Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hyrum '08
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Hyrum '08
Ok, guys and gals, I've seen a couple of hints about Hyrum next Spring so I'll get the ball rolling. I will contact Swift Co. ne, E.A. Millers to see if they'd sponsor this and furnish the briskets. I'll contact the Park Ranger, Lee, and see if we can reserve the beach front real estate, :wink: on the grass, for the contest on the weekend PRIOR to Memorial Day weekend, and that will be the 16th & 17th of May, 2008. I'll contact Martys' distributing, (the Bud Man), and or Coke/Pepsi to see if they will cough up some $$. Thinking out loud now, is $1,000 for GC and $650 for RGC, and $250, $175, & $100 for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd meats a reasonable amount to shoot for? that's $3,750.00 dollars in prize $$ total. With a $150.00 entry fee. That's if I did the math right, and then if we get some sponsor $$ we could either lower the entrance fee or sweeten the pot. I'd vote for a lower entry fee.
Mark, Cherry Peak BBQ, and Randy, Norma Jeans BBQ and Sampson, Skinny Boys BBQ, I need ya'lls help with this project. This is a Cache Valley deal so we ought to step up to the plate and take charge, unlike the Yankees did. He He :lol:
Now a question for the hierarchy, how do we turn this into a KCBS sanctioned event?
10-10-2007 08:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Re: Hyrum '08
Gene, here's an idea I had while in Star when Cyclops was talking about how Sam's Club had stepped up to the plate with sponsorship. How about approaching the one here, maybe even to the point of holding it in their parking lot. That lot has tons of room on the southeast corner that is never used. Having it there would overcome the problem of poor attendance by the public. Wasn't there an event held in one of the Costco lots in SLC in the past that was pretty successful? Granted that Hyrum is a much more beautiful place to be, but isn't part of the idea to generate excitement in the community about Q? or am I off base on that part? If we do continue to go with Hyrum, what can we do to get more peeps to show up for it and what can we do to overcome the entrance fee to enter the park for those that do want to show up? Or do we just go with the idea of making it a "cooks" event, kind of a spring warm up for everyone and not worry about the public?

As for the prize money, it sounds great to me, I could use some extra cash. But if your math is right and the total would be $3750. Assuming that the entire prize fund was to come from entry fees, we would need 25 teams to sign up...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
10-10-2007 11:53 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

I couldn't agree with Sampson more.
I did not attend the event in Hyrum last year, but as someone who works in Marketing and Event Planning, I can not tell you how many companies are out there, willing to throw out some money to put their name on events that attract the public. And so for not only the event in Hyrum but any events, I think we need to do a good job at securing sponsers. There are the obvious companies that you would think of that go hand in hand with a BBQ (Sams, Coke, Miller Beef, Utah Pork, Weber Grills) but we also should work hard to find the companies that might just want to advertise or find a CEO that has a love of BBQ even though his campany has nothing to do with BBQ.

If you have different levels of Sponsership that works well. You may find a Sams that will give $1,000 plus the meat plus their parking lot. But not everyone can do that, by having different levels of sponsorship and each level gets the sponsor certain perks you don't turn away the small company that would have given $100.00 in return for his sign to hang up at the event and his name to appear on the flyers.

Sponsorship is a great way to keep entry costs down and payouts high. An event like that will attract more teams and more teams mean better events and more qualifing events. Big Grin

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
10-10-2007 01:20 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Dave you seem to have the knowledge of an organizer! All BBQ Associations need people to help out putting things together.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-10-2007 01:54 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

I am by no means saying that I think I could do things better then they are already being done. In fact the events that I have been to, I have been real impressed. I would love to help out whenever I can if I can be of service. I'm still just trying to learn the ropes. Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2007 04:12 PM
Flexo Offline

I am learning too, and while Ed was in Park City I learned a few things on putting on an event. If you can, get your even sanctioned early, so it will make it into the Bull Sheet. He said try to get it in by December this year. A good location helps, advertise, and get some sponsors.
There is some info on the KCBS web site that is helpful too.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2007 04:34 PM
Flexo Offline

Oh I forgot, get T and/or Joe involved. They have some great insights too, and are willing to help out!

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2007 04:36 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Infamous Dave;p="6221 Wrote:I am by no means saying that I think I could do things better then they are already being done. In fact the events that I have been to, I have been real impressed. I would love to help out whenever I can if I can be of service. I'm still just trying to learn the ropes. Smile

Dave, I didnt mean that you could do things better nor do they need to be done better, I was just saying that it sounded that you may have a nack for the skills needed to help out and put on an event. I myself just went through the long task of putting on the Idaho State Championship and deligation is the key to getting it done on time.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-10-2007 05:06 PM
Infamous Dave Offline

Dave,
I knew you didn't mean it that way, I wanted to make sure that when I offered to help people didn't think that a new guy to all of this thought that he could step in and do things better because I don't think that at all. I am new and learning but I am more than willing to help where I can. I would like to be involved as much as my job and family will allow.

Sorry for the confusion on the last post.
As everyone can tell I don't spend much time in chat rooms and such, I need to do better at clarifying my posts Smile

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-10-2007 06:43 PM
DOBBQ Offline
Account not Activated

Well, here is a stick in the beehive. What we have seen while traveling outside of Utah to judge and including R&R and Fire Water Ice, these events coincide with something designed to draw the public. imho Cooking BBQ is not generally a spectator friendly event for the non-competitor. Therefore it has been suggested and discussed in the past that if you want the public to attend, you need to give them more of a reason than simple curiosity. Friday night has generally kept the cooks busy with prep and the recently introduced potluck, while Saturday has you focussed on turn ins. By the time the lookiloos arrive cooks are generally packing up and preparing for awards and departure. So if you want more than just cooks to attend, you need to have some sort of event/entertainment to involve the public.

Examples:
Car Show
Craft Show & Sales
Local Carnival / Celebration

As was intimated in an earlier post, public visibility translates into bigger sponsorship. Last year this event was for fun and to get the season started while exposing Northern Utah the the way of the Q. So after injecting way more than two cents worth, there is a lot of wiggle room between where this event started and to where it can grow.

Thanks, just trying to help.
10-11-2007 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I totally agree, DOBBQ... Point very well made... Not very exciting for the public to watch us "rub our butts" on Friday night - or watching us getting rather panicky on Saturday morning around noon as we discover our chicken has burned or our brisket is still at 165 internal and still stiff as a board... :shock:

Finding additional ways to keep the public entertained is a "biggie" IMHO... Finding a way to let them enjoy/taste really good Que while there is a "biggie" to them as well - but that can be very dependent on the Health Dept in that area... IMHO we need to sit down and look at a way(s) to provide the public with a taste, appease the Health Dept, and not keep the cooks there and still cooking after turn-in's, considering they are generally past tired by that final 1:30 turn-in...

Hoochie 8)
10-11-2007 10:35 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

Hoochie,
I couldn't agree more with you on giving the public a taste. When people hear about a BBQ comp and that the public is invited it is assumed that there will be food to taste. Like you said, it's not exciting to watch somone rub some meat.
In Park City the chili booths had people coming by, buying and tasting chili, it was interactive. There was no interaction on the BBQ side. I will share an idea that I have had. What if at some of these comps we offered a lunch/taste test from 1:30-2:30. You have a caterer come in and do 2 or 3 sides and a roll and then the individual is handed 2 tickets that they take to the BBQ booths and each ticket gets them a meat choice. People can also buy just tickets if they want more meat or just meat. At 2:30 we close down the tasting portion of the event and each BBQ team can turn in the tickets that they have collected for a predetermined amount (say $1 per ticket). This would help recoup some of the expense that each team aquires to go to competition and it also allows the public to come to the event and taste the food.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-11-2007 11:23 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Another way to include the public...
When we advertise an event for the public, we should include a schedule.
Example:
BBQ comp Friday and Sat
Public invited Sat from 10am-5pm
10am-12pm come by and meet the teams, see what they cook on and ask questions about BBQ.
12-1:30 Teams are turning in meats please do not disturb, but you can watch. Also our peoples choice BBQ sauce comp. Taste and vote on your favorite BBQ sauce.
1:30-2:30 Lunch served- cost $8 includes 2 meat choices from our BBQ teams, 2 sides and a roll. Additional meat can be purchased for $2 a portion
3:30-4 Awards ceremony, public invited to see who wins the awards.

This is just an example of an idea (times and money amounts are just figures that I through out with no thought).

With something like this if I am interested in coming to a BBQ comp I know the times and activities and know what to expect. That way I can pick the time that most interests me to be there.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-11-2007 11:33 AM
Pegleg Offline

I thought I'd pass on to everyone that there three or four events currently in the works behind the scenes. There are meetings scheduled with organizers from various events to investigate the possibility of holding competitions in conjunction with their event. As soon as any of these come to fruition we will put the word out.

As T and I have been speaking, he had the idea of holding a comp in which we would invite gassers to compete in their own competition and just a one day event with a two meat category and possibly get sponsorship from companies that manufacture gas grills. How many of us started Qing with just a WSM or a cheap offset?? Not me!! T elaborated by saying that a comp such as this would generate an increased interest in BBQ and branch out the UBBQA and even having a page on this website for gassers as well. This may possibly entice some of those cooks to invest in non-gas cookers and even try their hand at competing in the future. I myself have a gasser that I haven't used in 6 months and is rotting on my deck -- but I got started with that and a cast iron smoker box.

One possible organizer asked me if a comp is held could locals participate -- I told him that we not only would allow it but we encourage it. Not all contests need to be sanctioned, there are activities and expenses that go on behind the scenes to get one sanctioned, sponsored and operating than meets the eye. A non-sanctioned comp can be held and operated just as effectively without the overhead expenses a sanctioned event would require. Believe me when I say that as a new member of the Board of Directors I have been taken to school and educated. Just because Joe & T haven't posted what they've done, I've seen them do more behind the scenes to get this association and the competitions operational than anyone could ever understand.

If anyone has ideas for events lets entertain them. Even if there is no possibility of an event, the local UBBQA members (if possible) could ask for donated space, display their cookers and answer questions about the association and what we are all about. The UBBQA is only two years old and look where it's at -- 2008 is going to be a GREAT year!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
10-11-2007 01:40 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Would there be willing participants from near and far to do this as a "fun" gathering with hardware up for grabs vs. the loot? I'm one for the KISS method of doing things. Oh, Keep It Simple Stupid, in case some were wondering.
10-12-2007 08:35 AM
Unregistered

I am fine with just hardware... Heck, I am fine with much of nothing... Some comps need/want to be a "bigger deal"... But IMHO, not all comps have to be a "big deal"... We need events that are serious - and we need those that are mostly for fun, and are good a "entry" for those wanting to learn how to get into the competition "game"... I realize a comp costs the cook some $$ - meat, fuel (wood, charcoal, etc), and travel expenses... And being able to stand the chance to recoup some of that is always nice... But most sports and hobbies cost something to do them... Golf, hunting fishing - they all cost something in terms of gear, equipment, travel expense, etc... And we generally don't come home with a check and a trophy when we go out fishing for the day (and if you are like me when fishing, you generally come home empty handed! :winkSmile...

Gene, ain't nothing wrong in my book with a comp that is KISS, and is just for the fun of it...

Hoochie 8)
10-12-2007 10:18 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

Gene,
I think that is a great idea, not every comp needs 25 teams or to be sanctioned. I like the idea to have the first one of the season to be more of a "friendly" comp. Kind of like a spring training.
I also like the idea of keeping the entrance fee at a low cost. This would be a great comp to "recruit" some folks to BBQ comps. Sometimes the idea of $125 plus the cost of meat and other items is expensive and for someone that has never done this before might keep them from trying.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-12-2007 10:31 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

I love the "gasser" idea. That's how I got started (notice my avatar). It's a nice easy way to learn about rubs and sauces and flavors without having to learn fire control at the same time. Besides, gassers (just like a Traeger) allow a fellow to watch the majority of his Nascar race without taking a chance on missing a good wreck. Another good reason to think about doing gassers up here in Logan is that Camp Chef now produces a smoker they call the "Vault" which is propane powered and in case anyone didn't know, they are headquartered here in Logan. They are also a sponsor for one of the top teams in the Utah BBQ arena. I gotta believe we could get them very involved up here...

KCBS Member and CBJ
10-12-2007 11:12 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That being said is some good food for thought. I still think I'll persue Millers to ante in the briskets if they will and make it a skoch bigger than last go'round but not much. I think all that participated had a great time. Didn't you Packer Backer? Et alia? Big Grin
10-12-2007 11:15 AM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

As with most things in life, there are two sides to the fence in this matter. I know if I had to vote on the subject, I would go with keeping this one fun and more of a "for the cooks" type of event. Last year was a real nice get to know everyone kind of event. I think it would be cool to have a no pressure type of cook that newbies and old timers could come to and show off what they can do. The small entry fee charged last year covered the cost of some decent trophies. We went with some nice cup style trophies and that I thought those that went home with them were real happy to have them on the mantle. We were also able to turn some of the monies left over last year to the local Habitat for Humanity group. I'm not real sure that they were all that appreciative or excited about the whole thing though. Maybe next year we could just put all of that money back into the event in some way. Such as bringing in someone to give a judges class. That way we might actually have enough certified judges for the upcoming year. From an advertising and promotion angle we could hit all the butchers, kitchen stores and restaurants challenging everyone that thinks they can do Q to come out and try there hand at a real deal competition.

On the other side of the fence... The Cache Valley is ready and primed for a much larger event I believe. But it would have to become much more public friendly. And by that I mean more readily accessible. Hyrum is kind of out of the way for most folks to just make a casual stop at. And then there is the park entry fee to still be considered. I don't believe that a few years ago I would have paid to get my car into an event where all I'm going to do is walk around and watch other people make smoke clouds. But put the whole thing in town, add a band and maybe a dutch oven event or craft fair and I think it would go over very well...

KCBS Member and CBJ
10-12-2007 11:34 AM
Infamous Dave Offline

Well Gene you are getting some great feedback and I think many are excited about Hyrum.
Here is another idea...
I understand that it is by the water...
Call it the Hyrum Surf and Turf -Spring Training.
Have 4 meats like a traditional comp and then have another catagory an open if you will. Invite booth types of fuel (gas and log) this one would be a Surf and Turf. You prepare one meat raised on land (example beef) and one raised in the water (example fish). They would be turned in together in one container and would be judged on each meat seperatly but also how well they go together and compliment each other. Presentation would be fun to work with 2 different meats in one container.
It should be an event that we get all new people to esspecially those that have thought of trying this but haven't.
On the judging side of things, I would like to get some feedback written from the judges. I don't just want a 4 score I want the 4 and then some feedback. THese ribs were the toughest that were tasted today hence the 4 score. (you get the idea)
And keep it fun!

There is another 2 cents from me.

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
10-12-2007 12:02 PM
Pegleg Offline

If you want written feedback from the judges during a "spring training" wouldn't you want it seperate from the cook with the gassers? I would think you would want your feedback session to be as close to a regular comp as you can. With that in mind, wouldn't it be more cost effective to cook at the class talked about in the spring?? You would probably get better feedback all the way around wouldn't you?

Just a thought,

Lyle
10-14-2007 08:10 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

"Mmmm BBQ" H. Simpson
Here we go!
Yeah, I tend to procrastinate a bit, :oops: but I get to it b/4 it's too late. :wink:
Ok, put this on your calendars, May 16 & 17 2008. Hyrum State Park. Reservations can be made starting on Jan. 25th. 2008 That's 16 weeks prior to the event. I just spoke to Lee Gyllenskog, the current Park Supervisor, who is retiring on Dec 31, but he plated this for his replacement. Any takers? I'm needing some helpers also. I'm thinking an ice breaker type event not a MiM or a Jack. The rangers want to judge seperately and offer up a weekend stay as a prize.
10-31-2007 11:17 AM
Brian Offline

While I was in Viejas I talked with quite a few of the teams that were not high on the hit parade of bbq. One of the things that was mentioned was that they liked the contests that "paid out" lower than third place. I just offer this as food for thought for future consideration at our events.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-31-2007 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

That could be done, I suppose, but where to draw the line? Top 5 in each category? Payouts would be less, but if we're doing a fun event, I guess that wouldn't matter so much. Good thought Brian.
11-01-2007 07:04 AM