Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pulled Pork; Best Bang for the Buck!!
Pegleg Offline

Pulled Pork; Best Bang for the Buck!!
It's our turn to host my family Christmas party this coming Saturday, we would like to serve pulled pork sandwiches; and figure there will be about 70 people attending. We live in the Ogden area and I work downtown Salt Lake City; I have never purchased this much pork before and was wondering if anyone could provide some tips on what cut of meat would give me the best bang for the buck and where have you found the best prices to buy it.

Thanks a ton!!

Lyle
11-26-2007 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flexo Offline

I am doing the same thing this weekend. We are using the pork butt for the sandwiches. I know 2 Pigs had a place they were buying meat in Ogden. I will have them let you know where they get it up there. For you Utah County folks, we have been getting meat from Sunbow meats in Lindon. We have been very pleased with the quality of meat from them.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-26-2007 09:35 AM
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Hey Lyle. Go to Champion Meat in Ogden. Right off of Riverdale Road. Talk to Scott. He is a good guy.

Jonathan
11-26-2007 01:15 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Pulled Pork; Best Bang for the Buck!!
Champion meat is good, I've bought there before. Another choice is to ask the meat guys at Sam's Club for some twin packs of Boston Butt. They come in twos at about 8 pounds per meat. (16 total). They are about 50 cents cheaper per pound then the case price.
When I cook for 100 I start with about 64 pounds of meat (8 Butts) which cooks down to about 40 pounds. This gives me 6oz. per sandwich which is a good sized helping plus enough extra for wiggle room.
After pulling the pork up using a couple forks or my favorite, Bear Claws (Cabala’s) I mix the meat up with a large bottle of Cattleman's BBQ sauce (Sam's) and serve it on a large hamburger bun. What really sets it off and will amaze your family is to put a large spoon full of "Tidewater Coleslaw" on top the meat as part of the sandwich. I am including the recipe if you have never tried it. I use the big bag of coleslaw from Sam's and chop it up to smaller pieces with a clever. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Tidewater Coleslaw

4 Cups Mayo
1.5 Cups white vinegar
1 Cup sugar
3 T celery seed

Mix in bowl and add to one bag of Sam’s Club coleslaw. Mix well and let sit overnight in fridge. Drain off excess liquid before serving.
11-26-2007 01:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQSki Offline

Lyle - I cooked a month or so ago for about 30 people. I did two butts and three racks of ribs and I ran out of food really quick! Definately pork butt is the most bang for your buck, as the ribs didn't really fill people up.

I don't know because I never get it right......maybe 10 butts for 70 people?
11-26-2007 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumbo Offline

deleted
11-26-2007 03:42 PM
Crazy Cajun Offline

gumbo,

dave (packerbacker) and I (crazy cajun) have done pulled pork sandwiches for some pretty big events. We use the typical boston butt and look for about
3 sevings per pound of cooked meat. Your precook weight will go down after the cook but an average is around 5 to 6 pounds per cooked butt. Also, use the small buns - let folks eat 2 or 3 instead of one big'un

one thing we always run into. some folks (god love,um) like the pork sandwich naked! No sauce! So you may want to hold some off to the side for a few purest!

Good luck and have fun!

Crazy Cajun

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
11-26-2007 06:39 PM
Crazy Cajun Offline

sorry lyle,

i was not paying atention and though that the post was from Gumbo. Just got home from work and I am kinda tired!
Anyway, I hope the comment helps and good luck

Kevin
CC

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
11-26-2007 06:41 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Lyle, I've had good luck, except in competitions, :oops: with Sams pork butts in the twin packs. The ones I've got lately were of the bone in variety. They cook well and are tasty. Those bear paws mentioned earlier are a must have for pulling the butts apart. Cabelas has 'em. They look like claws from a bear or other large carnivore.
Gene
11-26-2007 07:14 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

They also sell these on ebay for $8.95 and $2.95 in shipping. How much are Cabellas? Here is a link to the ebay auction.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAR-PAW-MEAT-HANDLERS-FOR-YOUR-BBQ-SMOKER-OR-GRILL_W0QQitemZ160184247835QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ​ViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAR-PAW-MEAT-HANDL ... dZViewItem</a><!-- m -->

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
11-26-2007 07:36 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Gene and I ran into Cabelas when we were at the event in PG. I think we paid $10 for a pair of the bear claws so Lyle you may want to just order them online. You would pay more in gas to go down to Lehi to get them then to pay for the shipping. Gene is right, these are a must have to pull pork or any other meat (I just used mine the other night to pull some chicken for tacos).

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
11-27-2007 08:20 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Hi Lyle
I get Bone in Boston Butt from J & R foods. They deliver right to my door. I buy them by the case and the come 2 butts in a bag and 6 butts per case. Give me a call.
11-27-2007 08:32 AM
Pegleg Offline

Thanks to EVERYONE for your input and all of your help -- T, thanks for the phone call. I will let you all know how this turns out. So far this will be my biggest cook, luckily it will be with close and understanding family members. If I have a chance I will take some pictures and throw them out here.

Lyle
11-27-2007 09:01 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Lyle! What you cooking all this meat on?? I thought you only had one WSM?? The only other advice I can give ya is. Don't cut yourself short on your cooking time in regards to the time you want to serve your family. There is nothing wrong with pre heating an empty cooler with a pan of hot water, and double foiling the butts and putting them in there with a bath towel over them for up to 4-5 hours! You will be amazed as to how hot they stay!!

Have fun! & call me if you need to

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-27-2007 11:09 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

One more note. Those devices are called Bear Paws not claws. I had a heck of a time tracking them down with the claw name.
Gene
11-27-2007 11:19 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo guys, I have used two forks from the kitchen as well as <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.allysonskitchen.com/pc-1399-303-rsvp-turkey-lifting-forks.aspx">http://www.allysonskitchen.com/pc-1399- ... forks.aspx</a><!-- m --> Turkey and roast lifting forks and they all work well. If your pork is cooked to a good pulling temperature you shouldn't have any trouble useing any. At my restaurant because of the removal of all fat we sometimes and most of the time use the black gloves. IMHO it's faster when you are doing quantity, talking cases. I have also used the electric mixing bowl as well, again your pork has to be cooked to a good pulling temp. Just a few other ways to do things and reach the same results. Hope this helps?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
11-27-2007 12:02 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

So Lyle! When you get that down, and have some spare time, Slow Joe & I have 100 butts to do and 150 -200 brats to get ready for the MCcall Winter Carnival here in Idaho 8) So keep the wrist's in shape :wink: We hope it will be a great money maker. Please pray for good weather!!!!!!!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-27-2007 05:58 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

I went ahead and ordered a set of Bear Paws from Ebay. Got them with no problems. Now I need to cook something so I can try them out!
12-10-2007 11:24 AM
Flexo Offline

I have bought the Bear Paws at Cabelas. They are $9.95
They are upstairs near the cooking spices at the Lehi location.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
12-10-2007 04:35 PM
BBQMama Offline

Tried T's suggestion of using the electric mixer on a couple of butts I cooked Saturday. The dough hook on my KitchenAid made short work of shredding that pork with no burnt fingers!!! Nice, consistent look. Was afraid it might make it a bit mushy, but the meat maintained its texture without problem

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
12-10-2007 05:10 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

I wonder if my wife would buy me a Kitchen Aid now? :roll:
12-10-2007 08:19 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

So Lyle, how did it go?
12-10-2007 09:10 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well now, don't that beat all. I can't get her to use it for bread, so I'll toss in the pork butts I'm doing for a Friday gig in the ol' K.A. 8)
12-11-2007 11:21 AM
Pegleg Offline

Fall semester is done and Christmas is finally over, I now have a few weeks to catch up and relax. Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I really appreciate everyone who helped me pull off this cook -- it was a hit for the family.

I put 30 pounds of pork, (4 butts) and put them on one smoker at about 11:00 Friday night. I got the temperature set at 130 deg and went to bed then got up at 3:00 A.M. and the temp was holding. At 6:00 A.M. the internal temp was about 165, I forgot to check the charcol in the WSM and at 9:00 A.M. I realized the bowl was empty and the temp of the cooker was down to 120 so I fired up a new chimney and threw them on at about 9:30. I let the temperature go up much higher maxing out at about 280.

We pulled the butts off at 12:00 when they reached an internal temp of 193, covered them and put them in a warm oven until the party started at 1:00. We used the smaller buns and served generous portions and had enought left over for Sunday dinner. We figured there were about 70 people in all -- 13 families with children ranging from infants to 20 year old kids. When we estimated the amount of meat we were basing it on 80 people which was 20 pounds, then figuring on shrinkage from the cook and other incidentals we rounded it up to about 30 pounds. I'm confident we could have served about 10 more people. I had Vic Bachman (no1plumber) make me some of his bbq sauce and we also made up a batch of T's applesauce sauce which my family loves, it's great on everything. He has other recipes on his website at q4u.com

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
12-28-2007 10:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pulled Pork Question Pegleg 9 2,306 07-18-2009 07:45 AM
Last Post: Pegleg