Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mixing Vat 'o Rub
BBQSki Offline

Mixing Vat 'o Rub
I mixed this vat 'o rub (about 16 cups worth) until I got tennis elbow, but it still wasn't fully mixed together. Is there an easy method to mix large quantities of rub?
12-11-2007 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Mixing Vat 'o Rub
Try the ol' food processor. Most of them aren't to large in the capacity dept but they are fast.
12-11-2007 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

I use a case tumbler. I have to work the "sugars" a little with a fork to be sure the clumps are broken down but it vibrates and circulates at the same time. It will hold about 2 1/2 pounds.

Life Is A Team Sport
12-11-2007 02:36 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

BBQSki;p="6645 Wrote:I mixed this vat 'o rub (about 16 cups worth) until I got tennis elbow, but it still wasn't fully mixed together. Is there an easy method to mix large quantities of rub?

Try a hand held electric mixer! And for what its worth, and also JMHO, I use glass mixing bowls rather than metal or SS, I for some reason have a problem with the " metal to metal" thing while mixing rub :roll:

Dave

PS: I may as well say this before 1of4 other people does, All of the above really doesn't matter, if you happen to add DBL the amount of celery salt :shock: By mistake of course :oops:

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-12-2007 10:08 AM
BBQSki Offline

Electric mixer! I wish I would have thought of that (but as usual the most obvious solutions to everything escape me).

I usually make small batches of rub because I'm always experimenting, but I made this large batch to give away some as christmas gifts. Very basic - sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, thyme. I put the rub together with some sauce, an aluminum foil "smoke bomb," and instructions to barbecue ribs. Hopefully the recipients will like it as a gift.

...and no smart-alec comments about the Famous Dave's :lol: .....it was on sale at albertsons, and I actually like it compared to the other available grocery store brands
12-12-2007 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Cool idea on those gifts!! The last few years I have given BBQ'd or roasted pastochio's (SP)? I lightly coat them with olive oil, and sprinkle various types of rubs on them, some like straight garlic and some a spicy or cajun flavor. Now you might wonder how you keep them on the cooker as not to fall through the cooking grate? Wally World, has these very light gauge exspanded wire trays that work great, in my FEC-100 on the smoke setting for about on hour or so.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-12-2007 11:38 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ya, that's kinda like the Macaroni Grill, how DO they keep them little cusses from slipping 'tween the grills? (LOL) Dave's right bout the metal though, just use glass or plastic bowls. I hate cleaning up glass after a oops.
12-12-2007 03:25 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

There was one other than'g and I hope its not true :shock: BBQSKI?......... Tell me it aint so!? The pooches water bowl on the floor in your pic? vs the one with the rub in it! :lol:

Just in fun my friend, just in fun :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-12-2007 03:55 PM
BBQSki Offline

Another obvious thing that got passed me.....I should have used those dog bowls to mix up my in-laws rub! :twisted:
12-12-2007 04:25 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

PackerBacker;p="6651 Wrote:
BBQSki;p="6645 Wrote:Dave

PS: I may as well say this before 1 of 4 other people does, All of the above really doesn't matter, if you happen to add DBL the amount of celery salt :shock: By mistake of course :oops:

Ha, ha, ha that was funny right there....I don't care who ya are. Big Grin Big Grin Dave, at comps, you just keep doin' math that way.
Later

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-12-2007 05:39 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

All I will say to that is "Today a bridesmaid, always a bridesmaid" :lol: You need to do some laundry for next BBQ season Tongue

Call me later :wink:
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-12-2007 06:26 PM
Cyclops Offline

Tongue Those gift baskets look really cool! The only thing you left out was Packer Backer's 5 pounds of celery salt for that extra little "tang" Tongue

Life Is A Team Sport
12-12-2007 09:10 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Jim!!! Styful yourself, remember I know where you live :lol:
See ya when you get back into town :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-12-2007 09:33 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Basket idea is great. I see rub, apple juice, and sauce but what is that 4th gift?

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-13-2007 04:13 PM
BBQSki Offline

Its a "smoke bomb".....most of the people I am giving these to have gas grills (gasp), and I put wood chips in foil for them to throw on their burners. Of course, it will work on charcoal grills as well. The aluminum pan is actually part of the kit as well.
12-13-2007 05:52 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Looks like I'm gonna have to steal you gift idea. Thanks!!
Dave, how much extra celery salt should I use in a "gift rub" Tongue Tongue Tongue

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
12-13-2007 09:14 PM
Cyclops Offline

He told me that it was 1/2 the total weight of the batch. So, a 1 lb. batch of rub would take 1/2 lb. of celery salt. ( he may have cut that back just a "titch" )
You know, now that I think about it, I wonder why that one catering gig never called him back?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
12-13-2007 09:23 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Ty, bro that is a great idea thanks for sharing that with us. I mixed batches of seasoning for years by stirring by hand, then going on to the kitchen aid mixer and bottled it as well for sale in the restaurant. I now have a 40 to 50 pound electric paddle tumbler system that I got lucky on the find and purchased. It is rarely seen because it's in the War Room, you like that Jim? I may take a picture of it soon and show ya.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
12-14-2007 01:41 AM
Cyclops Offline

:wink: If you remember, I have indeed, seen the paddle machine in the war room. The problem is that unless we are going to cook for the 101st. Airborne, it doesn't do much good for us "mere mortals". :wink:

Life Is A Team Sport
12-14-2007 05:18 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

I do remember my friend and you where the one that named it the War Room that is exactly why I referred to you. Man, I am glad that I do have a unit like that, but it is too big for the backyarder. I have a shipment of Rub going to the St George location for Monday and I will mix it Saturday. I will take a picture of it then just to kill the curiosity. Been cooking in this weather Utah cooks fun to deal with the barometric changes huh? Going to smoke a Ham Saturday on my BDS, Showtime is in the Bahama's for the Winter[not really]. Is anyone else going to cook? Good Q to ya all!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u,com">www.q4u,com</a><!-- w -->
12-14-2007 09:08 AM
GBQ Offline

Was standing in the door way of the war room one day watching T mix rub for St.George,and I asked can I look around? Answer.......Hell no!!! Silly me.

Hey Dave.Packers vs Vikings at Lambeau field for the playoffs. Whatya think?

Gary

OU812BBQ
12-14-2007 09:50 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Packers by 10,
I got the Lil Tex Traeger with a couple of butts in it for a gig tonite for some buckskinners, chicken thighs later in the day as a second meat, D.O. beans & taters for sides. Then later tonight I'll be hookin' up with Infamous Dave for a turkeys, butts, ribs, briskets & geese cook at his Mom's place. Then to a church for serving 130 adults Sat eve. Notice everything is plural not singular. 50/50 pecan oak pellet mix is the choice for that cook. Address is a secret. Sad Sorry folks. We'll do some photos though. Big Grin
Gene
12-14-2007 10:39 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene!!? I am :shock:'d 10 points! You must be joking..... the last time they"showed up" they were dismantled by 34 points, and they didnt even score!

I tell ya what GBQ? IF they play, your house or mine, doesnt matter I will give you points, how many??....... Name the bet first :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-14-2007 11:09 AM
GBQ Offline

Thats just it Dave, last time they dident show up!Give me points?I don't need no stinken points.Vikes are on a roll.The Pack has been doing great,but all good things must come to an end & so with the Packers run.Sorry Dave.If the Vikings don't get them the cowboys will. Wait till next year Dave. (Remember the playoffs are one & done!)

Gary

OU812BBQ
12-14-2007 12:37 PM
Cyclops Offline

No wonder you two are into BBQ. Your both dumber than the stumps you try to burn! I just read one of you offering an unlimited amount of points, and the other turning them down. Man!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
12-14-2007 01:23 PM