Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Competition Cooking Class by QN4U
Jaybird Offline

Re: Competition Cooking Class by QN4U
Well Mike like they say...'There's always room for improvement'. I don't think anybody really stops trying to improve. I'm afraid to stop! With all these classes you have to stay up on things or get left in the dust.

We have been thinking of a WSM 101 class. Something to get newbies started on the right track whether they compete or not. Maybe we'll persue sometime and see if there's enough interest.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-21-2008 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

Jaybird;p="7363 Wrote:We have been thinking of a WSM 101 class. Something to get newbies started on the right track whether they compete or not. Maybe we'll persue sometime and see if there's enough interest.

I know I would be very interested in this class.
01-21-2008 02:21 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I just wanted to throw out my feedback regarding this and future cooking classes.

I will be honest; I am frustrated with the one man team rule unless it is a spouse. A big reason that folks want to go to this class is to be able to learn more for BBQ competitions (in fact that was the selling point for this class from the beginning). Yet we are not able to come to the class as a BBQ team. Now I know that some teams are husbands and wives but not all teams. I also understand that a 2 man team can come if they both pay $250, both provide their own meat and both provide their own grill and gear. Some teams only have one grill and equipment for the team, not for each team member. At competition we work as teams not individuals. We work the same meat on the same grill. I guess I am just frustrated because I had been looking forward to this class since it first posted months ago. I wish it would have been communicated as a great class for one man teams or husband and wives that cook together.

Can we work on getting a class put together sometime soon that is geared towards teams learning to improve their skill at competitions?

And thanks for letting me vent, I’m good now! Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
01-21-2008 02:21 PM
Jaybird Offline

I think you bring up an interesting point Dave. All bbq classes( no matter the teacher) in the U.S. are set up this way. Hummmmm

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-21-2008 02:40 PM
BBQSki Offline

I think another reason all the cooking classes don't have a "team" admission price is because its hard to figure out who is and is not really a team member. (For example, to save $250, I join TDQ's team for the day of the class). In don't think someone would get married to save some money on the class. :shock:
01-21-2008 03:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SmokinJoe Offline

Tour de Que;p="7326 Wrote:Any update on either this class or the status of the one-man-one-woman marriage laws in Utah.

Class is a sure thing, April 19. Can't do anything about the laws, nor do I intend to try. Smile

Just waiting on a little clarification about some things, and a logo from Brent and I'll make everything available.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-21-2008 04:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

SmokinJoe;p="7376 Wrote:Just waiting on a little clarification about some things, and a logo from Brent and I'll make everything available.

Thanks for the update. I'm very excited and have my check ready to go when the registration opens. Keep us posted.
01-21-2008 04:55 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Thanks, Hoochie.

One thing I should mention, just to be fair to all, is that once the folks with paid memberships have had a chance to sign up, it then becomes a "first come, first served" situation. If you intend on making the class, sign up fast because this will be the only one in the region for that time period. The class will be open to anyone interested in taking it. That means that if someone from Texas or some such place gets their registration and class fees in before you do, well...y'know?

I hope to have the Registration forms up soon. When I do, I will announce it to the paid members first. It will be all theirs for 2 weeks. After that, we'll announce on the forum here, and then 2 weeks after that, it will be open to all.

We will be limited to a specific number of teams. However, if there is overwhelming response, Brent said something may be worked out. We'll just have to see...

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-21-2008 05:04 PM
SmokinJoe Offline

Infamous Dave;p="7367 Wrote:I am frustrated with the one man team rule unless it is a spouse. <snip> I wish it would have been communicated as a great class for one man teams or husband and wives that cook together.

Believe me, I can understand the frustration. However, there are very few classes, seminars, trade shows, whatever, that are set up in the manner that you (we?) wish they were. I've got a training to go to later in the year for work that will be $750. Doesn't matter if I sign up with someone else from my company. Still gonna cost the same.

The most simple explanation for this is in Brent's own words; "Each person will gain the same knowledge". The reason for the spouse discount was to encourage spouses to get involved, not as a price break for bringing an additional person.

As for the wish that this had been communicated sooner? Look at the first post in this thread from back on October! It said $250 per person. Not team. Didn't even mention spouses. No other meaning than $250 per person, period, was implied, nor should it have been inferred.

I don't have the $250 to take this class in the first place, but I will try not to pass up this opportunity.

-joe

Get your smoke on...
01-21-2008 05:15 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

I think the biggest reason is that a spouse will probably not leave the team and start their own team. Where someone else could say they are a team just to get the discount and then go on and become their own team.
What would stop Gene from saying that he is a member of Hi I Que and get the discount. (other than he is to honest to do such a thing) Do you see what I mean.
01-21-2008 06:54 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Apparently I didn't get my point across...
And it isn't a big deal other then several have commented on my post and I don't want to be misunderstood. The issue I was trying to make was more then the $250 (in fact that really isn't the issue at all).
It's supplying your own grill and supplies.
I mean if a team of 3 guys has one grill but you have to bring your own grill to the calss then only one person from the team can participate.
I understand that they want all who come to the class to pay, they are sharing their knowledge and want all who receive it to pay for it, I get that. I'm just new to all of this and in my mind I had pictured something else, not a big deal.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
01-22-2008 09:48 PM
elkski Offline

I would be interested in this class and the wife would come. Tell me when the left over tags are available...
Yes the elkski is still cookin.

Team Smoke-n-Mirrors or is that Smoke-n-Beers
02-05-2008 06:50 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

What's going on with ya Elkski? Man it's god to see ya post dude, been wondering about ya, and it's good to here that you are still cooking. Have you used your dutch oven that you won yet?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
02-05-2008 06:56 PM
elkski Offline

I haven't seasoned my cooker yet but sure will. A buddy cooked some ribs in his a few weeks ago.. He put in to much liquid so the smoke didn't take to the meat but the design looks like a winner... I plan on using it on camping trips where I dont want to take the WSM. I think of you often T.. Like the other week where I ahd a bad jonesing for some Que and stopped in for a rack of babys at good wood... What a mistake that was.. At least they had a good beer and the snf game on. while I waited for my to go order. very dry and no meat.. a whole rack didn't even dent me.
02-05-2008 07:49 PM
elkski Offline

oops I was mistaken I only got the 14" DO.. my buddy had one of those cooking cone ones with the trays and it looked like you could make a smoker out of it.
02-05-2008 07:54 PM
pitbulls Offline

Sorry I can't make the class have to work can members stop on by to see whats up
03-27-2008 04:07 PM
gene01 Offline

Infamous Dave;p="7367 Wrote:I just wanted to throw out my feedback regarding this and future cooking classes.

I will be honest; I am frustrated with the one man team rule unless it is a spouse. A big reason that folks want to go to this class is to be able to learn more for BBQ competitions (in fact that was the selling point for this class from the beginning). Yet we are not able to come to the class as a BBQ team. Now I know that some teams are husbands and wives but not all teams. I also understand that a 2 man team can come if they both pay $250, both provide their own meat and both provide their own grill and gear. Some teams only have one grill and equipment for the team, not for each team member. At competition we work as teams not individuals. We work the same meat on the same grill. I guess I am just frustrated because I had been looking forward to this class since it first posted months ago. I wish it would have been communicated as a great class for one man teams or husband and wives that cook together.

Can we work on getting a class put together sometime soon that is geared towards teams learning to improve their skill at competitions?

And thanks for letting me vent, I’m good now! Smile

I for one think you learn a lot more and can bring more back to your team working individually, if you all work together, you are only working on the one item that one person feels is most important at the time, if you work seperate of one another, you will each have a different perspective... I have taken many classes over the years, learned a lot, missed a lot... Brent and Kim are 2 of the finest competitors that I know... 2 of the nicest people I know too.... Hey Jay, think you should hold a class next, you are at the top of the game too.....
04-02-2008 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poultry Cooking Class bbqpitstop 5 956 11-05-2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: bgreenlee
  Competition BBQ 101 Class Big Johnson's BBQ 15 2,144 08-15-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Cooking Class!!! Lotta Bull BBQ- Mike Davis Update!!! LoneStar Smoke Rangers 0 770 01-24-2012 10:34 PM
Last Post: LoneStar Smoke Rangers