Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
wood buying
LT72884 Offline

wood buying
im going to buy some wood this week possibly from standard wood.

I am only going to get a small amount of apple wood. What do i need to look for when buying GOOD APPLE WOOD? I want to make sure it is very very good wood.

Since the wood is outside at standrad, how long will i have to let it dry?

What indicates good wood?

tahnks

I am skilled at the art of love. I just wish i had a bigger paint brush

My websites: http://GrillofMyDreams.blogspot.com
http://TheBreadJournal.blogspot.com
02-01-2011 11:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

RE: wood buying
(02-01-2011 11:45 PM)LT72884 Wrote:  im going to buy some wood this week possibly from standard wood.

I am only going to get a small amount of apple wood. What do i need to look for when buying GOOD APPLE WOOD? I want to make sure it is very very good wood.

Since the wood is outside at standrad, how long will i have to let it dry?

What indicates good wood?

tahnks

Just saw your post... but you may have already purchased your wood. But I have been taught by one of the best in the "smoking" wood business. Mr.Rick Naug, of Apple Creek Timber up in WA. That if you take two of the logs/split logs and bang them together they should produce a crisp/sharp popping sound like two bowling pins vs low dull thud, to ensure they are properly dried. I tend to get mine from the orchards here in Idaho, and initially keep it outside in the sun and wind, then as it get close, take it inside as to not to over dry it, which I dont really think you can...

Hope this helps
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-17-2011 07:54 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I always tell folks that when using two seasoned splits, when you bang them together, it should have the same crack of a good line drive in baseball.

If you get a dull thunk, change one of the pieces for another, if you still get a thunk, change the other original piece, if you still get a thunk, the whole wood pile is probably not seasoned enough yet.

Wood that is stacked properly, off the ground will not stay wet even when stored outside, the bottom layer that is still in contact with the ground may be wet, but once split and stacked it will air dry over 6 - 9 months.

You can burn new cut wet wood... if you have to, but it takes more of the energy produced by the burn to heat that wood and drive off the water content, before whats left will burn, this reduces the amount of heat ready for the cooking chamber.

Fresh cut wood has a moisture content at 75 - 80%, well seasoned wood will have a moisture content below 20%, kiln dried wood will have a moisture content of 6 - 8%, but is is not stable, and if left outside will regain water taking it back to 18 - 20%.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-19-2011 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I use this method to tell if my wood is ready.
1) Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut open the plastic bag.
2) If you see saw dust, your wood has to much moisture. If you see pellets, your wood is ready to cook with.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-19-2011 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the chuckle Larry! Big Grin

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-19-2011 11:51 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

(02-19-2011 10:00 AM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  I use this method to tell if my wood is ready.
1) Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut open the plastic bag.
2) If you see saw dust, your wood has to much moisture. If you see pellets, your wood is ready to cook with.

Now that's funny right thereBig Grin

I think it's also important when picking your wood to determine it's primary use. Is it mostly to provide heat or to give lots of smoke. Since I'm just using the wood chunks for smoke, I like them slightly green. Maybe 2-3 months old if I can get it and Standard can often supply this for you.

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2011 10:32 PM by sampson.)
02-21-2011 10:29 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

I keep all my wood outside year round and never have a problem with it being to wet.

If you have an off set fire box set the next few splits on top until your ready to toss em in. This will dry and worm them a little so when it is time to toss them in it doesn't take as long to start burning rather than steam and pop for 20 min.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
07-06-2011 01:38 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That's the way we do it here in Okinawa too.
Larry, good post.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
07-06-2011 03:46 PM