every day on my way to work and also pass the local Wal-Mart. I see RV's parked in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart that I'm sure have been there overnight and the Wal-Mart is less than 2 miles away from the arena and is on the same road. Not sure if they have hearburn over it but it doesn't appear to bother them.

Let me know if you need more info.

Bert.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
10-04-2010 05:53 PM
tsawyer148 Offline

Hey BBdoesQ,

I went to a meeting this morning with the organizers and asked about the parking at the arena. They do have some RV parking there with power available and he seemed to think it does not cost very much. The person I talked to did not have all the specifics, but if you would like, you can call 435-865-9223 and ask for Larry Olds, he is the person that oversees the Cross Hollow Event Center.

Hope that helps..

Bert.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
10-05-2010 10:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  July 1st and 2nd Huntsville, Utah BBQ Contest T 5 2,435 02-11-2011 02:05 PM
Last Post: T
  Cedar City Backyard results tsawyer148 17 3,700 11-04-2010 03:05 PM
Last Post: Gene