Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cherry and Peach
DOBBQ Offline
Account not Activated

Cherry and Peach
Here is a link that a friend of mine sent me to share with everyone. They are selling cherry and peach cut logs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=2052790&cat=60">http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=2052790&cat=60</a><!-- m -->
11-09-2007 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Cherry and Peach
Any of you stick burners used peach b/4?
I have a question in economics for my non Traeger owner friends, some of whom I've not yet met, and some I know well.
Anyway, assuming this wood is ready to go into your Fat 50, Lang, BDS, etc. the diameter and length are just right, it's dried out well, etc., at $140.00 / cord, (4'x4'x 8' right?) how many contests/cooks could you do on that $140.00 spent? Assuming 12 hours burn time, from start to last turn-in? Ideal ambient of 70 degrees, no nasty winds, like, hah, :roll: you say, where' s this place? 8) I wanna cook there!
Gene
11-10-2007 05:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Offline

Hmmm... I wonder if they have any smaller limbs in there that I could cut up for fist sized chunks for use in my WSM?
I really like using cherry wood, and have always wanted to try peach.

KCBS Certified Judge
11-11-2007 04:25 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I just used some apple that Vic, the plumber dropped off to me. Don't know if it was the wood or what but dang... those were some good ribs. Did up three racks of pork spares on the ugly drum, took about 4 and a half hours cuz I had a hard time holding temp due to the wind yesterday. Thanks again Vic for sticks...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-11-2007 10:52 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Uh, I'm pretty sure I missed the boat on this query. I forgot metal thickness of your cooker, altitude, volumn of the cooking space, and others I'm sure. I'm thinking BDS would probably not need as much wood as say a Lang 60, and a 84 would need more than either of the others. So I guess what I'm saying is there are just to many variables to pin this down to a science. So if you use this kind of wood, enjoy. Also, forget what I asked about how long it'd take to burn a cord of wood. It was 4:00 am when I first posted so I must have been sleep deprived or something.
On a brighter note I smoked a 11# gobbler in the Lil' Tex w/ hickory pellets using the brine recipe with the chinese 5 spice that Patio Daddio posted. You could put a pinch of that 'tween your cheek and gum, it's that good. (Ya better like licorice though) Anyway, brined it for about 16 hours and smoke/cooked it for another 14 hrs. or so. Way tasty, beautiful colored skin. The carcass will go in a stock pot for soup.
How about those Packers! and Broncos, yeh - Boise State and Denver!
11-12-2007 08:24 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Every thing I have read says that wood at 20% moisture content 1 lb of wood gives about 6,500 btu, and as a btu is the energy to raise 1 lb of water by 1 deg F, 73% of the weight of beef is water so a 12 lb brisket = 8.76 lbs of water.

&lt;!-- m --&gt;&lt;a class="postlink" href="http://www.osb.net/pomona/PigPitCooking.html"&gt;http://www.osb.net/pomona/PigPitCooking.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;!-- m --&gt Wrote:How to be an expert of firewood and some thermal calculations

A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet of wood, bark and air gaps. This is equivalent to the volume of a stack 2x4x16 feet. The volume of this pit is about 50 cubic feet, or 40% of a cord. About 35% of a cord of hardwood was burned in the pit. If the wood is not dry and seasoned, a lot of the heat is wasted boiling water out of the logs in the form of steam instead of heating up the pit. When the coals are burning the temperature is supposed to be hotter then when flames are burning, but I do not think the coals are adding as much heat to the pit as when the logs are burning.

A cord of hard wood contains about 16 million BTU's (British thermal units) of energy. A soft wood has only about 60% of this value.

Newly cut hardwood has about 75% moisture content, seasoned air dried hardwood is about 20% moisture. A cord of hardwood weighs about 4,400 pounds. A "cord" of water would weigh 7,660 pounds. Thus the average density of a cord of hardwood is 0.57 grams/cc.

Look at the ends of logs to determine if the wood is dry. It should have been dried at least over a full summer season. Seasoning checks (open splits) can be seen on the ends of at least partially dried wood. These "checks" result from the natural shrinkage of wood as it dries. If the wood has been seasoned outside, it will be somewhat discolored. It should not smell sappy. The wood should be hard and sound. Decayed wood has a low fuel value and, when dried, will feel light and burn rapidly.

To heat the pit only about 0.35 cord was used or 3.8 million BTU's. To heat 300 pounds of steel to 300 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient takes 778,000 BTU's. I assure the closed air temperature is a close indication of the sleeve's effective temperature. Steel's specific heat is 0.11 BTU/(lb-deg F). Not counting the rock bottom to the pit or the lid the heating efficiency is 20 %. I am sure the rocks are getting pretty hot but I have not data on the temperature profile of the rocks. I imagine the pits heating efficiency is close to 25%. Incidentally electrical engineers have historically used metric units.

I hope this takes you some way towards the answer Gene?

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-12-2007 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I've cooked with a little peach... Burns faster than a pecan or oak for certain... Not real hot, either (compared to an oak or pecan)... Just not as "hard"... Nice aroma, though...

I have no idea just how fast you might run a cord... If the wood is say from elbow to fist, decent size in diameter (none of that skinny stuff - 4-6" in dia), dried out well, not in real cold weather, and heaven help you that you are NOT up here in PC (where EVERYBODY knows it is impossible to cook) - well, in my Fat 50 I might run through a 2-3 sticks of peach that size about every 30-40 minutes...

Maybe that helps a little...

And uhhhh - you better be watching out for them Cowboys...

Hoochie 8)
11-12-2007 03:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Based on Hoochie-Ques info that is about 1' cubed in 1 1/2 - 2 hours so a cord of peach would cook down in between 192 - 280 hours of burn time, or 13 - 19 long cooks (1 1/2 hours to warm the pit + 14 hours to cook total 15.5 hours / cook estimation).

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-12-2007 04:56 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: You guys are all crazy. Finding Cherry and Peach is really easy!
You just go to the Traeger store and have them load it up! :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
11-12-2007 09:10 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

No peach yet Cyclops, cherry and apple for the fruit woods. They have a grapevine pellet out now too.
11-13-2007 08:09 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hoochie, I'd prefer to check out them Cowgirls. (Like George Straits' song implies) Were you refering to the Wyoming Cowboys? :lol: :roll:
11-13-2007 08:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Apple, Cherry and Peach wood Grill Sargent 4 439 09-19-2013 10:36 PM
Last Post: Grill Sargent