Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Onion Pepper Kraut
Unregistered

Onion Pepper Kraut
Tonight I created something completely by accident that I thought I'd share with you kraut lovers.

The original plan was to steam some polish sausage over some onions and then grill them off. It all started with a bed of sliced onions in a cast iron skillet with the sausage piled on top. I got a little busy, so I turned the heat down to a slow simmer and covered the skillet with some foil. I returned and saw that the onions had cooked down to what looked like sauerkraut. I initially thought, "Crap! I don't want mushy onions."

Creativity then kicked in and I looked in the fridge for some inspiration. I spied a jar of banana peppers and I thought, "I'll just dump in some of these and their juice in and make a kraut." I did just that and let the mixture cook down to soften the peppers. It worked out very well. The vinegar in the juice and the peppers made a very nice sausage topping.

Just sharing,
John
01-03-2008 11:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Onion Pepper Kraut
Ach Tung. Those of us that are of German descent should enjoy a good kraut feed. Sausage and kraut, um um good. My Grandmother was German. She lived in Providence, Ut. most of her life. In the fall the townsfolk would combine their knoweledge and skills and make up a bunch of saurkraut for a turkey and kraut dinner in the fall. That was some feed I'll tell you. The old ones have passed on and their young uns don't care 'bout kraut. Sad.
Gene
01-04-2008 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Onion Pepper Kraut
Er, knowledge and sauerkraut. Sorry, ought to use spell check.
01-04-2008 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cucumber and Red Onion Salad Guest 12 2,399 10-06-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post: sampson