Posting Freak

Re: Competition Cooking Class by QN4U
Ya, what Samson said :!: :!:
01-06-2008 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I'm Ready and waiting. Count me and my spouse in.
01-06-2008 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThomEmery Offline

Well worth the $250 when your walking up fer that trophy
01-06-2008 08:23 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Any further news on this class?
01-10-2008 07:40 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

I spoke with Brent a couple hours ago and he was in a meeting. He should be calling me back tonight, and I should have a date set. I hope. The man's busy and in demand! Smile

As soon as I have a date, we'll put out a registration form.

The class ain't cheap, but less costly than others and definitely worth it.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-10-2008 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Okay, just got off the phone with Brent.

We're set for April 19, 2008!

First opportunities will be offered to UtahBBQA paid members, and a week later to the general membership.

I'll be working on a registration form now and will post as soon as it's done.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-10-2008 09:35 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Paid membership??? I didn't realize there was such an option. How do I sign up? And can I sign up in time to get in on the first wave of class registrations?
01-10-2008 09:37 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

That brings up a good subject Joe, are our memberships annual and if so isn't it about time to renew, it seems like it was about this time last year that I sent in my stuff, don't remember exactly...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
01-11-2008 12:06 AM
BBQSki Offline

I believe there is a "download an application" link on the home page. I proudly signed up just a few months ago. Great organization
01-11-2008 08:52 AM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Joe I also need to know if its time to renew. Were we suppose to receive anything with our sub.scription. Member card. I never received anything the last time.
01-11-2008 09:36 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

Yeah, I gotta tell you I really dropped the ball on a lot of things, especially the membership packs. I'd love it if we had a committee or something to take that over, because I do feel bad about not doing more on that front...

Anyway, yes, they were meant to be annual, but because I haven't done anything, I won't consider anyone "expired" at this point.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-11-2008 09:56 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

SmokinJoe;p="7149 Wrote:Yeah, I gotta tell you I really dropped the ball on a lot of things, especially the membership packs. I'd love it if we had a committee or something to take that over, because I do feel bad about not doing more on that front...

Anyway, yes, they were meant to be annual, but because I haven't done anything, I won't consider anyone "expired" at this point.

I think that I found the application. $50 for the family, right???

I would be willing to help out as needed on the membership stuff if you would like.
01-11-2008 09:58 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

no1plumber;p="7148 Wrote:Joe I also need to know if its time to renew. Were we suppose to receive anything with our sub.scription. Member card. I never received anything the last time.

I would like to know too, Hey Jay?? I think you and I signed up just a few weeks apart? Also Joe you said class is limited to 25 is that 25 people or teams with each member of the team paying $250 or in my case Dana $25, I would think its 25 teams regardless of team size

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-11-2008 10:02 AM
SmokinJoe Offline

25 "teams", but a "team" is either one cook, or one cook and spouse. The biggest team would be 2 people, like a married couple because Brent and Kim actually try and foster getting your Spouse involved.

So, you sign up for $250, and Dana can get in for $50. But you can't add a member to your team for $50 - only a spouse.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-11-2008 10:13 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I'd be willing to help out on the membership stuff also. Let me know what I can do...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
01-11-2008 12:56 PM
ThomEmery Offline

SmokinJoe;p="7153 Wrote:25 "teams", but a "team" is either one cook, or one cook and spouse. The biggest team would be 2 people, like a married couple because Brent and Kim actually try and foster getting your Spouse involved.

So, you sign up for $250, and Dana can get in for $50. But you can't add a member to your team for $50 - only a spouse.

When we did the Chris Lilly Class He said
"I know this is California but Husband and Wife, a man and a woman"
01-11-2008 06:07 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

SmokinJoe;p="7133 Wrote:First opportunities will be offered to UtahBBQA paid members, and a week later to the general membership.

OK, Memberhsip application and dues in the mail today. Now I just wait for the class registration. Thanks for your hard work on this Joe.
01-12-2008 10:14 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

A man and a woman as spouses, together. I like that concept!
01-12-2008 10:58 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Gene;p="7193 Wrote:A man and a woman as spouses, together. I like that concept!

Hey Joe, is that in our Bi-laws :roll:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
01-12-2008 11:24 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Any update on either this class or the status of the one-man-one-woman marriage laws in Utah.
01-20-2008 12:05 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

A legal union in Utah is still a man and a woman. What's up with the class also :?:
01-21-2008 09:56 AM
Unregistered

I would think more information will be coming soon...

I just wanted to toss my "$.02" in here regarding this class... Not only does a big "THANKS" need to go out to Joe (and perhaps others) for making/taking the time to try to make this happen... But your support for a class like this is needed as well...

I haven't spoken to Joe as such... But I would think he has had to go way out of his way in the first place to begin to make something like this happen... And it is a lot more than just making a few phone calls, folks... Joe (and others??) have gone out there and rustled up one of the better teams out there on the BBQ competition circuit to come help "raise our BBQ IQ" considerably... When you are the caliber of a QN4U, you have plenty of "opportunities" on your plate besides taking time to come to Utah to work with a bunch of knotheads like us... So I hope everyone will truly and fully appreciate what Joe has gone out and done... It appears to me that in organized "anything" these days, there is just a little too much "Little Red Hen" out there... We all want to "eat the bread" - but don't want to get too much more involved than that... So taking the time to not only drop Joe a note of thanks - but to see what you might be able to do to help him from this point forward - I am certain woud be greatly appreciated...

But secondly - and perhaps more importantly - this event needs your support... If you can read this, and live in UT/ID/CO/WY/NV - well, you need to be thinking "I AM GOING TO BE THERE..." Period... None of this "Well, maybe I will try to go... You know, $250 is just an awful lot of money... I don't know... Maybe... I'll have to see... Gonna have to check with my wife (husband)...." Yada yada yada yada... There is plenty of time to start sticking back some bucks for this kind of event... Heck, some of you will spend that much and/or more on beer and fishin' stuff between now and then... Cut back just a little on a few things here and there, and you will most likely have the money in no time...

I think the other big thing here is the education each and every person remotely interested in BBQ can/will receive from an event like this... You just don't get very far in this ol' world without a little education every now and then... Sure, you can talk to your friends/buddies.... Read a little in a book or two... Search for some tips on the internet or in a chat room... And/or get out there and stub you big toe several (or many) times trying to "figure it out on your own"... Or you can "wise up", pay for a little education - and make your life just a little easier and/or more enjoyable... And this is true whether we are talking job/careers or what we like/want to do with our "recreation" time...

I think it was Albert Einstein who once quipped, "Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again and expecting different results." If you want to see your Queing experience get better, you can keep "stubbing your toe" - or you can acclerate your learning/experience/enjoyment curve by jumping into a class like the one Joe has worked hard to bring here... I hope each of you "still thinkin' " will get off "dead center", start tossing a few bucks back here and there, and attend this class this Spring...

Dr. Mike
01-21-2008 11:47 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Well spoken Dr. Mike.
01-21-2008 11:52 AM
Jaybird Offline

Well said Mike. We know Brent and Kim very well and we don't know any of their secrets. They won't even let us take the class!! We are all a pretty secretive bunch. But in this class they will tell you and show you what they really do in comps. It is worth every cent and more.

But I'm hoping nobody takes this class!!! :twisted:

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-21-2008 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Jay -

Unlike a lot of the rest of us, I don't know if there is much left to teach you and Monica anymore anyways - is there? :wink:

Anyways - I am looking forward to taking a class from you and Monica someday, too!! That is, if you will let someone beside that cheese-headed cousin of Monica's up in Boise be in attendance... 8)

Dr. Mike
01-21-2008 01:19 PM
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poultry Cooking Class bbqpitstop 5 959 11-05-2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: bgreenlee
  Competition BBQ 101 Class Big Johnson's BBQ 15 2,148 08-15-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Cooking Class!!! Lotta Bull BBQ- Mike Davis Update!!! LoneStar Smoke Rangers 0 775 01-24-2012 10:34 PM
Last Post: LoneStar Smoke Rangers