Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sauce Recipe
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Sauce Recipe
Hey, I spent all summer working on my rub recipe and have finally got it down. Now, I am trying to come up with some sauce recipes. I have created a great vinegar based sauce but can't seem to find a tomato-based sauce that I like. Does anyone have a good starter recipe for a tomato-based sauce. I will definitly tinker with it, I just can't seem to find a base sauce that I like.

TDQ.
01-02-2008 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Sauce Recipe
According to the History Channel, ALL BBQ sauces started with Krafts' for a base. I personally hate it.
Gene
01-02-2008 03:57 PM
Unregistered

TDQ - "Good" sauces, like most things in BBQ, are strongly based on personal tastes and are typically developed through a bunch of experimentation. Also, a "good" competition sauce can often be very different than a sauce you'd use at home for casual cooks. Given that, you'll have to find a starter recipe that looks good on paper and work from there.

I'd recommend that you start a BBQ book collection and maybe start with Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes by Steven Raichlen or Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces. Either of those should give you plenty of inspiration.

Here are some other classics, in no particular order:

Smoke & Spice by Cheryl Alters Jamison

Smokestack Lightning by Lolis Eric Elie

John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q

Peace, Love, & Barbecue by Mike Mills

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue

Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook by Ray Lampe

That should keep you busy for a while. :wink: Smile

I hope this helps,
John
01-03-2008 08:01 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

My son & daughter-in-law gave me the Paul Kirk book for Christmas. Big book, full of info. P.L.& BBQ is another good one also. Patio Daddio pretty much covered the library. If you sat down and read those you'd miss some events this summer though.
Gene
01-03-2008 10:21 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

A friend of mine that works for a well known cooking show went on a quest for the best sauce. Here's what he ended up with:

BBQ SAUCE

1½) C Onion, minced, sautéed in veg oil w/a pinch of minced garlic

1) C Tomato paste

1) C Vinegar, apple cider (real, not flavored)

8) Oz. Honey

1) C Dijon mustard

1) C Hoisin Sauce (Sun Luck brand, Harman’s has it)

½) C Worchester sauce

½) Soy sauce

2) T Chili powder

1) T Cumin, ground

½) t Red pepper flakes

Simmer for 30 minutes, don't splatter on your wife's stove.

I have made it and when I really want knock out ribs.
01-03-2008 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

A couple other thoughts... I cannot overstate the importance of voracious reading, experimenting, practicing and record-keeping. I've found that those are the keys to improving your food.

- Read for instruction and ideas
- Experiment to evaluate the instruction and ideas
- Practice to make perfect
- Keep records so you can repeat the process

John
01-03-2008 11:03 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Thanks for all your advise. I have been reading a TON of information on all of this stuff. In fact, I have read most of the books you all have recomended. I am finding that my tastes are pretty particular and I am struggling to find a sauce that I like. I have tried a TON of different batches of sauce (written them all down to remember what NOT to try). I have a few more that I want to try this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I'll let y'all know.
01-03-2008 11:26 AM
BBQSki Offline

Ray Lampe's book "Road Trip" has a bunch of regional sauce recipes that can be used as a jumping off point, too.

I always try to order up a bottle of sauce whenever I order supplies on the internet -- just to see if there is something worth trying to duplicate. I had this bottle of sauce in my cupboard for about 3 years called LC's Hot. I don't know why I never opened it, but I did recently and it was pretty good. Its kind of grainy because it has a lot of celery seed in it.

...I've been wanting to try T's sauce, as several people have told me its quite good.
01-03-2008 12:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slowdad Offline

PatioDaddio;p="6889 Wrote:TDQ - "Good" sauces, like most things in BBQ, are strongly based on personal tastes and are typically developed through a bunch of experimentation. Also, a "good" competition sauce can often be very different than a sauce you'd use at home for casual cooks.

Patio,

I haven't had the opportunity to attend a competition, and I too am in the "process" of figuring out just what I like in terms of my own personal sauce, but can you explain what you mean by comp sauces being "very different" from casual cooking?
01-03-2008 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Slowdad - I was just trying to say that what a given cook likes at home can be different than what the judges have come to expect. I'm no pro, but I've found that they generally seem to like mild and sweet tomato-based sauces. If you tend to personally lean toward the more "fringe" sauces, like mustard-based, vingegar-based, hot-n-spicy, etc. you'll have to adjust accordingly.

John
01-03-2008 01:13 PM
Flexo Offline

As a judge, I have talked to other judges at the judging table and John (Patio) is right about the sauces. If you want to have some kick, just a little will do. If you want a vinegar tang, just a little will do. As long as the sauce is not overpowering to the meat, you will be ok. Of course this does pertain to competitions and not what you like at home. Go hog wild at home.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-03-2008 02:37 PM
Slowdad Offline

OK, that makes sense. It should be the meat, not just the sauce. Thanks guys.

I'll have to get out to one of the competitions this year to check it out.
01-03-2008 04:18 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I think everyone has different taste. I personally like a sause that has Molasses in it. A little spice is nice also. I think I like it hotter than most so when I make mine I have to do two batches one for me and one for the family. As for comp being a cook and a judge. I found that the apperance has a lot more to do with it than you would think. I was a table captian at one comp here locally. One of the teams turned in a mustard based sauce. It tasted fine but it really didn't look that great. But in some parts of the country thats what they love.
01-03-2008 07:43 PM
Unregistered

no1plumber;p="6913 Wrote:...I personally like a sause that has Molasses in it. A little spice is nice also.
Dude, you'd better get out of my recipe book. :wink: Smile I'm with you on both points, brother. Molasses, ancho and chipolte are like chocolate and peanut butter with a cherry on top.

John
01-03-2008 11:17 PM
Swine Steward Offline

Regional as well as personal tastes can be pretty selective. For myself, I like to make a good Memphis sauce with two to three of hot spices. For everyone else I remove the hot spices and add a strong fruit flavor to the sauce.
01-04-2008 02:13 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

A little J.D. or bourbon makes for a tasty sauce. Most of you guys know about J.D right? Square bottle, black label, etc. :wink:
01-04-2008 07:32 AM
Cyclops Offline

How do you keep the ice from melting while the "sauce" simmers?
Seems like a good waste of medicine to me.....

Life Is A Team Sport
01-04-2008 08:39 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I forgot the "medicinal" functions of those two "sauces". Multi tasking, the Air Force calls it, when one can do two or more job skills without them having to pay for 2 specific worker bees. It would seem these "sauces" will fit that category also.
"We don't need no stinking ice"
It's 10 degrees down here in Northern Utah.
01-04-2008 09:39 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="6928 Wrote:A little J.D. or bourbon makes for a tasty sauce. Most of you guys know about J.D right? Square bottle, black label, etc. :wink:

Hummm....? Nope! never heard of it? I might just have to Google it :wink: Isn't that right JayBird?? :roll:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-04-2008 10:24 AM
Jaybird Offline

Actually, I do have lot of experiences using JD. You could say....it's in my blood and at times...it is my blood! Big Grin

Good in sauce too.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-04-2008 11:44 AM
Cyclops Offline

Now, That's Funny!

Life Is A Team Sport
01-04-2008 11:52 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

You don't really need a recipe. You need access to a supply of Bold & Bangy. Peel off the label. Done.

:twisted:

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-04-2008 12:09 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

SmokinJoe;p="6940 Wrote:You don't really need a recipe. You need access to a supply of Bold & Bangy. Peel off the label. Done.

:twisted:

Joe's right!!! All ya need is a glass, some ice, peel the label and pour ( No measuring cup req.) :lol: Then give it some time, and soon the "Bold&Bangy" will take over! :wink: Repeat steps 1-3 as needed

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-04-2008 12:47 PM