Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ Forum post.. please read
Jaybird Offline

BBQ Forum post.. please read
Posted by csc bbq team on December 20, 2007 at 14:18:26:
Today is one of my favorite days of the year. I was able to cut checks from my foundation for cancer research and to assist those with cancer in the amounts over $22k from our fundraising for the year.

While I would like to thank everyone individually on the Forum for their contributions, I won't do that. I would like to say a special thank you and to single out Jay and Monica Benedict, who cook as Otis and the Bird out of Mesa, Arizona. They made a committment to donate either $50 or 10% of their winnings from each BBQ contest that they cooked in for the 2007 year. This kind of action just truly humbles me. For their actions, I just wanted to say thank you to Jay and Monica. Keep up the fight guys! (I also owe you guys a couple of new t-shirts that I never quite unpacked at this year's Jack. So I will mail them out to you.)

Thanks again to all that made contributions to help fight that terrible disease, cancer.

Cancer Sucks!

All the best.

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did not post this here for any pats on the back. It is an honor for me to donate to Scottie's foundation. He lost his wife in 2003 and has been raising money to fight cancer for other people ever since, As most of you know Monica has been battling cancer for going on ten years now, Glod bless this strong woman! I posted this here to draw awareness.
I challenge other teams to attach themselves, through BBQ, to a charity throughout the new year. Whether it be cancer, autism, childrens charities, whatever is closer to your heart. Don't be shy. Make it known on this Forum or others what you do. Others will hopefully jump on the wagon with you.

Thanks, and please do what you can.

Merry Christmas
Otis and the Bird

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
12-22-2007 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: BBQ Forum post.. please read
Jaybird;p="6753 Wrote:I did not post this here for any pats on the back.

Well, I WILL "pat you on the back", Jay & Monica... I don't frequent that forum due to some of the attitudes/egos you find over there, so I thank you for sharing...

Just like Gene, you and your wife are yet another wonderful example of the kind of people that are found out in the BBQ community... You aren't out there "tootin' your horn" or "bangin' a drum"... You both just go about business your rather "quietly" (well, with the exception of getting your name called at about every comp you enter!!), with a kind word and smile to just about everyone you meet... And obviously a heart of gold to boot...

Thanks for the character you bring to BBQ...

Dr. Mike
12-22-2007 05:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Not two minutes ago I read Jays post, It didnt take long, long for the tears to roll, as being so proud of what Jay & Monica have done. As some may know, Monica is my cousin, and Jay I have known each other going back to 1986 and was my best man in my wedding. When I first found out back in 06 that they were cooking for a cause, I said to myself I would also join that fight. Time passes, and things slip to the side, and are forgotten, and 2007 I only cooked at 4 comps. and had a busy summer vending and catering. With all that said, I want to say that I am in!

I met Scotty at the 2006 Jack, the day after his beloved father passed, We talked briefly, he told me of his loss, and we parted ways. Well I will tell you this, starting in 2008 I hope to do six events, and I am in for 15% of what winnings ( Not as much as Otis & the Bird will win) I will make! I encourage all of us to pick a cause and do more for the people in this country not as fortunate as us.

Happy Holidays To All

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-22-2007 07:34 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Ran into Scottie at the Royal and chatted for a bit. Don't remember how it came up, but he mentioned to me that you were in this habit. I was really tickled and impressed.

Thanks for being you, Jay and Monica. Scottie, too, for that matter!

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-04-2008 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Jaybird and Dave,

I am following your fine example and at your advice I am posting here my efforts for a charity organization. It is Tao Project. My words can do it little justice. See the link for a good idea of what they are about. I have promised them 10% of any winnings from BBQ.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.taoproject.org">www.taoproject.org</a><!-- w -->

Brian

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
01-24-2008 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaybird Offline

Brian;p="7415 Wrote:Jaybird and Dave,

I am following your fine example and at your advice I am posting here my efforts for a charity organization. It is Tao Project. My words can do it little justice. See the link for a good idea of what they are about. I have promised them 10% of any winnings from BBQ.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.taoproject.org">www.taoproject.org</a><!-- w -->

Brian

That's awesome Brian!! Way to step up to the plate. Good luck this year and hope you make alot of money for the cause.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-24-2008 10:48 AM