Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
All Around Comp
no1plumber Offline
Banned

All Around Comp
I was just thinking. :shock: I thought that it would be fun to have a party/comp where we all got together and everyone cooked a meal starting with Appitizers, Dinners, sides and Desserts. All having to be cooked in your smokers on site. Then we could all sit around and sample each others fair. We could make it into a comp or just have fun. The food could be anything not just the comp meats.
I would be willing to have it at my home. I have 1 1/2 acres of trees and grass. It even has a orchard with some fruit trees.(No stealing wood) I was thinking early spring. What do you think?
11-01-2007 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Re: All Around Comp
Sounds like a lot of fun if you don't mind a newbie giving it a try.

Doug
11-02-2007 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Vic,

I really like that idea -- a spring opening, laid-back meat & greet. It would also be a great opportunity to watch and learn as well. I bought a second WSM a few months ago and I would love to learn how to cook something besides meat. Big Grin

Count me in!!

Incidently, you shouldn't have mentioned the stealing wood part though, (borrowing on a no return basis), I just bought a new chainsaw and it's really quiet. :twisted:

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
11-02-2007 08:41 AM
Brian Offline

Hey Doug

Newbies are always welcome. we were all Newbies at one time.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-03-2007 05:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Thanks Brian. Good to know. I would love the chance to get to meet some other BBQ lovers.

Doug
11-03-2007 10:14 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Everyones always welcome. The more the merrier.
11-03-2007 07:52 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I think this is a great idea...
I too would love to try something other then ribs and such...
I would love to try a few different pizza's.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
11-03-2007 08:10 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

"Mmmm pizza" H. Simpson
I've done pizzas b/4, taste good, they do. I've put the old blakpots in my Traeger and cooked stuff that way too. Hey, heats' heat regardless of the source. (Long as it ain't a gasser) :wink: Gassers' are ok, for seasoning your dutch ovens. IMHO. Don't stink up the house like it would if you put them in mommas oven.
11-04-2007 07:53 AM
Unregistered

Hey, Vic...

Hoochie will make every effort to be there... Just set the date... And I promise you won't even notice that missing fruit tree afterwards... :wink:

IMHO, developing a yearly "program" of well thought out and well organized "local" events/get-togethers ("local" being defined as "within 1-3 hours driving time" for most of us) is pretty critical to the success of any attempt at "organized BBQ" here or anywhere else... They need to get on a calendar as early as possible for everyone to see and know about - be given full support/promotion on the website - and, of course, be well attended by as many "members" as possible...

They also need to be diverse... The UBBQA saw a nice increase in "comps" this year compared to it's inaugural year... But not everyone is into "competing", and we need to do a little better job of remembering that... I am certain there are quite a few folks who would just like to get together... Put a face with a name... And do a little cooking and/or just have an opportunity to "watch and learn"... Laugh a little, learn a little, grow a little...

Thanks, Vic, for stepping up to host something like this...

Hoochie 8)

(BTW - did you get my email recently regarding the John Deere? Sent it to your email address at work... Just wanted to make certain you knew after over a year I finally sent it to you!! LOL!!)
11-05-2007 04:10 AM
Quote this message in a reply