Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A BIG BIG (Skinny Boys BBQ BIG) Thanks to Gene!
Infamous Dave Offline

A BIG BIG (Skinny Boys BBQ BIG) Thanks to Gene!
I wanted to thank Gene publicly and figured the best place to do it was on this site as everyone here will really appreciate what he did. (Short background first) My mom was in charge of her ward Christmas party this last Sat. This is the ward that I grew up in and I still know most of the people in the ward. A couple of months ago she asked for my help and I called Gene, who was gracious enough to volunteer his time (and his massive smoker) to come and help smoke the meats for the party. By Friday afternoon the meat had all been purchased ($400) and prepared. Friday afternoon my wife and I got some bad news that she had had a miscarriage. The doctor wanted my wife at the hospital Sat morning at 6:30 am to take care of things. I called Gene and told him what was happening and explained that I would still help before and after the procedure at the hospital but that there would be several (turned out to be 8 hours) in the middle of cooking that he would be a one man show. I gave him the option to back out if he felt like doing so. (The whole time praying that he wouldn’t.) Without hesitating he said NO, I’m not that kind of guy. I was grateful. Normally under these circumstances I would call and explain that we would have to cancel. But I didn’t know how they would take around all of the meat to ward members and ask them to cook it and bring it that night. Most people would not know the first thing to do with a 15 lb Brisket. And most everything had been opened and trimmed and some of it seasoned, so they couldn’t take it back and come up with plan B. I was able to help get things on the grill and watch things for the first few hours and then I went home to get my wife and Gene took over for the next several hours. After we were finished at the hospital I took my wife to her parent’s home and returned to help Gene with the cook. It was most impressive. Everything turned out very well and it was very delicious. We had smoked 3 briskets, 8 butts, 7 turkeys, 20 racks of ribs and a Christmas goose. The party was for the adults in the ward and we served 140 people. With my moms direction the ward really did a great job to decorate the cultural hall at the church. Round tables, velvet table cloths. They ate on china and the entire place was decorated very elegantly. They had some good side dishes that complemented the meat, but the star of the show was the variety of slow smoked meats. It was fun to be a part of; I just wish the circumstances had been different for me.

Gene, buddy. Thank you so much for stepping up to the plate and thank you for your time and talent. There were a lot of people Sat night that ate real smoked BBQ for the first time and you spoiled them with a wonderful spread! Thanks again!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
12-17-2007 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
12-17-2007 09:45 AM
Cyclops Offline

Re: A BIG BIG (Skinny Boys BBQ BIG) Thanks to Gene!
I can't imagine anything else! This is "La Famiglia" and Gene is a class act. This is exactly the reason why most of us are involved in this crazy hobby. Sure, it's fun to try and cook just a little bit better than last time, but I have never been associated with a more caring bunch of people.
Thanks for making BBQ look good once again Gene.
Our prayers are with you and your family Dave. We are so sorry for your loss!

Life Is A Team Sport
12-17-2007 10:11 AM
Unregistered

I will only echo what has already been said regarding Gene... I think when you look up the word "gentleman" in the dictionary, you will find a photo of Gene right next to the word... Without a doubt, one of the most sincere, genuine, and caring individuals you will find around...

And to you and your family, Dave, my most sincere thoughts and prayers... My wife and I have been there as well, and we more than understand what both of you are going through...

God speed...

Dr. Mike
12-17-2007 01:24 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

That was an awsome gift from the heart Gene! One cannot express how much that kind of thing means to someone when they need the help.

Dave, I hope all is going well with your wife. We are keeping you all in our prayers.

Mike
12-17-2007 02:36 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Ya know, that Gene is something isn't he??? I spent several hours with him last night and he talked about the cook but never once mentioned all of the other obstacles that he helped overcome. Gene, I'm proud to say I know you, good job!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
12-17-2007 03:55 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo guys, I told you all how I felt about Gene in an earlier post. It ain't hard to pick out a geniune person. Dave, from the team of UTAH SMOKE, our prayers go out to you and your family, and if you need anything don't hesitate to call.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
12-17-2007 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ah gee guys, :oops: just helping a friend, and spreadin' the word about the Utah BBQ Association, no accolades required. Just wish I'd have had some Assoc. business cards with me. I wonder what the aroma was like in that building Sunday morning? Smile
12-18-2007 10:13 AM
Cyclops Offline

It had the aroma of "pure heaven" and good people!

Life Is A Team Sport
12-18-2007 10:21 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Thanks to all that posted a note to me and my wife. We will be just fine. Our BBQ Family really is a good group of folks! Thanks again for your kind words.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
12-18-2007 12:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First big cook pitbulls 7 693 08-12-2013 08:21 PM
Last Post: pitbulls
  A big thanks from BBQ Pit Stop bbqpitstop 0 380 12-26-2012 09:13 PM
Last Post: bbqpitstop
  Big Momma Smokes some Butts Member closed account! 3 704 08-17-2012 08:35 AM
Last Post: Phred