Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib
Crazy Cajun Offline

Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib
I am thinking a little ahead. I was considering a smoked Prime Rib for Christmas or New Years.
Anybody have any experience with one of these expensive hunks of meat. I have done the "big bird" thing a few times and was just thinking about something a little different.

I am open to any ideas, even if its not a Prime Rib

What do you guys think? Anybody got a winner out there?

Thanks to all.

C.C.

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
10-17-2007 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyclops Offline

Re: Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib
Cajun, just go back to your roots. Get a big pot, put it on the same fire you make your "shine" with, fill it half full of motor oil (5w) and stick that there roast in it for OH, say an hour or two. :twisted: :twisted:
10-17-2007 07:43 PM
Cyclops Offline

OK, seriously, I use a fairly "hot" rub because the meat certainly can handle it. The most important thing is to manage the IT of the meat. How large will dictate how long, and it can take a long time at 225 degrees. I pull mine at 135degrees and let it rest for at least 45 minutes before I carve it. That should give you a good rare cut through the middle 2/3 of the meat. 150 degrees will give you a medium middle and well done end cuts. Anything over that, cut it into little chunks and use it to fatten your New Years Hog! Just remember that you should care about the girth not the length. (man, that sounded just wrong!) :oops:
10-17-2007 07:52 PM
Unregistered

Ca-jun...

Get with T... He has a method for deep-frying a prime rib he says is fantastic... Think he used to do it using a empty beer keg cut in half, a propane turkey cooker, oil, and some sort of metal rod running through the prime rib... Again, get with him on the specs... He swears by it...

Hoochie 8)
10-17-2007 08:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Kevin - I love classic cooking as much as BBQ. First you need a good savory non-BBQ rub.

1 1/2 Tbs Kosher salt
2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried bay leave
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried sage

The day before cooking, coat the roast with vegetable oil and rub the roast with the seasoning. Put in a large Ziploc and refrigerate.

Remove the roast from the fridge about 4 hours before you plan to start roasting, sprinkle liberally with Worcestershire sauce, return to the Ziploc and let sit on the counter.

Make a nice thick bed (at least 1/2 inch) of mirepoix (1/3 each of chopped celery, onion and carrot) in the bottom of a heavy metal roasting pan.

Preheat your oven to 500*.

Put the roast on a roasting rack, or on top of a mound of the mirepoix, and roast at 500* for 20 minutes.

Reduce the oven to 325*, and continue roasting until the internal temperature reaches 130* (15-20 minutes per pound).

Remove the roast from the pan, tent with foil and set aside to rest at least 15 minutes.

While the roast is resting, make the Au Jus by straining the pan juices and skimming off any fat.

Place the roasting pan on stove top burners over high heat.

Add the strained pan juices, 3 cups beef broth, and 1/2 cup red wine.

Scrape up any of the brown bits (fond) left in the pan.

Reduce until there is about 1 1/4 cup of liquid left.

Whisk in 4 tablespoons of butter.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Slice, serve and enjoy!

I hope this helps,
John
10-17-2007 11:33 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Patio Daddio, I'm sitting here drooling in my bowl of shredded wheat reading your post. Man that sounds good. Never done a PR before, I think it's time. I believe T posted that deep fried prime rib last Nov-Dec.
10-18-2007 06:27 AM
Jeff Offline

I have done prime rib in my WSM many times & the family loves it.
I use the recipe on The Virtual Weber Bullet called "Prime Rib - Herb Crusted."
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html">http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html</a><!-- m -->

It is really easy & turns out a delicious prime rib. I just coat the meat with the herb paste (ingredients listed below), cook it in my smoker at approx 350 degrees to 5 -10 degrees below the final internal temperature that you want to achieve, and then take it out & let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting.
The residual heat in the meat will cause the internal temp to rise 5-10 degrees during the resting period.
I usually buy a rib eye roast at Costco to do this.

Herb Paste For Standing Rib Roast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1-1/2 Tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Mix all ingredients to make a paste.
10-18-2007 08:20 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

You've got that right Jeff!! that is the only way I have done them. Fresh herbs,not dried, is the key to this, but be sure to have a small food processor or grinder to chop them!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-22-2007 10:24 AM
Jeff Offline

PackerBacker;p="6312 Wrote:You've got that right Jeff!! that is the only way I have done them. Fresh herbs,not dried, is the key to this, but be sure to have a small food processor or grinder to chop them!

Dave

It's funny you should mention that Dave.
After my wife got through chopping all of the fresh herbs & garlic for the paste this last time, she said "I should have just used the food processor!" :shock:
We'll do it that way from now on.
10-22-2007 10:50 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I did the same my first time :oops: That rosemary is a B#@CH to chop!

Keep in mind that those quantities are for a 3 rib roast, so adjust them for a larger roast. I also agree with Cyclops and his "girth" theory :shock: IMHO is if you have a large roast,(6-7 bone) and you have very few guest that request the "BOOT LEATHER" version of this fine piece of meet. I then cut the roast in half, I found, (well JayBird help with this) that you dont over cook the ends of the roast trying to get the middle section to temp, just a thought

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-22-2007 11:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques Pegleg 7 802 12-16-2013 07:44 PM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs
  The Best Prime Rib tipsforBBQ 5 2,803 03-06-2012 12:37 AM