Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hyrum '08
Infamous Dave Offline

Gene sounds like a winner...
Count me in!

The rangers judging also sounds like fun!

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
11-01-2007 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brian Offline

Re: Hyrum '08
below third could be a ribbon in a small event and maybe a gift certificate to a local store such as Sportsman warehouse or a pizza certificate. These kinds of things were offered at Fire, Water and Ice. Still pretty cool to get a call and anything to show for it. The credit for the awards at Fire Water and Ice need to go to T and all those who organized that event. I think they had some great ideas to consider for future events.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
11-01-2007 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Count me in, Gene. I would like to help put this event together if you need me to. Well Kristina and I are driving to Georgia next week to pick up our new Lang Model 84. I hope the learning curve for this new pit is gentle on a rookie like me.
11-01-2007 08:29 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Which 84 are you getting? When can us Cache Valley residents can swing by your work for some samples? I won't divulge the address, (gotta keep the outsiders away). :lol:
11-02-2007 02:56 AM
Unregistered

I'm getting the "original" 84 without the warming box. Most of the manufacturers of the cookers I was looking at told me that it really wasn't worth the extra $700 to have. They said temp. control was an issue. Can I have any input on this topic? Is it worth having a warming box and what are the advantages? I would hate to travel so far and wish I would have done something different in the future.
As for you, Gene, just look for that beauty parked out on the road in front of our shop. Because if it is parked there, then you will know that good things are happening, and I would be terribly offended if your pretty green truck didn't stop in!! That's an open invitation, good buddy. That goes to the other 2 people in Cache Valley that BBQ, also.
11-02-2007 08:47 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Cherry Peak BBQ, we have a two members that have the model 60 and one with the warming box the model 84 I believe it's Smoker Express. You might PM him and asked about your concerns. Oh, remember the team that was in Hyrum that was set up on the end and the gentleman managed a ChuckArama I believe they were the Smoking Burton's contact him he has an 84. On Showtime I have a warm box or oven if you will but, I cater and have a need for it. This is wear your question is? What if you get happy and really get into it like I have seen some do and get into catering because you have the unit to do so [why not] and then wish that you had gotten it. Now my friend the issue of temperature control. I know others out of the state that own them and I'll tell you what I've told others you guys will have no problem making the transition from what you cooked on, and by no means is that a put down. I was really impressed with your placing in both events that you cooked in this year, I have seen cooks that have started out with the same model cookers and get discouraged but not you man, you got it down my friend. I congratulate you for electing to keep the art of a true stick burner alive. Hope this helps?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITON
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
11-02-2007 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, Cherry... cool on the new smoker, pm me when you get back, i'd love to come and see it. a model 60 with warmer is on our very, very short list that we are looking at. the biggest holdup for us tho is that trip to the other side of the world to pick it up. as you probably know shipping is out of the question...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-02-2007 02:22 PM
Unregistered

You're in luck, Sampson. I am also bringing back a model 60 for my brother-in-law. You're welcome to peek at that one, too.
11-02-2007 04:23 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Well Marc,
Have a safe trip. Coming from a pellet user and seeing the pics of the Langs, IF I were to back slide from a Traeger, which I won't, I'd get a Lang WITH the upright chamber. More space = more goodies = more $$. So what, ya can't take it with ya! :lol: See ya when you return. Or call me, you have my #. Have fun.
Gene
11-02-2007 04:35 PM
BBdoesQ Offline

Hey Cherry Peak,

The warming box is a great. You can use it as a warmer or a steamer to finish ribs. It does keep a good heat to warm. You can use the lower shelf and it helps to keep the meat tender and warm. At Hyrum I used it to hold my pork and took thrid.

If you look on the Lang web site you can see my smoker in front of the Golden Corral in Layton. We used it for a year or so at the restaurant and cooked a lot of ribs and held them in the warmer. If I were buying a new one I would make sure to get the warmer. It gives you even more room to hold meat.

I have only had one problem with my smoker, in the firebox you will need a new grate for the wood to sit on. The one that came with mine did not last very long. I had a friend that had an old coal stove grate that works great.

If you need help or hints e-mail me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:bjburtonsr@aol.com">bjburtonsr@aol.com</a><!-- e -->.

You will love this smoker Big Grin Big Grin

Make sure to pack the smoker full of wood while you are Q land.

BBdoesq

Most people don't understand :?
KCBS Certified Judge
11-05-2007 08:48 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey CP,
Probably ought to fill the back of the truck also.
11-06-2007 09:30 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

This post got astray a bit from the original intent. Back tracking some. I just got off the phone with Lee and he is all stoked up about the contest this coming May. His replacement and I will be hooking up in a week or so to iron out some details. A few of you close by folks may want to chip in your .02 cents also. Now it looks like we'll meet on the 17th. Like a babies diaper however, it's subject to change. They'd really like this to be an annual event.
They have a DVD put together with the contest from May on it. It'll be a handout like a pamphlet to guests. They're looking at a mass producer now. Stay tuned, more info later.
Gene
11-06-2007 03:49 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Everyone, Big Grin Sampson and I had a chat with Floyd Powell of Hyrum State Park yesterday afternoon about our contest in May. It is set for the 16th and 17th, 2008. No reservations will be required for camping, they will hold 20 spots on the grass for us, pay as you enter on the 16th. This is at most 200 ft to turn in vs 300 yds from this past May. We will all be in the area east of the large shower restroom facility. Trailers, motor homes ok. No permanent water, power or electrical hook ups are available however. He is going to lay some ground work with E.A. Miller, and we'll try to get them involved by donating 20 briskets and give a big blue ribbon, like their logo, for the 1st place brisket, much the same as was done in Star in Sept. Thanks to Dave, (Packer Backer) for that bit of inspiration. More to follow. Put that on your calendar!!
To all of you, from Brenda and myself, have a great Thanksgiving!!!
11-16-2007 07:41 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

We should also add that the spots that are reserved for us are the ones nearest where the judging tables, etc. were last year. Also, and I think this will help with food traffic, we are arranging to pay a special use fee that will allow everyone that wants to walk in to the park to do so for free. I think that last year the six dollars to get into the park to watch some folks cook was a little much for some folks. It was a really good meeting, the parks folks seem pretty darned enthused about it all. Personally, I can't wait...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-19-2007 04:05 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Sounds like its coming together! One question.... Will we be cooking in our camping spots or at another location? Either way I will be there! It was a great place, for the family to have a weekend get away. We may even go a day early just to hang out, and maybe do some fishing or site seeing :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-19-2007 05:29 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Cooking and camping in the same area. Hurry up May :!:
11-20-2007 12:20 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Hi all. I am a newbee over in Brigham City. I would be interested in giving a hand there in Hyrum. We have a camp spot about 3 miles from the State Park and are up there quite often. I have been reading these posts for a long time and would like to get involved. Let me know if you need more help.
11-26-2007 10:00 AM
Pegleg Offline

Welcome to the Association Dutch Dude,

We hope to see more of you here!! Big Grin

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
11-26-2007 10:44 AM
BBQSki Offline

Is this contest going to be KCBS sanctioned? Regardless, it sounds like a fun one.
11-26-2007 11:59 AM
Crazy Cajun Offline

Dutch,
As a fairly new guy to the group, I gotta say you are gonna love this bunch.
Hyrum was my first ever comp, last year, and a did chicken and ribs only.
I got a third in chicken and a sixth in ribs and have never been so proud!

Look forward to seeing you and I expect you will do something in one of those cast iron gagets for the Friday Night Pot Luck!

look forward to meetin you and yours

Welcome

Kevin Landry
the Crazy Cajun

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler
Certified KCBS Judge
11-26-2007 06:47 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hyrum will not be a sanctioned event. Just a friendly gathering with some competition tossed in. Like last year but a bit more cook friendly, as far as turn-in distance is concerned. Stay tuned for more details as they unfold.
11-26-2007 07:06 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Thanks for the kind words. I would be glad to cook something up in the 'ol black pot.
11-26-2007 07:23 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

All,
I mailed a letter to Mr. E.A. Miller asking if they, Millers beef, would be a sponsor and provide the briskets (20) for the event in May. Reply forthcoming. Will let you know as soon as I do.
Gene
01-12-2008 11:07 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hey, boys and girls out there in BBQ land. I need you to get out your calendars and mark the 16th and 17th of May for the 2nd Hyrum (Best Little City by a Dam Site) contest. I talked to Floyd at the Park today and they are all up for us. There's 18-19 spots reserved for us on the grass overlooking the water where we had the judging last year. Those of you that were there remember I'm sure.
I've not heard from Millers about the briskets yet.
The park would like a hard count for us camper-outers, trailers, motor coaches, etc. It's a ways off time wise, but it'll pass quickly. So let me know asap please. Thanks to all of you!!! Big Grin
Gene
01-25-2008 07:59 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Utah smoke is in with a motorhome. Way to go Gene!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Camp Chef sponsored

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
01-25-2008 08:56 PM