Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The 4th of July
Flexo Offline

The 4th of July
I wanted to put this out so everyone could make plans. We have approval from the Freedom Festival committee to have a BBQ contest in Provo Utah. The details are very preliminary and we will have more details to follow. We do have a site that will generate a lot of foot traffic. The site that they have for us is a very nice area. We are in talks with local hotels on discounts for the event. The ball is rolling and we will provide more info as we get it. So look forward to a very fun event!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-05-2007 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: The 4th of July
Is this the same Provo event that the 2 Pigs are also working on?

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-05-2007 11:24 AM
Flexo Offline

It is the very same one.

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
11-05-2007 11:42 AM
Brian Offline

Thanks for the early heads up for this contest. I have already begun picking the events I want to compete in this year so your early notification will help greatly setting priority for our groups competitions.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-05-2007 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2PigsSmokinB Offline

Hey Dave this is the contest. There is a lot of potential for this contest and the site they are looking to put in us in is a perfect location for visibility. We are really excited to get this off the ground and make this a great event.
11-05-2007 03:59 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sounds way cool! My hat goes off to ya for gett'n this together, all of you, that are involved in this event , way to go! We here in the Spud State have three we will be working on, I know Slow Joe went to the Harley Davidson Dealership again today, to speak with them, and as soon as I get back in town, I will do the same with the Race Track folks and the people from the Star Chamber, and also the Sam's club event, WOW! we are looking at four event possible over here, and with good discusion we wont have any overlap nor back to back events with yours there!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-05-2007 05:22 PM
Flexo Offline

We have been working with the Provo Freedom festival people for this competition and I have a couple of questions for everyone as we work out the site details. I would like to know how many motorhomes will be coming. There are plenty of hotels near by and we are curerently working with them for rates for the comp. but I know there are a few that would like to bring their motorhomes, and I want to make sure we have a place for them.

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-11-2008 09:23 AM
Jaybird Offline

I don't have a lot of information about this contest yet but if we come we will bring our 34' fifthwheel. Thanks

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-11-2008 09:28 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Motor coach 37 Ft. Skinny Boys BBQ.
Gene
01-11-2008 10:06 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Flexo, you may want to work out some details about teams giving/selling food to the public, too. Utah County is more relaxed than Salt Lake, and this could be a good opportunity for sampling...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-11-2008 10:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Dan, UTAH SMOKE 35 FT Coach. Thank to all of you guys for your efforts on that end.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef Sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
01-11-2008 11:01 AM
Flexo Offline

Hey Joe, thats a good idea. I will look into it!

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-11-2008 11:10 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

oh Gene...
A trager and a 37' motor home. There are many reasons that I like you and those are 2 of them...

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
01-11-2008 01:20 PM
Fat Zac Offline

I would like to attend, I have a "Hippy Van" I can crash in. If the wife comes along will probably get her a room though, she seems to have an addiction to soap and hot water.

"Why take life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive."
Bugs Bunny
01-12-2008 05:43 AM
Brian Offline

Dragon Smoke BBQ (formerly Smokin' with Willie) 32 foot motor home and maybe an equipment trailer trailer. Keep up the good work guys, great efforts on your behalf.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
01-12-2008 08:46 AM
BBQMama Offline

No motorhome ... yet. But will have a small tent city that could take up more room than a motor home. Let's see ... 2 Sistahs, 3 - 5 roadies and at least 5 kids ... Smile Anyone gonna volunteer to be set up next to us??

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
01-14-2008 10:53 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Hmmm, I guess us po' folk don't need all that room some of you do. I'll be there with a cot and a pillow and a lawn chair and some ugly old trash cans to cook on...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
01-14-2008 12:05 PM
Flexo Offline

Another update....
Jonathan and I met with the Freedom Festival folks and we are moving forward. We are working out the location part right now. We are working to make sure we can accommodate those that have RV's. The Freedom Festival is very excited about this event. We are also still working on the prize purse. We are hoping this will be a great prize purse. If anyone has suggestions on sponsors
let us know. We want to get to those sponsors as quickly as we can.

Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-29-2008 05:52 PM
Unregistered

That's great news, guys. You dudes are doing a great job.

As far as sponsors go, what about hitting up Utah's own Larry Miller? If I owned a car empire, a BBQ event might be a great promotional vehicle. Zion's Bank and/or country radio stations might be another idea. Heck, Micron might even bite.

Just brain-storming,
John
01-29-2008 09:24 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

Being a BYU cougar fan and a season ticket holder and knowing that this is going to be in Cougar Country, I was thinking that you should see if you could get Cosmo to come do an appearance. It would be a great way to get families to come to the event (especailly families that live in Utah County. BBQ and your kids get to come see Cosmo. With the Stadium of Fire being held at Lavell Stadium, they might just go for it, doesn't hurt to ask. If you can get Cosmo, you might suggest that he come with some posters and small footballs to hand out. You could also try for some sports teams or cheerleaders.

Other sponsers: Geneva Steal is a huge company in Utah County, they might donate some money.

You have Sundance and the Hebeer Creeper that might do something for you. One thing to consider is that prizes don't have to be just money. You might not get money, but maybe Sundance would give you 2 free nights at the resort and the Heber Creeper might give you 2 free dinner train rides. You could give that away with some prize money.

I'm just brainstorming too...

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
01-29-2008 09:49 PM
saflew Offline
KCBS Rep

I will research what we can do with sampling and selling of food to the public for this event. I will check with Utah County Health, and the Freedom Festival comities to see what can be done.

02-01-2008 03:07 PM
rjr23 Offline

Since I'm a UTE fan we should probably keep anything related to byu out of it Smile

8) Richard 8)
02-01-2008 10:33 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Sorry to say that if you want to keep BYU out of this, then you picked the wrong location and during the wrong time of year. Stadium of Fire is a huge thing for BYU. BYU will be well represented during this week throughout Provo. But just cause you are such a nice guy, I will bring you some Elton John type glasses with red lenses. Everything that weekend will be blue, but you will see it red Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
02-03-2008 01:28 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Now children,
How about as it'll be summer (almost) then and most students have gone back to where they came from then, let's can the petty "my school's better than yours". :roll: This'll be a BBQ contest not a Red vs Blue sporting event. Personally, I maintain neutrality. #1 son graduated from USU, #2 from U. Wyo. #3 works @ BYU. I went to Utah Tech, as it was called back then, when most of you were grade schoolers.
Don't make this ol' man make you go fetch a willow for your education out behind the wood shed. :evil:
02-04-2008 07:59 AM
rjr23 Offline

I won't need the glasses I will just wear UTE red.

8) Richard 8)
02-04-2008 08:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Juding App for July 4th Stars and Stripes BBQ Blaze 2PigsSmokinB 17 3,925 07-01-2008 08:13 AM
Last Post: 2PigsSmokinB