Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lessons Learned 2007
Swine Steward Offline

Lessons Learned 2007
With the American Royal happening this weekend and the Jack starting in a few weeks it seems like the 2007 BBQ season is winding down. Looking back on this competition year lets ask the question: What did you learn this year that you'll change in your next competition outing?

For me it was two things:
1) Don't pack the thermometer probes, but leave the digital display at home. :oops:
2) You can't have too many disposable foil pans at a competition.
10-07-2007 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
truoc444 Offline

Re: Lessons Learned 2007
Here's my Lesson Learned.

When you cook more than one rack of Ribs you should go ahead and cut all 3 racks and turn in the best one not just cut the prettiest one and turn it in before cutting the other 2.

Southern Rootz BBQ...Because it's easier than saying I'm from Texas and only got stuck in Utah when my Car broke down
10-07-2007 12:13 PM
BBQSki Offline

Here's one I learned from the Star comp:

When giving a transient drunk a free piece of chicken, make sure your pretty turn-in rib box isn't near by -- that guy just might think its salad and try and have a piece with his chicken. (True story.)
10-07-2007 08:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Really?! Man, that is brutal. There were some seriously "interesting" folks walking the Star grounds after turn-ins. My favorites were the ones that showed up at my booth with empty styrofoam plates in hand and just stood there as if to ask for a sample, but never actually asked. At my booth they were left standing there empty-plated. If someone can't at least make an attempt at small talk, they go hungry. I'm not running a soup kitchen.

John
10-07-2007 09:17 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Lesson learned 2007, especially after a 8) Park City event, ( especially if you're a Traeger owner, user) if you think 40# of pellets are enough, take 80. Ya just never know. Smile
10-08-2007 03:50 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Ok.... I will throw mine in the mix :oops:

No matter how often or how many lbs of rub you have made,( I have made the same rub for a couple years now) always taste it before using it! When in dought, toss it in the trash! I doubled up on one spice Sad

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
10-08-2007 01:22 PM
Brian Offline

Dave,

Mine is along the lines you submitted. Sauce is susceptible to the same error. Even if I thought I followed the instructions I wrote myself, a simple distraction can make everything wrong. TASTE IT!!! before it is used.

DRAGON SMOKE BBQ
KCBS BBQ judge
http://www.brianbaitystudio.com
Sponsored by: Original Charcoal Company (http://www.originalcharcoal.com) Lofte's Private Club and Restaurant
10-08-2007 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Like others, I think what I learned was to cut it all.. Look at it all ... Have someone else taste it (my sense of taste and smell after cooking for 13-14 hours is rather shot) - and then and only then make your decision as to what you are going to turn in... I am most thankful/grateful for my wife who has been there to do the tasting and help with the garnish at all of my comps this season... She has been invaluable!! 8)

Also learned - not all wood has been "seasoned" (despite the claims of the seller!!) And boy, will you know it in a hurry... :shock:

Hoochie
10-08-2007 03:13 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Infamous Dave Offline

The one thing that comes to mind for me is that it doesn't matter what you cook on and how much gear you have, in the end all that matters is what the meat tastes and looks like. The judge doesn't know if you cooked on a $10,000 smoker built by a 5th generation BBQ family out of Tenesse or if you got a hand-me-down for $50 bucks off of KSL classifieds.
So anyone out there hesitating, jump in next year. These events are so fun the people you meet are so cool!
And now my food advice... Don't burn the meat, you will get higher scores Big Grin

Infamous Dave
www.skinnyboysbbq.com
KCBS Certified Judge
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
If tomorrow may be my last, I want BBQ today!
10-08-2007 08:07 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well said Dave :wink:

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-08-2007 08:18 PM
SlowJoes Offline
Spuds BBQ Co

PackerBacker;p="6164 Wrote:Ok.... I will throw mine in the mix :oops:

No matter how often or how many lbs of rub you have made,( I have made the same rub for a couple years now) always taste it before using it! When in dought, toss it in the trash! I doubled up on one spice Sad

Dave

Tongue Tongue Tongue I am most glad that I'm not the only one to do that.
What did I learn????
If you vacuum seal your prepped ribs, make sure the bag doesn't have a hole in it where water can gain access. Lincoln City
Don't check things off your checklist if they aren't packed in the truck. Albany, Lincoln City and Lynnwood
Make sure you use a checklist especially if you are far from home. It sucks to buy more of what you already have sitting on your counter at home. Everywhere but Star.
Make sure your child eats more than sweets for breakfast or you'll leaving the campsite early thanks to a sick little one. Hyrum
Once your meat is prepped or in the smoker, take time to wander around and meet some of the finest folks around. It will truly help you relax. Everywhere comp you go to
I am really looking forward to seeing all of you next year. We WILL be sampling that Utah hospitality.

Joe,
Spud's BBQ Co.
10-09-2007 08:07 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo guys, for those of you that I see lately that are making the purschase of motorhomes make sure that you have enough toilet paper when you leave home. Hard to find R.V. paper once you get out there. I found out that some camp grounds have such items. I will not make that mistake again. I also learned to pack with a check list and not to trust the memory it never fails you are bound to leave something. Thanks again guy's for a great year.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

UTAH SMOKE
COMPETITION
BBQ TEAM

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.q4u.com">www.q4u.com</a><!-- w -->
10-09-2007 08:29 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Is that all you can come up with as far as a BBQ lesson learned? :roll: Butt wipe? I guess you are good :wink:

T. you know, this is all in fun! Big Grin

Love ya Man
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
10-09-2007 09:04 PM
truoc444 Offline

I have another one. Make friends with the butcher in your favorite grocery store. That way you don't have to search everywhere for meat every cook. Just give him a schedule and magically you have good meat each cook.

Southern Rootz BBQ...Because it's easier than saying I'm from Texas and only got stuck in Utah when my Car broke down
10-09-2007 09:25 PM
Pegleg Offline

I'm not a cook but as a facilitator/organzier ---- twelve judges not eleven!!!! When someone believes in you more than you believe in yourself listen to the other people. Ultimately you discover you can accomplish things you never thought possible and when under pressure there is always a solution to every issue. As a good friend on this board has repeatedly said to me, "when you surround yourself with postive people you achieve positive results" (something like that). I don't care if I ever compete or even judge again, the association I've had with all of you this year and the effect you've had on my family is something I will take with me for a very long time. I have enjoyed every minute working with all of you and I'm very grateful for your kindness and paitence while I have been learning the ropes. Thank you for allowing me and my family to provide that service to all of you as cooks, competitors and friends. (Mushy?? -- who cares)!!

Lyle
10-10-2007 08:03 AM
Swine Steward Offline

If you're using a WSM on sand, keep in mind that those thin little legs will sink further into the sand whenever you add more weight to it. Charcoal, water, meat, anything. And it starts to tilt as it sinks further. So the lesson learned here is to bring an oil pan to rest the WSMs on. It looks classier than the crushed beer cans I did end up using.
10-13-2007 12:01 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

What I've learned is "Nothing Beats a good Butt Rub"
10-14-2007 04:15 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

A good (baby) back rub is tough to beat also.
10-14-2007 05:42 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Big Grin Simple Green cuts the grease off of grills like magic. I soaked them in a kids 5' wading pool left over from the summer season.($11.00 @ Kings in Logan) Just fill them with water and SG and let 'em sit 24 hrs, (that's as soon as I could get to them) give them a light brushing, hose them off with warm water and they look like new. They have more than 24 of the hard plastic pools left over. If your grills are shorter than 60 inches measured across the diagonal you won't need much water. I needed to flip mine end for end.
10-15-2007 07:26 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

The best advice is found on the lid of a jar of mayonnaise: "Keep cool but do not freeze".
10-16-2007 04:58 PM
no1plumber Offline
Banned

Never had my ribs rubed. :oops:
10-16-2007 09:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A few things i have learned this year and want to pass on LT72884 2 617 05-21-2013 11:06 PM
Last Post: LT72884