Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow Joe's BBQ Review
phatch Offline

Slow Joe's BBQ Review
I gave Slow Joe's a try today.

Upon opening the door, no wave of smoke enveloped me. That's not always a bad sign but it's not usually a good sign.

I belly up to the counter and peruse the menu. And choose the Hungry man combo for $9.95 3 ribs, 3 riblets and a hotlink. 1 side. 1 side is a bit skimpy I think to myself.

Then the horror began. They lift the lid on the steam table and pale yellow tan ribs appear speckled with pepper. Same for the riblets. At least the hot link was red. Thye want to sauce them at the counter and you have extra sauce at the table. I wanted it on the side and to sample the different sauces. The counter help squirted me some of the Carolina sauce in a a mini cup as that's not one of the table sauces.

The sides had clear lids over their bays. Looking through the lids, the coleslaw looked like the safest bet. 1 side it will be then.

It was like a church dinner nightmare. Boiled and steamed meat dressed with mediocre sauce. There had been no prep done to the ribs. Silverskin was intact, no trimming of excess fat or other quality adjustments. It tasted like a steamed rib--not a good thing. Riblets were treated same way with the same poor results. The hotlink had been only boiled. No visit to a grill as a final touch before serving. The mild sauce is an exaggeration to be called mild. Meek and lowly more like it. The Hot wasn't hot either, but was a step up in flavor from the Mild. The coleslaw was weak too.

The high point of the meal was the Carolina sauce, it was actually the best Carolina style sauce I've had. Vinegary and a bit of heat it had some supporting flavors as well, something not traditional to carolina style sauces. But I liked it.

It was a new low in barbecue and not deserving of the name barbecue. Except for the Carolina sauce.
10-20-2007 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Re: Slow Joe's BBQ Review
Thanks for passing on your review. Now I don't have to go waste money repeating your experience.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-22-2007 07:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

They are really giving my team name a black eye :shock: :lol:
On the serious side, is it Slow Joe's BBQ or Slow Joe's BBQ Co.?

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-22-2007 07:04 PM
Cyclops Offline

I smell a team name change coming in the near future!!!
10-22-2007 11:29 PM
Swine Steward Offline

Certainly doesn't sound like the Slow Joe ribs I've been lucky enough to sample.
10-22-2007 11:33 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Cyclops;p="6321 Wrote:I smell a team name change coming in the near future!!!

They have a Team :shock: :shock: :shock: I wonder what they will change their name to :?: :?: I hope your sniffer ain't broke and they do plan on changing their name Smile
Thanks for the ego boost John, I need it after the last couple rib turn ins I've had

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-23-2007 07:38 PM
Swine Steward Offline

I think we need a Bobby Flay type throwdown between the two. The winner keeps the name.
10-25-2007 07:28 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

O.K. I'm game.....course they have a little more to lose so I think it might be a hard sell Smile

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-28-2007 04:37 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Where are these folks located? Not in the Gem State I'm guessing.
10-29-2007 10:06 AM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

Gene;p="6346 Wrote:Where are these folks located? Not in the Gem State I'm guessing.

Gene...you talkin bout me?? I was next to you in Star. I had the FE, the red Trailer, and gave you some Bear Mountain Pellets. I hope it's the Slow Joe's in SLC you're wondering about Smile Smile

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-29-2007 04:41 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Nah, I knew it wasn't you. I was wondering where the other place was. Salt Lick is fair size community. Course if I was to wander that way for Q it'd be Ts' direction.
10-29-2007 06:42 PM
Sliverslinger Offline

phatch,

Working in down town SL, I always try the new Q places. Your review was spot on. I wish I had tried the carolina sauce, so I had something good to say. I went 4 or 5 months ago and have not, nor will I be going back. There are a few other places that are a lot better down here where I can get my fix. Speaking of which, last week I made it over to "T's" place again and finally had the chance to meet him. One heck of a nice guy with some great food. I was even lucky enough to get to sample some of his competition brisket. That boy knows his stuff. I don't think I would even bother taking mine out of the smoker if that boy was around. Well, only if I could get tips on doing it better. I all for learning. Thanks again T. Jake
04-21-2008 04:31 PM